• This topic has 143 replies, 54 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by hora.
Viewing 24 posts - 121 through 144 (of 144 total)
  • Have you seen a Ghost?
  • richmtb

I think that the vast majority of, what I shall call for brevity, ‘supernatural’ events are fake. Mistakes, hope, grief, fear, greed, dishonesty.

Yours presumably are all genuine though?

How is this NOT confirmation bias?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Scrappy wouldn’t have reacted to Sam’s ‘ghost’- they were BFFs in this world

You sure he would not have gone to say goodbye – just ignored it completely

No offence but this is just silly. your dog died and you think it came =back to say goodbye. that is the basis of this story and ntohing i say will alter your opinion

check out some quantum physics. It makes doggy-ghosts look positively quotidien

Well except for the data collection bit and the analysis of independently verifiable facts.

Just because the truth is strange than fiction

As for the rest you are remembering the few times you did this and it came true and ignoring the thousands of other times that you had these thoughts and nothing at all happened

Karinofnine

richmtb: because I’m not trying to con anyone, and I am quite sanguine about the events that are simple happenstance.

These are just standard replies from people who don’t want to accept there’s something odd going on 🙂

gonefishin
    Free Member

…and yours is the standard response of a someone with a closed mind who doesn’t want to accept simple, reasonable explanations of what at first hand appears to be odd goings on.

hora
    Free Member

I’m a sceptic however there has been instances that couldn’t be explained away (to me).

There was a tiny plastic toy box. The toys were all tightly packed into the box in such a way that it couldn’t be replicated. I commented on this to mrshora. She hadn’t done it and neither had our son (1 at the time). No matter what neither of us could do this. In addition at night the bin in the kitchen used to lift and drop on its own. No wind/windows open and only when I put a 5litre bottle of water ontop did this stop. If I didn’t it used to do this every other night.

The last owner died/lay in the kitchen from a heart attack/retiree.

Recently we found out another woman had died prematurely (30 yr old) in the back living room.

Do I believe? Unsure, never seen one but things happen that can’t be explained leave me perplexed.

pictonroad

Its interesting that most peoples ‘experiences’ of ghost and contacting the dead etc in the UK closely mirror the writings and culture of the Victorian period that really popularised the occult for the first time.

People who claim to be completely unconnected report the same experience and rather that connect that to a shared memory of cultural influence this is then used to prove a connection that must be supernatural.

It’s total nonsense, ghostly encounters differ around the globe and surprise surprise, they reflect the common beliefs of the culture. An unexplained visit in the night will be dead pets in the UK, ancestors in the Aboriginal people, jungle spirits in Brazil.

We are far more influenced by culture and upbringing than the spirits of trillions of dead creatures.

Junkyard
    Free Member

These are just standard replies from people who don’t want to accept there’s something odd going on

What I want is neither here not there in what the evidence suggests.

Have we been called close minded yet?

Karinofnine

@Junkyard, no you haven’t been called it, but I have, a few posts up.

I accept science AND supernatural.

Scientists only accept science.

Who’s mind is closed?

gonefishin
    Free Member

Well what would persuade you that all of the things you have mentioned aren’t the result of anything supernatural?

derek_starship
    Free Member

I had a frightening and inexplicable experience in 1990.

I will never forget it.

I was completely lucid and have no doubt that what happened was paranormal.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I accept science AND supernatural.

Who’s mind is closed?
    yours as by accepting it you have done wso without questioning it and any evdicne that suggest alternative explanations are rejected out of hand
    There is nothing other than science as science really means data you cannot get me data on any of things you suggest and if you could you would be a millionaire and James Rhandi would look foolish

best of luck with your challenge under scientific conditions

Drac

I know the difference between spiders, flies, goosebumps, mice and drafts; and the feeling of a dog.

I bet you don’t in a dark room or with your eyes closed.

It’s nice you want to believe your dead dog wanted to say goodbye but it doesn’t make it right because science “hasn’t caught up”.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

I always get deep into threads such as these (established fact vs. unsubstantiated rumour) and have an overwhelming sense of grief…all of the contributors probably have the right to vote, and breed. 😐

Drac

I always get deep into threads such as these (established fact vs. unsubstantiated rumour) and have an overwhelming sense of grief…all of the contributors probably have the right to vote, and breed

Thanks your for your valuable contribution.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

“There is much that science doesn’t understand, many mysteries
    still to be resolved. In a Universe tens of billions of light years
    across and some ten or fifteen billion years old, this may be the
    case forever. We are constantly stumbling on surprises. Yet some
    New Age and religious writers assert that scientists believe that
    ‘what they find is all there is’. Scientists may reject mystic
    revelations for which there is no evidence except somebody’s
    say-so, but they hardly believe their knowledge of Nature to be
    complete.
    Science is far from a perfect instrument of knowledge. It’s just
    the best we have. In this respect, as in many others, it’s like democracy. Science by itself cannot advocate courses of human
    action, but it can certainly illuminate the possible consequences of
    alternative courses of action.

The scientific way of thinking is at once imaginative and
    disciplined. This is central to its success. Science invites us to let
    the facts in, even when they don’t conform to our preconceptions.
    It counsels us to carry alternative hypotheses in our heads and see
    which best fit the facts. It urges on us a delicate balance between
    no-holds-barred openness to new ideas, however heretical, and
    the most rigorous sceptical scrutiny of everything – new ideas and
    established wisdom. This kind of thinking is also an essential tool
    for a democracy in an age of change.

One of the reasons for its success is that science has built-in,
    error-correcting machinery at its very heart. Some may consider
    this an overbroad characterization, but to me every time we
    exercise self-criticism, every time we test our ideas against the
    outside world, we are doing science. When we are self-indulgent
    and uncritical, when we confuse hopes and facts, we slide into
    pseudoscience and superstition. “

The Demon Haunted World – P28/29 Carl Sagan

organic355
    Free Member

Stayed in this bothy once. It was supposed to be haunted by the ghost of some girl murdered there. It was a helluva creepy place in the pitch black. There was always this sense of “something” there that made your hairs stand up. I took the picture as we were leaving. The others didnt even want to look back at the place. I swear i could see something in the window. Even the picture creeps me out..

scuzz
    Free Member

You seem to be so sure of yoruself. The irony is, no scientist would ever have as much confidence in their understanding of the universe as that which you appear to profess.

Take the scientists who make great boasts about the accuracy and precision of their experiments and theoretical predictions – they say things like “We’ve measured this phenomena to an accuracy equivalent to measuring the distance between New York and LA to within the width of a human hair” and all I hear is “We’re brilliant at predicting this stuff, and yet we still can’t say it’s fact! No one knows whether the next decimal place will disprove our theories!”

These are people who are 99.99993% certain, based on the combined works of thousands of others, and yet still have discipline which prevents them from saying things are ‘fact’.

It doesn’t really compare with ‘I just knew it’.
    And nothing you say ever will, except that which you can measure to 99.99994% accuracy.

(disclaimer: I don’t know anything)

LHS
    Free Member

Nope, non-believer here, but in my years on this planet i have had one thing which the scientist in me couldn’t explain and that was when i was cooking in the kitchen of a previous house and a glass of water i had put on the kitchen table suddently just slid off the table and smashed against a cupboard door.

Spent the last 15 years trying to figure that one out to no avail.

organic355
    Free Member

was it in a tumbler?

wrecker
    Free Member

I don’t believe in ghosts, but I hope my dog comes back to say goodbye when he expires. I love that dog.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Here’s one way that could happen – an impromptu air bearing.

If the tumblr had a depression in it’s base, and if the surface was either very smooth or had a little water on, then it’s possible for the trapped air to suspend the glass with VERY low friction, so either a breath of wind, or a very very small un-levelness of the surface would send it scooting off.

The interesting bit is if [for example, other ways this could happen are possible too] the contents were warmer than the tumbler, it might take a few seconds for the pressure to be generated, so you could put it down, mind your own business, and then later see it suddenly scoot off and smash.

jekkyl

Sometimes near the end of a ride with my mate on fridays we approach a public house and then suddenly my memory jumps to riding away from the pub but my wallet is lacking a £10 note, very spooky, my wife doesn’t agree.

LHS
    Free Member

gofasterstripes, that was my hypothesis too and one i am sticking too as i have seen this before but in very slow motion, the part i can’t rationlise is for this process to give the glass enough speed to strike a cupboard approx 1.5metres from the table.

Love the tumbler joke!

hora
    Free Member

I once watched the documentary Beetlejuice.

Viewing 24 posts - 121 through 144 (of 144 total)

The topic ‘Have you seen a Ghost?’ is closed to new replies.