Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)
  • Have You not heard of iDave, or…
  • thomthumb
    Free Member

no respect for the gift that is their life

i don't believe it is a gift.

Cougar

Lower stomach? What are these people? Ruminents? I only have a single stomach…

Dunno about anyone else, but I have a regular stomach and a pudding stomach.

Cougar

Losing weight is as simple as eating less and moving more.

Often, but not always. If that were true in all cases, my OH would be six stone and I'd be 40.

molgrips
    Free Member

I don't have much sympathy for people who get them selves into that state

I do. It sucks being trapped by your own brain.

cinnamon_girl

OK, I'll have a wee rantette:

Education: years ago, when my kids were at school, they had one term of cookery. Fortunately I exercised regularly so cooked reasonably healthily and passed on my knowledge/experience. But I am in the minority so a lot of children are not being educated re healthy eating, nutrition etc.

Supermarkets: they need to be taken in hand by the Government. BOGOF offers in the main are junk food. Also I recently noticed in Sainsbury's one bottle of wine being sold at £8.99. However, if you bought 3 bottles of this wine, it would cost you £9.99. For 3 bottles. 😯

Good quality food is expensive hence it being cheaper to buy a McDonald's. It's a no-brainer for many.

I'll stop here … for now.

Cougar

when my kids were at school, they had one term of cookery.

Likewise. My cookery lessons consisted of 'how best to boil water – kettle / pan on stove / oven' and making chocolate Rice Krispies. Set me up for life all right, that did.

Keva
    Free Member

when I left home at about 18yrs old I didn't even know how to boil a potato or even cook pasta. I lived off fast food, ready made meals, sweets, cigarettes, alocohol and drugs. After a couple of years my health was so poor I could barely get up to go to work and when I did get up I felt like total shite. Something had to be done, I couldn't continue this way, I had no quality of life. So what did I do ? Started running, bought a mountain bike and learned to cook… that was twenty years ago.

Kev

D0NK

C_G sorry I don't see the problem, supermarkets discount what they want and people buy what they want, within reason that sounds OK to me. Besides I've seen a heck of a lot of fresh fruit and veg on offer in store and on adverts lately so it's not all pushing junk food on people. It's like the £ per unit thing they are thinking of for alchohol, just cos a few lot of pissheads go out and get wrecked and trash the place and each other every weekend we're all gonna have to pay more for our little tipple.

"Eat less move more" would work for a high percentage of overweight people, there will always be exceptions and bona fide medical conditions like your own but i think the general rule still stands.
    Should definitley be more education for kids tho, dunno how much there is now but we got naff all except fruit=good chips=bad

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

when my kids were at school, they had one term of cookery. Fortunately I exercised regularly so cooked reasonably healthily and passed on my knowledge/experience

Right, from this I deduce that you're a good parent, that your children now how to cook, and are probably quite fit and healthy….

How are things are C_G Towers? 😉

cinnamon_girl

I accept I could be totally wrong here but surely cookery/nutrition/diet should be on the school curriculum and not just a token one term wonder. It's part of life skills surely so therefore should feature equally amongst the core subjects taught?

I am the last person who wants a nanny state but the fact is that we are all paying for obesity/alcoholism/smoking etc etc. Of course if we had ignored the U.S. of A. in their belief that the holy grail was consumerism, we wouldn't be in this mess.

'Personal responsibility' seems to feature less and less in this world!

In The Times today, spirits giant Diageo said sales in the U.K. were up 5% in the past year. Hmmmm.

TSY – my kids are skinny and healthy-ish! Daughter is not impressed by the cuisine at C_G Towers – buffalo burger with mozzarella was shown the bin. 😯

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

😯 Was it not rare enough?

cinnamon_girl

It was delicious. 😀

Mind you, haven't told her about the buffalo milk ice cream hidden in the freezer – I have never tasted ice cream as fantastic as this. 8)

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

What is it with buffalo? What have you got against cows?

cinnamon_girl

Buffalo sausages are good too. Nothing against cows and buffalo is low cholesterol.

I only eat meat a couple of times a week but am very picky of its source so mostly biodynamically farmed.

Cows chase me … sometimes. 🙁

simply_oli_y
    Free Member

can i get a copy of this plan too? cheers

Monkeeknutz
    Free Member

I really don't understand how schools are held accountable for the delivery of healthy eating advice to children, is there nothing left a parent should teach their child? We have to teach them to be citizens, how society works at its most basic levels, how banks operate, how to eat, how to wipe their arses, how not to get the local bike up the duff…the list goes on and on and on and on and on….

Parents, teach your children how to be people, then schools can get on with delivering the area specific knowledge that might lift them out of the cultural bumhole of x-factor, and the ****' lottery…

and breathe…

molgrips
    Free Member

"Eat less move more" would work for a high percentage of overweight people

Like I say, easier to say than to do.

I think that half the problem is that there's too much waffle. People get really confused and start trying to do ridiculous things, then give up cos it's impossible to live with.

People think it's either "normal" food (ie chips/pies) or some kind of weird cabbage soup and humus regime. So yes to education.

cinnamon_girl

/FoxyChick to the Forum/ or any other teaching professionals please.

What do children learn at school about food, calorie intake, calorie expenditure, nutrients, source of meat/vegetables, what constitutes a balanced diet etc etc?

Naturally parents should impart this information but could it be that some parents do not know themselves? Presumably you eat a balanced diet as you ride a bike? But it's only in the last couple of decades that nutrition has played a massive part in professional sport.

I think it's really important to have available good quality food – ie chicken that has not been battery-farmed, animals that aren't pumped full of goodness-knows what etc. In real terms food is now cheaper but the quality is worse.

An idea, for a school day trip, a visit to a local farm to learn and see what goes on. Just a thought.

Perhaps if we all were able to enjoy good quality food, ie free range, hormone free, reared in humane conditions then we would actually appreciate that it has some flavour. Instead, we shovel more and more tasteless pap into our mouths and our tastebuds have no job to do.

Let people see where these battery chickens are kept and perhaps they would think differently. For example, Andover in Hampshire has around 6 of these aircraft hangars with no natural light and a putrid smell. Those are only the ones I have seen on my walks in that vicinity, there could be more.

Do people realise fruit and vegetables are seasonal? The British fruit and veg is particularly delicious this year but I bet many people just stick to bananas/apples/mange tout or whatever gets flown in from abroad.

And whilst we're at, get rid of those stupid cooking programmes on TV. 🙄

Now the good news – C_G is getting off her soapbox to drink her organic beer. 8)

Cheers.

cinnamon_girl

YES

Another thread killer, woohoo 8)

(Better check my spellin in da mornin')

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Don't crack open another beer just yet!

cinnamon_girl

No more for me tonight, I'm a lightweight. 😉

(Awaits a morning surprise).

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

2/10.

Far too coherent. Some rational points, some of them even practical to apply. No swearing, or excessive use of capitals. Punctuation and spelling seem ok too.

I've awarded points for the banning of stupid shows when some of these have been used already, to great effect, to highlight your earlier points.

😆

cinnamon_girl

I've awarded points for the banning of stupid shows when some of these have been used already, to great effect, to highlight your earlier points.

You've lost me, but I'm a wee bit pi**ed. 😳

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

That rubber mouthed mockney spent weeks banging on about battery hens etc, pukka. 🙂

cinnamon_girl

My ex-fiancee? I must have missed that. He's avoiding me on here. 🙁

Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘Have You not heard of iDave, or…’ is closed to new replies.