Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Have you flown with Jet2?- are they strict with bike bag weights?
  • mefster
    Free Member

We're off to Italy soon and I've managed to convince my wife that it'd be a good idea for me to take my road bike. I've flown with it with BA and Ryanair before. Both time uneventful and no limits or checking bag weight.

The Jet2 rules state a 20kg limit on bike bags with £10 per kg over. I've got a suspicion that my bike and bag will be over. Has anyone any experience if they check and charge? I don't fancy getting stung with a huge excess charge!

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

They will check and they most definately will charge. They're not far behind ryanair in terms of service, i.e bloody awfull.

nickegg
    Free Member

As i recall our bike bags were both about 21kg last year (Orange 5 and Yeti 575) so i suspect you'll be over 20kg unless you have a light hardtail etc.

jimmy

yep, they charge for anythign they can. even booking went from £120 to £200 with all the charges added.

allthegear
    Free Member

As it happens, I had quite the opposite experience. The bag was overweight but they didn't bother to charge extra or even have a look inside.

Rachel

ianv
    Free Member

A road bike and bag wont be over 20K.

I managed to get a 25Kg stinky through leeds bradford without paying but I think I was lucky. Some other people got hit for up to £80 excess but that was for full on down hill bikes.

skiprat
    Free Member

We went from Leeds/Bradford to Spain the other year and had to pay the extra. I had weighed the bag before so knew it was 2kg over.

However on the way back, they didn't even weigh them and just took them straight through. No extra charges and to be fair they were very good at both ends.

mefster
    Free Member

Just weighed the bike bag and it's 8.8kg including all my extra padding. Assuming my road bike (Planet X Pro Carbon SL with Dura Ace) will weigh 8kg tops than that gives me some extra weight for tools, shoes and some towel/nappy padding. Looks like it's game on!

Next challenge is how to fit 2 adults, 2 children and all the associated luggage, plus a bike bag, into an "Alfa Romeo 159 Estate or similar"!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Have you flown with Jet2?- are they strict with bike bag weights?’ is closed to new replies.