Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 87 total)
  • Have you ever hit or nearly hit a cyclist driving a car due to your error?
  • PhillN
    Free Member

I ask because I’m sick of the weekly ‘almost being hit by a car’ experience that I get on my commute. Is it because I’ve always ridden bikes of one flavour or another that I’m aware of them? So I’d like to know if there are any cyclists out there who’ve hit someone on a bike whilst they were driving and it was their fault. Or is it that people who don’t ride 2 wheels just aren’t aware of the issue.

ourmaninthenorth

Nearly. Yes, turning right at lights. He had no lights on and was hidden by lights of oncoming car. Oops.

fasthaggis

No,never

Cause I is a cyclist and motorbiking person , I is paying lots of attention 😉

d45yth
    Free Member

How do you know if someone driving a car is a cyclist or not? 😆

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Unless you recognise them, how would you know if it was a cyclist driving the car?

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Bugger, beaten to it! 😆

speckledbob
    Free Member

Never hit a cyclist and never had a disagreement with a cyclist in almost 25 years of driving. I’m not saying it’s always the fault of the motorist but it almost always is.

project
    Free Member

They probably wouldnt be seen dead driving a BMW.

yossarian
    Free Member

I have occasionally verbally abused cyclists in the hope that individual might pop up on here with the story. Hasn’t happened yet, so will carry on.

snakebite
    Free Member

I hit a cyclist once on a bend, car I was in skidded went into a spin and I hit him hard. I managed to go half through the side window when i hit the kerb, he ended up 30 yards away in a hedge. His little lad with him (who I missed)was screaming I’d killed his dad. Not a nice experience at all and his bike somehow was wedged under the car(my dads new SRi). Luckily, the guy recovered (he worked with my mum) but he did have a broken leg, pelvis, arm etc, was off work for a year. I was lucky with lots of stitches, a valuable lesson and a bill for the ambulance. My old fella’s insurance also went up a bit I seem to remember. 1985, not my best year..

scaredypants

bit too early in the year for my views on commuting lights 😕

but, no, not really. I’ve seen plenty of near-invisible cyclists though, just because I look hard

Junkyard
    Free Member

i have been hit by a cyclist in car when I was cycling.
    The road had been gravelled and he braked and just skidded into me going downhill whilst I was stationary.
    He was nearly in tears shouting at himself for being one of those C word who hits cyclists. He could not apologise enough.
    I found it quite funny tbh as I was unhurt and his pain was far greater than mine.

His bike was on his roof rack and he was clad in lycra so it was obvious he cycled

Duggan

I almost got knocked off my bike by a car with a ‘Think Bike!’ sticker in the window the other week. Had to laugh really.

yunki
    Free Member

I usually get ’em if I’m aiming for ’em… 😈

hora
    Free Member

Local girl here in Stretford. I reversed out of my road and luckily she had her eyes working. I didn’t.

lovegoinguphills
    Free Member

I ALWAYS indicate when overtaking cyclists to let other drivers know and give loads of room. I notice though very few other drivers indicate.
    Being a cyclist myself I would be devistated if I knocked someone off there bike however I often see cyclists with no lights on when dark or nearly dark and I do wish they would all wear helmits.

iainc

I was driving to Glentress a few yrs ago, with bike on roof, early Sunday morning, on ‘autopilot’ as it’s a drive I do often, Came to a junction, looked both ways and pulled out, nearly hitting a roadie who I just didn’t see. He went mental at me, rightly so, pointing to bike on roof etc. I stopped, got out, apologised and all was fine and we went on our respective ways. Still shakes me up that even though I was wide awake, no distractions, no hangover etc, and I stopped and looked I somehow never saw him 😳

bigyinn
    Free Member

Nearly, once. Going along in the car into head on low winter sun, didnt see them until i was on top of them (not literally!) 😳

DezB
    Free Member

I got a winker sign off a bloke once, he said I’d gone too close. I hadn’t. I discussed the matter with him and he ended up apologising and shaking my hand.
    I nearly hit a moped once, but I was lost, in France (in love).

myheadsashed

Yes lost control on black ice in an unfamiliar car – chap was seriously injured.

Ambulance crashed when it came to get him and another van crashed just out of site while I was talking to the Police.

Over 20yrs ago 😥

spooky_b329

Nearly, crossing an urban crossroads, blinded by the sun so made a point of stopping fully and looking carefully. Cyclist was going very slow on opposite side of the road and would have been behind the A pillar directly in front of the sun, saw him in my final check as I got to the centre line, luckily still relatively slow so just had to pause. But if I hadn’t have looked left as I moved across the road there could have been a bump.

Not as close as the elderly woman though, I was looking left/right at a T junction and she decided to cross in front of me using my grill as a handhold. I knew she was waiting near the kerb on my left, car to my right flashed me to go so I glanced left, lifted the clutch and then realised she was no longer on the pavement, I’d moved about 6 inches and raised the revs but luckily not got on the power, jumped back on the brakes and stopped, looked around for her and then there she was right in front of me! She was short and I was in a high van so only her head was visible. Shook me up, I’d have driven right over her.

myheadsashed

Yes lost control on black ice in an unfamiliar car – chap was seriously injured.

Ambulance crashed when it came to get him and another van crashed just out of site while I was talking to the Police.

Over 20yrs ago 😥

kevj
    Free Member

Nearly, and just last weekend as it happens. I was driving with the family to the ‘weekend country residence’ on a country road near Barnard Castle. It wad around half six and this particular section of road was slightly uphill.

Anyway, I caught a glimpse of what I thought was a rider through the glare of the sun which was quite low. I moved over to the right to give plenty distance. Mrs J asked what I was doing, apparently drifting onto the opposite direction lane just as we passed. She said not only did she not see him, she would have hit him, and if I’m honest, I was very lucky I saw him when I did or I probably would have.

There was another time when I was merging onto the A19 during rush hour traffic in the depths of winter. I just missed this fella who was riding with no lights on the bike. A mixture of idiocy and luck.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I was going through a set of lights and some fanny on a bike had jumps the lights, had to swerve to avoid him. Can’t think how that would have been my fault. Red light jumpers are idiots.

footflaps

Twice.

Once really late at night, cyclist had no lights and was dressed in black, my passenger spotted him and saved him from a 30mpg broadside.

Second time I pulled out straight in front of a guy then realised I was high as a kite from Gloss Paint fumes (was nipping out to B&Q to get another tin of paint after painting all morning).

GaryLake
    Free Member

DezB: did you give the cyclist as much room as you’d give a car?

I’m often annoyed at how little room I’m given and then amazed by how annoyed said driver is at the fact that I’m annoyed.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I try my best not to get annoyed any more, it just ends up ruining your ride.

druidh
    Free Member

GaryLake – that’s more room than one would normally give a car when overtaking, so a really bad illustration.

dannsalik
    Free Member

yup .. it was horror ..:(

brooess
    Free Member

I have a big ‘give cyclists room’ sticker on the back window.
    Was driving back from a ride in Surrey Hills on the A25. Windy, fast A road.
    A row of 8 mtb’ers riding single file – so correct according to the Highway Code. I eased up and sat behind until I thought I had space to pass them all. Was part way past when a car came the other way. I needed to pull in but the cyclists were there. They could see the prob though and slowed up so I fitted into the middle of the group.
    I know you should only pass when you have time and space. But 8 in a row makes this very difficult.
    I felt really bad that I nearly took some cyclists out but couldn’t help thinking they should have ridden in two smaller groups with distance between them to make overtaking less risky for all
    Either way all was ok thankfully

nickjb
    Free Member

Aimed an no one in particular but it’s interesting how people are blaming the cyclist in this thread.

brooess
    Free Member

Riding without lights (at night) or RLJ is def the cyclist putting themselves at risk
    In my post, I’m not laying the blame on the riders, I made a mistake when I went to overtake. But IMO riding in a line of 8 makes it harder to overtake safely and they could have acted to make themselves safer.

druidh
    Free Member

brooess – as a regular roadie, I’m sure it’s better to ride two-up and therefore create a shorter “peleton”. However, most motorists don’t see it that way.

lowey

Aimed an no one in particular but it’s interesting how people are blaming the cyclist in this thread.

Very.

I’ve never hit one, but have had lots of close calls… slow moving traffic the other day, I thought I saw a gap but it was quickly filled with a motorbike filtering. He went apoplectic despite my profuse apologies. numerous other close shaves, some my fault some others, but hey… no one’s perfect.

I suspect this attitude is why I have never EVER been in a confrontation with a motorist on my commute. The adrenalin hit that a cyclist gets from a near death experience does intensify the situation, no one in a car gets that very often, wrapped up in a cocoon.

aracer
    Free Member

I do wish they would all wear helmits (sic)

The cyclists driving cars?

samuri
    Free Member

Yeah. I pulled up to a T junction turning left,. I looked left then right then left again, nothing coming. Just as I started to pull out I caught some movement out of the corner of my eye and this guy nearly slammed into the front of the car. Never saw him till that point. There was a lot of street furniture but yep, totally my fault.

Also, and this was less my fault, at night I stopped my car, looked in my wing mirror , nothing coming, opened the door. Almost took out this chap riding along with no lights. He wanted a fight. I put that one down to 50/50 so managed to calm him down in the end.

druidh
    Free Member

Never (yet) hit or had a close call with a cyclist but ave had a couple of “almosts” with motorcyclists. On bot occasions I was pulling right out of a junction and trying to see past a parked van on my right. On both occasions a motorcyclist appeared from behind the van just as I was pulling out. I reckoned joint liability though. They were quite close in when overtaking said van and were above the speed limit.

NZCol

Yep 2 weeks after i passed my test i clipped a guy on a backroad outside Dunfermline – it was 2am, he was dressed entirely in dark clothes with no lights at all RIDING IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROAD FFS ! I hit him with my wing mirror, wasn’t speeding, was well awake, bizarre. Came round a corner and boomtish knew i had hit somethign obviously, and there he was. P1ssed as a fart as well. Called the cops etc etc

GlitterGary
    Free Member

It usually is the cyclist’s fault. They need to realise that two tons of metal hurts no matter how defensively they ride. Face it, cyclists are guests on the road no matter how much people dress up their rights in the Highway Code.

njee20
    Free Member

GlitterGary, trolling, I really hope?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 87 total)

The topic ‘Have you ever hit or nearly hit a cyclist driving a car due to your error?’ is closed to new replies.