• This topic has 20 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by aP.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Have you taken a bike, in a bike bag, on the tube?
  • tall_martin

Prety much as the title. I'm off to the states via Heathrow soon with my bike in a bike bag. I am hoping to take it on the tube from Kings cross(due to being a cheap skate) as the only other option I can come up with is to get a taxi to paddington and get the train from there.

Can it be done?

Thanks for any help:)

Martin

noteeth
    Free Member

Yeah, I did it on my way to catching a plane (to the states), some years back.

I got some evil looks, mind.

tall_martin

Ta for that.

Wasit the public or the staff who were giving you evils?

curiousorange
    Free Member

Yes, you can can bikes on the tube. Just not during rush hour monday to friday.

mingsta
    Free Member

Yup bike in a bag is fine on any tube.

As for an unbagged bike, the last time I checked (that was about 4 years ago) you can only do this on overland tubes, such as district line.

Lanesra
    Free Member

Bikes are allowed on surface tube lines/stops and the district line

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/bicycle-tube-map.pdf

tall_martin

it will be in a bag, so thanks for the advice:) Hopefuly i'll avoid the expensive option.

ononeorange

Taken an empty bike bag on the deep tube in rush hour (when I picked it up) which is effectively the same thing, no bother. But I'd definitely avoid the Piccadilly Line in any case between 8am and 9.15am as it will be absolutely packed.

saxabar
    Free Member

Yes, as above – lots of evils. Kinda bounces off you when you're the smug git going away! Paris is a pain in the proverbial with bike bags though. Interesting mention of the District Line, I didn't know that.

nbt

The tube out to heathrow takes *ages*, though – a heck of a lot longer than the train

doug_basqueMTB.com

Yeah, I've done it. Liverpool St to Stanstead I think around 7:30am so starting to get busy. Came back about 6pm on a Friday too! It's fine, you just have to have a thick skin because people will look at you like you're Gary Glitter in a playground.

BigDummy
    Free Member

As others, it is entirely doable.

Just a thought. If you're coming South on the train to Kings X, could you in fact route West to Reading and bypass London entirely? There's a bus link from a couple of stations (I forget exactly which) to Heathrow. That might save the aggravation of the interminable tube journey.

njee20
    Free Member

Stansted's not on the underground?

I'd say it'd be pretty rude to do it in rush hour, but if that doesn't bother you, or you're not going at rush hour go mental.

Edit: Woking and Reading have 'Rail Air' coach links, but it's not that easy to divert from the East Coast Main Line to Reading, as Cross Country services tend to only join in at the more Northern end, and it otherwise becomes a right faff to get across.

hora
    Free Member

Yes. I used to live in West Hampstead and sneak down to Victoria occassionally on my way to Dorking etc. I used a NZ bodybag that folds right back down into a small scquare. Sod all the staff can do as its dissembled and 'luggage' so no longer a bike.

http://www.groundeffect.co.nz/product-detail-BOD-BAG.htm

doug_basqueMTB.com

Oh yeah, I meant taken tube to Liverpool St to get the train to stanstead! Sorry, too early in the morning! I got the sleeper from Glasgow so had no choice as to when I went.

Aidy
    Free Member

Yeah, I'd avoid rush hour at all costs.
    It will just lead to huge amounts of annoyance for you and all others. I'd generally prefer to be at the airport 2 hours early than have to fight my way through commuters on the tube with a bike bag.

hora
    Free Member

For holiday? I'd get a mate to give me a lift or airport taxi TBH. Just too stressful with all your kit etc.

tall_martin

I should avoid the rush hour, I get in at 12.

<Starts practicing London tube zombie look-staring straight ahead like nothing bothers me>

Trimix
    Free Member

Make sure you shave first and dont look like your from the Middle East (or Brazil)

kimbers

re bagged up bikes on airport buses i was told by one driver he wasnt obliged to take my bike as it was too big

have done manor house to heathrow on the picadilly but id advise against it in rush hour as it will be a stress

aP
    Free Member

On the tube allow 3 minutes per station passed for an indication of journey length – KingsX/St Pancras to Heathrow T5 is approx 56 minutes.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Have you taken a bike, in a bike bag, on the tube?’ is closed to new replies.