Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Have you gotten more emotional as you've gotten older/ had kids etc…
  • DrP

I’m sure I used to be quite emotionally ‘tough’ – I’d get sad at sad things, but wouldn’t really cry through films etc.

Nowadays I seem to be a fragile little flower – saw Guardians of the Galaxy 2 last night – cried.
    I was blubbing at the film ‘Contact’.
    There are certain songs I can’t listen to on the radio for fear of my eye shadow running (Cat Stevens, Father and Son is a big one – was in GotG2, so that was a double whammy).
    Those Syria kids adverts on TV make me a wreck.

I’m sure a HUGE turning point was having kids – the ‘fear of something bad happening’ could become crippling if not kept in check, couldn’t it..

Do I need to up my dose of ‘man pills’, or is everyone like this but just doesn’t share it?!

DrP

IHN

MrsIHN loves laughing at me as a tear runs down my cheek in the final of Great British Bake Off…

I think it’s a ‘going through a major life event’ thing; in my case I think it was the breakdown of my previous marriage. Since then I’ve been soft as $hite.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

All I can say is…. Apocalypse Now has been knocked off the top spot in my all time favorite films by …. Paddington. 😀

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    weeksy

Nopes.

wwaswas

Toy Story 3.

I’m saying no more.

teasel
    Free Member

Going through grief at the moment. The only thing that’s tangible right now is immense anger, particularly around other folk.

I’ve cried enough in my life; reckon the tear ducts are shrivelled and worn out.

Edit : No kids so probably par for the course.

Murray

I used to be pretty tough, held it together when my brother died but cried at the end of Love Story.

Since having kids I’m definitely more prone to crying. Not a fear of what could happen to them , I’m just generally more emotional. I’ve also started swimming (which I used to hate) and dancing (which I’m really rubbish at) because of the kids.

DezB
    Free Member

Have you gotten more emotional as you’ve gotten older/ hadkids etc…

Yes, but Cat Stevens only makes me cry cos I hate his voice.
    GotG2 was great though eh? 🙂

cheers_drive

Mrs CD always ribbed me for not having ever seen me cry or get upset, especially at our wedding and birth of of daughter.
    Being a father has changed it though, I feel much more emotional, especially about news and stories involving kids. The recent Rio Ferdinand documentary had me in bits.

phil40
    Free Member

Yes I am far more emotional!

Having children, I am now soft as anything, and much much happier for it!

marcus
    Free Member

I was an emotional vacuum. I’ve sprung a few leaks recently, since having children and learning to actually GAS what other people care about.

chakaping
    Free Member

What phil40 said.

whitestone
    Free Member

I haven’t “gotten” anything.

I’ve become more emotional at some things and less emotional at others. I presume it’s called life.

perchypanther
    Free Member

“Guido!…..It’s Time”

Every. Single. Time.

nickc

I think it was John Peel who said in his diaries that up to the age of 35 he’d never cried, but after that he’d not been able to stop.

Sums me up

ton

yes, deffo. had a bit of a blub on sunday night watching Saving Mr Banks.

scud
    Free Member

This is me..! To look at me i’m 100kgs of rugby prop forward and ex-7 Para RHA short haired square lout, yet since my daughter was born, i’m often reduced to a blubbering wreck, worst is watching the disabled athletes at London Marathon or the old boys wearing their medals and marching at the Cenotaph, welling up even thinking about it!!

I believe in “good discipline” but all my daughter needs to do is smile at me and she has me wrapped round her little finger (usually buying a Trolls toy for her)

fisha
    Free Member

I am so glad I’m not the only one like this. I’d consider myself quite stiff upper lipped at work and can handle most things including the most gruesome.

but when it comes to kids and relating to what happens to some and the thought of that happening to mine son … i just change and cant help the tears … “err my eye is just itchy dear

Its definitely been since my son was born. I really now get when people say its one of the best things and totally changes you.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

This is me..! To look at me i’m 100kgs of rugby prop forward and ex-7 Para RHA short haired square lout…

😆

You sound like my brother-in-law. Military contractor in various hotspots, boxed for the RE (and did very well by all accounts), did sneaky-peaky blowy-uppy stuff in the Balkans, looks like a bulldog chewing a wasp and vowed he’d never have a daughter… Which he now has and dotes on like you wouldn’t believe.

😀

SaxonRider

Definitely. I lost my dad two years ago, and have kids, so the combination of those factors makes me hyper-aware of my own, and others’, mortality.

On that note, I can think of quite a few films that we’ve watched with the kids, at which I have welled up.

I’m a complete mushy wreck.

legend
    Free Member

So can we surmise that this all kicks off roughly the same time as sleep deprivation does?

woody2000

Nope, I’m still an emotionless void. More robot than human me.

DrP

^^

I’m not convinced it’s sleep deprivation (though that throws up tonnes of other issues..)
    I’m settled in teh sleep pattern now (7 + 2 year old).

I think it’s an evolutionary thing.

Bascially, if you were to decribe having children and write it down on paper, you would be forgiven for wanting to put the little things in a box and drop them off the side of a boat. It’s tantamount to torture, especially the first few months/years (though doesn’t get easier).
    I’m sure there’s a ‘switch’ that flicks (at children, and big life events) that simply turns ‘up’ the emotions to 11.. a survival mechanism not for you, but your offspring. If you didn’t have it, your offspring would be eaten. by you.

Anyway, this is DrP’s morning therapy session over – I’m glad it’s not just me who can admit all this 🙂

DrP

legend
    Free Member

Previously had it described to me as “chemical love”. It’s the only thing that could possibly make using your hand to remove sick from a car seat acceptable….

scud
    Free Member

For me it is not just the emotional thing when my daughter was born, i have become more community minded, i have seen a lot more of my own family and enjoy spending time with my in-laws whereas before i was happy to see family once a year. I’ve become more interested in politics and community as i want the world to improve for my daughter to.

pictonroad

Much more emotional and also strangely capable of the most revolting acts. Found myself idly picking half a biscuit up off the floor and eating it rather than face ANOTHER trip to the bin.

My younger self would be ashamed, parenthood, tricky fella.

Coyote
    Free Member

Much more emotional since having children and also much more aware of issues in the world. However I see this as a good thing.

bodgy
    Free Member

Yup, used to be quite the stoic, now much less resilient, especially since kids/kids growing up and leaving. My failings and poor choices accumulate.

ourmaninthenorth

No. Probably less so (and I was never much of a crier).

But I put this down to other factors and life experiences during the same time period, rather than becoming a parent.

johndoh
    Free Member

As everyone above – kids did it for me.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Less

GrahamS

Yep – massively so.

I blub at kid’s movies.

Not even just at the sad bits, but also at the heroic bits, the coming-of-age bits, the lost childhood innocence bits, the betrayal of trust bits, …

And I absolutely hate reading the news if there any kids involved.

I think it’s an evolutionary thing.
    I’m sure there’s a ‘switch’ that flicks (at children, and big life events) that simply turns ‘up’ the emotions to 11..

Definitely.

There is evidence that new fathers can experience some large hormonal changes: decrease in testosterone and an increase estrogen, oxytocin, prolactin and glucocorticoids.

As well as other neurological changes:
    http://www.livescience.com/46322-fatherhood-changes-brain.html

GavinT
    Free Member

Yeah afraid so.

Watched Blackadder with my teenage kids. After the finale of season 4 I couldn’t speak for several minute without breaking up.

SaxonRider

There is a true(?) story about a Canadian folk singer doing something rather heroic that I cannot tell without starting to cry. It’s pathetic.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Yeah, it’s a bit odd at times. When I was young I was worried I was an emotion retard, stuff would happen that would floor some people and it didn’t put a dent in me.

Now I find myself getting all dewy eyed over the softest stuff.

I’m glad in a way, when I was a kid “Dads” tended to sit in their chair, smoke and scowl rather than talk, they only seemed happy when something really horrible happened. I didn’t want to be like that.

martinhutch

Yeah, soft as shite now.

I blub at kid’s movies.

Start of ‘Up’ is a killer for me. 🙂

theotherjonv

+1 here as well.

The night my first daughter was born i told my wife we didn’t ‘own’ her, just had her on loan until she was old enough to find her own way or find someone to look after her instead.

Seems like yesterday but she’s now 13, and in five years time will most likely have been offered and accepted a University place and will be preparing to leave a big empty space behind.

Tissue please……

Fortunately I have lots of practice now – Nanny McPhee is the one which currently kills me.

Reckon I’ve got less so as I’ve gotten older.

So many deaths of friends, colleagues and relatives to deal with. And if not death, so much long term illness or mental trauma. Witnessing the breakdown of so many apparently stable and happy relationships.
    Realising it won’t get any better and there’s no way out (unless you believe in silicon heaven).

Realising that one day, no matter how much you care for them, this is all going to happen to your children.

If you let it all get to you, you might as well put a gun to your head. If you don’t, you end up with a “shit happens, get used to it” attitude.

funkmasterp

I worry that I’m almost devoid of emotions now. Don’t get upset, happy, angry etc and just seem to coast along like some kind of automaton. Last time I cried was just over three years ago when my son was born / going through medical issues.

Then again I suppose worrying about it proves I’m not yet completely dead inside.

anagallis_arvensis

I remember my son being born, held it together quite well till I left mum and boy at hospital walked in the door at home and blubbed like a baby, feeling like I havent stopped since, in comparison to the heartless **** I was before!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Have you gotten more emotional as you've gotten older/ had kids etc…’ is closed to new replies.