• This topic has 113 replies, 78 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by D0NK.
Viewing 34 posts - 81 through 114 (of 114 total)
  • Have you got pedal reflectors on that thing, Sir?
  • roverpig

Any plans for Scotland to follow suit?

mrmo
    Free Member

thinking a bit more, the reflectors have to be legal, as do lights, and reflector. If you are being strict about it.

Problem is that Legal and functional are almost mutually exclusive as far as bikes and lights go!

UK market is tiny, demand is even smaller so almost no one actually bothers to manufacture or test lights to the UK standards.

mrmo
    Free Member

5. You and your bicycle

Make sure that you feel confident of your ability to ride safely on the road. Be sure that
    you choose the right size and type of cycle for comfort and safety
    lights and reflectors are kept clean and in good working order
    tyres are in good condition and inflated to the pressure shown on the tyre
    gears are working correctly
    the chain is properly adjusted and oiled
    the saddle and handlebars are adjusted to the correct height.

It is recommended that you fit a bell to your cycle.

You MUST
    ensure your brakes are efficient
    at night, use lit front and rear lights and have a red rear reflector.
    Laws PCUR regs 6 & 10 & RVLR reg 18

Cycle training can help both children and adults, especially those adults returning to cycling to develop the skills needed to cycle safely on today’s roads. A new national cycle training standard has been developed which the Government is promoting and making funding available for delivery in schools.

All cyclists should consider the benefits of undertaking cycle training. For information, contact your local authority.

just taken this from the highway code,

Note: no mention of pedal reflectors?????

So the law says you must, but the highway code doesn’t? but it does say rear reflector. Which seems odd to me?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    danielgroves
    Free Member

I’m sorry officer, my reflectors were on the bike that I had stolen. If you could just do your job and actually investigate that, I’m sure I’ll be legal again in no time.

Or words to that effect 😉

ratherbeintobago

Plus they can’t ignore the fact there aren’t any night-legal SPDs available for us to buy even if we wanted to…

These?

If I used Shimano pedals, I’d probably have put a set of these on the commuter.

flybywire
    Free Member

any links to where time atac pedal reflectors are available from?
    ta

cookeaa

You can get a roll of yellow or amber reflective tape for about £5 personally I’m tempted to get some and put it on the heel of my shoes (primarily as there’s not really an appropriate surface on an M520 pedal, and I don’t actually think I can locate a pair of those clip in SPD reflector jobs in my spares box, they may well have gone straight in the bin. I Reckon some retro reflective tape on my heels complies with the spirit and intent, even if it doesn’t quite meet the letter, the effect would basically be the same…

my understanding of the how the RVLR applies to bicycles is as follows:

-A Red rear, and Amber pedal reflectors are the only ones legally required, and that only applies after dark (along with lights of course)…

-Wheel reflectors and front White reflectors are not actually Compulsory…

-Reflectors have to meet the requirements of BS 6102 Part 2 Specification for Photometric and physical requirements of reflective devices…

Handy guide RVLRhere

Personally I doubt any PCSO’s are likely to be equipped or qualified to actually assess a reflective devices compliance with BS 6102-2. All they are really going to be trying to address is any absence of a reflector where it should be, I hope they’ve had clarifying guidance passed round so that they don’t hand out random bollockings and fines for people not having front reflectors… but somehow I doubt it.

It’s not too hard to find a way of meeting (or exceeding) the legal requirements TBH, and it’s fair enough for them to be stepping up enforcement, especially at this time of year and given recent events…

mrmo
    Free Member

brakes
    Free Member

I’m sure I have several thousand of discarded pedal reflectors in my spares box. I may just glue some to my shoes and sell the rest on eBay, I’m sure there’ll be a clammering for them now.

trail_rat
    Free Member

lets forget the whole pcso thing for a minute.

your riding on the road – where maniacs are trying to kill you – besides being cool you would remove your reflectors from a bike used predominantly on the road for what reason ?

an MTB used for MTB covering short road sections i can almost understand(and something im guilty of as well) but on a commuter or road bike id have thought being compliant with the law AS A MINIMUM would be in your best interests.

Northwind

mrmo – Member

UK market is tiny, demand is even smaller so almost no one actually bothers to manufacture or test lights to the UK standards.

But that doesn’t matter, because you have to meet the relevant BS or Euro equivalent.

trail_rat – Member

your riding on the road – where maniacs are trying to kill you – besides being cool you would remove your reflectors from a bike used predominantly on the road for what reason ?

You missed the bit where most pedals don’t have them?

D0NK

These?

If I used Shimano pedals, I’d probably have put a set of these on the commuterI haven’t tried those but IME singlesided clipless pedals are rubbish. For a dedicated road commuter bike I’d consider them but my route is 80% xc, not sure I’d give up double sided pedals for the remote chance of getting caught on the 20%

I have used snap ankle wraps in the past, presume these would pass the common sense rule if not the actual legal nitty gritty.

Junkyard
    Free Member

MTB covering short road sections

we dont all take the car to the trail some of us ride there you know.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Not surprised at this really, with all the complaints about cyclist safety and all.

evening of sorting out my bike to meet requirements ahead of me, can’t be bothered with the hassle of dealing with PCSO’s for the sake of a couple of bits of plastic that are there to help me be seen.

Richie_B

Probably a stupid question but with clipless pedals can the pedal and shoe be legally considered as a single unit so the reflector on your heel would count (Usually the wrong colour I know)?

Would have thought it would be easier to argue with Speedplay pedals because there’s as much metalwork bolted to the bottom of your shoe than the bike.

trail_rat
    Free Member

sorry my mistake – didnt realise you cant ride off road from your door.

i didnt miss the bit where most pedals can be made to have them without too much effort- every bike i sold from the shop had them – just its the norm not to or to remove them as soon as you leave the shop.

Northwind

trail_rat – Member

i didnt miss the bit where most pedals can be made to have them without too much effort- every bike i sold from the shop had them

So what’s your simple fix for road spds? Apart from “buy different road pedals from a limited range of options”

trail_rat
    Free Member

the correct SPD SL reflector the SM PD58 has already been posted here.

a quick google reveals they are 1.49 for a pair.

D0NK

the correct SPD SL reflector the SM PD58 has already been posted here.

look like they wouldn’t last 5minutes on an MTB, obviously could be different on road, anyone used them? Do they get knocked off by close encounters with kerbs? (I don’t use road pedals myself, just interested)

Northwind

Which doesn’t fit on all pedals.

trail_rat
    Free Member

so what your saying is other than shimano no other pedals meet the law ……

thats the laws issue why ?

cookeaa

Probably a stupid question but with clipless pedals can the pedal and shoe be legally considered as a single unit so the reflector on your heel would count (Usually the wrong colour I know)?

Not Stupid a very good Question IMO, the interface for a shoe mounted reflector is essentially the same as these things:

If it could be considered as being compliant it simply need the shoe heel to have the right colour of reflective material on it… As the Reg’s are worded the required “reflective devices” are to be fixed to the bicycle in rather specific locations, I reckon it’ll all come down to how much of a jobsworth the PCSO that might stop you is and if you can make your argument stick.

So what’s your simple fix for road spds? Apart from “buy different road pedals from a limited range of options”

THIS

I just ordered 3 meters in Yellow and 3 meters in Red, I reckon you could stick a bit on the back edge of an SPD SL and basically be compliant…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

There are all sorts of laws under which anyone can legally be stopped. This rather smacks of the Al Capone issue. Couldn’t nail him on anything ‘serious’, so they got him on tax evasion.

Ditto here, I suspect.

trail_rat
    Free Member

youll need to do the front edge as well.

highway code doesnt say front and rear – but the lighting suppliment says 4 orange reflectors to be mounted to pedals to be visible from front and rear of bike.

which why hat pd58 is so good as its duel sided but has a tiny profile 😀

DezB
    Free Member

If you get stopped just tell em a real copper stopped you the day before and said it was ok. What they gonna do?

mrmo
    Free Member

so what your saying is other than shimano no other pedals meet the law ……

Does that reflector have bs6012/2 stamped on it? If not it isn’t legal.

In fact does it have any equivalent status on it? just in case you can go for the german loophole.

cookeaa

Alright, pop a bit of reflective tape on the toe of your shoe as well…

I’m desperate to make the whole stick on reflectors thing work… 😉

Edit:

Does that reflector have bs6012/2 stamped on it? If not it isn’t legal.

In fact does it have any equivalent status on it? just in case you can go for the german loophole.

I really doubt any roadside checks will go into that sort of depth and the 6102/2 mark is compliance for sale, so long as your “retroreflective device” is positioned correctly and reflects in the right colour and intensity you’d only have to demonstraight this should it ever go to court… and you know it won’t…

DezB
    Free Member

mrmo
    Free Member

the right colour and intensity you’d only have to demonstraight this should it ever go to court… and you know it won’t…

until the drunk phone using drivers insurers refuse to pay out because……

molgrips
    Free Member

Shimano road pedals? Oh that’s what TINAS’s link was.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

There’s a double sided MTB/touring version too

D0NK

There’s a double sided MTB/touring version too

more like it! Not seen those before, are they actually on sale here?

<Edit> Ah, yes they are, but appear to be a My First Clipless Pedal model with very light spring tension.

zilog6128

I’d not seen those before either, they look preferable to the single-sided touring pedals. There is an XT-level version as well. Not too worried about the spring tension, I normally have it as loose as possible on my commuter anyway. My only concern would be that the cage is plastic not metal, although presumably it’s going to be pretty hard wearing.

D0NK

Zilog the DXs are plastic and last really well even after plenty of rock strikes if this is the same stuff it’ll be reet. I prefer strong spring tension so my feet don’t pop out when I’m doing an impromptu hoik up a kerb/over a pothole.

Viewing 34 posts - 81 through 114 (of 114 total)

The topic ‘Have you got pedal reflectors on that thing, Sir?’ is closed to new replies.