Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Have you gone from 29er to 27.5+? Thoughts?
  • honourablegeorge

Anyone made the switch? Or the opposite? What kind of riding/bike? Good or bad?

scotroutes

Ask again in a few weeks 🙂

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Stoner
    Free Member

Yes.
    Although have switched back again for the winter for now, but building another 650b+ as well.

I ride SS rigid so I find the change very positive.

nemesis
    Free Member

At the moment, I’ll probably be doing the same as I can’t seem to find any proper b+ mud tyres and the trailblazers I have definitely aren’t going to cut it in proper Mendip mud.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/what-275-plus-tyres-for-wintermud
    seems to suggest that they don’t yet exist.

alexh
    Free Member

I’m still on the fence, for my ht the extra rear compliance is nice, makes riding it all day a pleasure. The extra grip is also reassuring, and downhill tech sections are a lot easier.

But,

Outright pace I think I’m quicker with the bigger wheels when I’m on it (just beaten up a bit more).

As for type of riding- natural single track in wyre forest.

Stoner
    Free Member

skinnier

fatterer

Ive put the Ti29 back on to the 29″ rocket rons for now, as the trailblasters/650b wheels will be going in the gryphon Ive just treated myself to.

honourablegeorge

alexh – Member
    I’m still on the fence, for my ht the extra rear compliance is nice, makes riding it all day a pleasure. The extra grip is also reassuring, and downhill tech sections are a lot easier.

But,

Outright pace I think I’m quicker with the bigger wheels when I’m on it (just beaten up a bit more).

As for type of riding- natural single track in wyre forest.

Tks. My riding will be similar, forest singletrack, the odd jump or two, and maybe the odd trail centre trip too, for getting the mileage in.

I won’t be rigid…. so I’m thinking 29er might be a little lighter and more nimble and the benefits of the fatter tyre might be a bit lost on me. I’m not competing, just out riding with friends, so out-and-out pace isn’t a worry, really.

nemesis
    Free Member

I’m not seeing any difference in pace with my + wheels on the climbs/non-technical flat but they’re clearly quicker on technical stuff.

Stoner
    Free Member

I think any difference in pace on mine has only come about through the slightly smaller wheel circumference on a SS with the same gearing for both sets of wheels.

I still find rocket rons (29″) offer a little more grip on the rear when climbing (SS), but that’s probably down to contact patch.

alexh
    Free Member

If not competing, I’d be using the + wheels, its just more enjoyable if you are riding with friends. When I hit a trail centre though I reach for another fs bike (normally)

I’m a couple of seconds slower a lap round the local pump track with the + wheels on, and I think it’s just the tyre weight for throwing it round. On the single track my times are pretty similar, but I’m still recovering from injury atm

Northwind

I’d love to try it- wish there was somewhere you could testride, just turn up and hire out a pair of wheels for the day! It’s not so much better and worse that I’m into, but difference, I like to be able to switch my bikes between modes and ride the same trail different ways

GregMay
    Free Member

Tried it on my Spearfish, liked it, but would prefer better winter tyres, so back to normal 29er at 2.4 on my SS for the winter.

tootallpaul

Yep. Love it.

Chubby Cotic Solaris.

Another pair of chubby wheels ordered to go on the Sawyer, this time with a Dynamo hub to keep me going over the winter.

bonesetter
    Free Member

Plus is where it’s at 🙂

Not tried 29+ yet, but the emerging consensus seems plus both sizes is beneficial

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Have you gone from 29er to 27.5+? Thoughts?’ is closed to new replies.