Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Have you had your lung capacity tested?
  • Ti29er
    Free Member

A few of us were musing over the difference between the really fast riders at Bonty 24 (& the rest of us!) & wondered about the size of peoples lungs.
    Two guys had had their lungs measured and they were 102% and 115%. That's against the national average.

Anyone else been tested and care to share?

Is it genetics (size of the heart and lungs) that's going to make the ultimate difference at the Elite end of the spectrum – assuming all other considerations being equal?

I appreciate you can build muscle (inc' the heart) but I am not sure you're going to make much impact on the world of bike racing if your lungs are just average sized! Or am I wrong?

firestarter
    Free Member

i had mine done at work recently as i was exposed to asbestos at a fire and i was 125% and im not fit so dont know how it works. A also smoked like i chimney my twelve years in the forces tho ive been stopped for the last eight in the fire brigade. Oh thats also after recovering from a collapsed lung and pneumonia. I failed the lung function test three times before being allowed back to work. I couldnt even get the breathing asapatus to kick in at the first breath mechanism as i had no power in my lungs so a good recovery by all accounts lol. Actually i had a chest xray a few weeks back and my lungs are clear and ive a big strong heart so alls good 🙂 lol

ourmaninthenorth

A few of us were musing over the difference between the really fast riders at Bonty 24 (& the rest of us!) & wondered about the size of peoples lungs.

It's not quite that, but you're not far off. Google "VO2max", and see the effect of having a massively efficient "engine" is on performance. Couple this with the ability to turn out high power (which is essentially a function of VO2, as I understand), and you're bound for glory.

The key factor in whether someone is destined for the top or the bottom is dictated by natural physiology. Sure, you can train that, but having the basis inately in you is what's needed.

TooTall
    Free Member

The physiology is important and you need to look at the whole rather than a single function. I've got a lung capacity over 11 litres – the doc made me do the test again to check his readings (having a diving medical at the time). This is rather large, but there is a lot of me to haul about, so all relative I guess.

Ti29er
    Free Member

I thought so. Average height, size 9 boots, and average lungs. These are now my excuses for not being an elite performer. Never mind the gut and the lack of time on the bike nor the life-long dedication to be No1, it's actually my parent's fault – clearly! 😉

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Have you had your lung capacity tested?’ is closed to new replies.