Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Have you (knowingly) bought from targeted online advertising?
  • convert

I just have for the first time to my knowledge. Have been searching for a few months for a bit of furniture that was tricky to find and done a load of searching so it’s no surprise that a lot of the adverts on websites (on work computer that I can’t put an adblocker on) have featured said item. Saw a piece I had not seen before, liked it, clicked on it, bought it.

To my knowledge I’ve never been snared by the stuff but clearly it can work.

Anyone ever bought anything bizarre just because it’s popped up on your targeted ads?

kayak23

I’m impulsive. I normally buy something, and then have months of targeted advertising showing me the thing I’ve already bought…
    🙂

whitestone
    Free Member

Never even look at adverts never mind click on them.

DrP

Yeah.
    I’m a sucker.

Things include:
    -Grappeling hook
    -windscreen wiper cutters
    -bike parts

Hey ho, no-one died.

DrP

stevious

Yep, have bought some clothes via (presumably) targeted facebook ads.

I’ve never gone for those ones that suggest a specific product though, ;argely because the reason I’m seeing it is because I’ve just bought something like it.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I keep perusing the ladies underwear adverts that come up on here, none of it suits me though so never buy it.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Nope.

hammyuk
    Free Member

The Southern Yeti – Member
    I keep perusing the ladies underwear adverts that come up on here, none of it suits me though so never buy it.

Thats because your bum looks big in it….

jonnyboi

I would have bought a grappling hook too.

DezB
    Free Member

Nope, as kayak23 – I only ever see ads for things I’ve already bought.

DezB
    Free Member

I would have bought a grappling hook too.

They’re not as easy to use as it looks on the films, you know.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Nahh, ads is f’ saddos.

DT78
    Free Member

Tudor watch and masserati

righog
    Free Member

No, but I am convinced that “they” can hear me, as I get targeted advertising for stuff i have talked about but not yet searched for.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

No – I don’t usually notice them at all! Sometimes I notice that they’re all for whatever it is I’ve recently been researching but that’s about it.

funkmasterp

I’ve got a massively heavy metal cube and a spinning top.

duffle
    Free Member

Never knew I needed a power kite…..until I was told/shown

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Never. You can set your browser to better manage the bullshit you don’t want. Obviously some sites are designed to oppose these measures and/or you allow it in order to use the site.

For the most part I get no adverts (even blocks most YT pre ads) and they are about random things, not stuff I’ve previously searched for. So it seems to work for me for now.

Don’t log in to google every time you go on the internet. If you use IE avoid toolbars and add-ons other than Flash and Java which can be set to be slightly more robust. Manage cookie usage deleting after and/or during a session, don’t allow tracking requests, use built-in pop up and ad blockers from legitimate sources. Ideally use your browsers secure option on sites you deem to be taking the piss or avoid them all together (if possible) and find alternative sources.

You can go much further if you like!

Cougar

avoid toolbars and add-ons other than Flash and Java which can be set to be slightly more robust.

I’ve uninstalled both of those. Java used to be common on the web but it’s very rare these days. Most people have it installed unnecessarily. Flash is still in use but is dying, thankfully.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Don’t think so

choppersquad
    Free Member

I’ve just bought a Russian bride.
    Can’t wait for the postie to arrive.
    Hope Mrs Squad is as excited as me?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Tudor watch and masserati

After the exceptional work of Lloyd’s Private Banking, I traded mine in for a Role and a Bentayga.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

@ Cougar – Yeah even YT defaults to html5 video.

There are still places other people visit where they need these things though.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Have you (knowingly) bought from targeted online advertising?’ is closed to new replies.