Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • Have you ever hit or been hit by animals/wildlife while riding?
  • Captain-Pugwash
    Free Member

I very nearly got a cat today while on my road bike, if I hadn’t of hit the brakes it would have been down the vets.

ton

bumble bee/wasp in the eye……not stung tho, but it did smart……. 😉

IamSam
    Free Member

yeap,

I’ve hit a bat, nearly got an owl and have squished several frogs. One of the guys has been knocked off by a deer and hit a rabbit, not at the same time, I never knew rabbits could scream 😕

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Had a rabbit run between my wheels (I have no idea how it made it) and a squirrel bounce off my frame.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Hit a bird and killed it 🙁
    Hit a bee and it killed.

binners

Awesome 🙂

I had a blackbird fly into me when on’t motorbike. It was like being hit by a brick

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Hit on the head by a partridge.

Very narrow miss by a roe deer

DezB
    Free Member

I’ve run into my dogs arse quite a few times 🙂

A small deer ran into me on a XC race in the New Forest many years ago. That was a right shock!

[edit]Hmm, maybe I should re-word that first line 😯

Just remembered, in Wales a couple of years back me and my mate rode up a path full (almost literally!) of suicide Pheasants. That was quite bizarre.

BikePawl
    Free Member

When I lived in Perth W.A I was attacked by their version of a Magpie it flow alongside me and tried to peck my earring out, quiet scary with cars wizzing by me.
    Late one night in Edinburgh coming back along the North Edinburgh Cycle path just by St Georges School, I saw one Badger off to the side of the path and another I presume it’s mate stood in the middle of the path starring me down and growling. I was absolutely stumped as I could only do a bunny-hop so I had to ride around it.

beamers

Came close to this and it’s three nippers whilst on my road bike in Waterton National Park:

Fortunately she decided not to take any interest me.

Pigface
    Free Member

Got hit by a bird once, painful 😯 a mate hit a dog on his road bike ages ago, ended up in hospital. Dog dead, frame wrecked nasty crash.

mountaincarrot
    Free Member

A dog put it’s leg through my rear wheel last year. Sure hurt the dog more than me. I was oddly pleased because it was attacking me at the time..

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Ran over (not on purpose) a mole, it burst and looked like a black velvet bean bag with chineese noodles coming out.

nickc

A mate ran into a badger coming the other way up the singletrack. stopped him dead (my mate), badger shook it’s head, did a sort of “Is that the best you can do?” look, and shuffled of into the undergrowth

DezB
    Free Member

Ran over (not on purpose) a mole, it burst and looked like a black velvet bean bag with chineese noodles coming out.

Nooooo! Don’t kill moles! 😥

ski
    Free Member

Came close to hitting a sleepy fox last night, stepped out right in front of me & froze in the beam of light coming from my bike!

Years back, had a Staffy chase and lock its self onto my front wheel, got its head trapped in the forks!

I went flying over the bars & the thing with its head still jammed in the forks still tried to come at me!

Tough, tough dogs, not a scratch, considering the front wheel must have gone over its head!

Has anyone ever managed to hit a pigeon! They seem to take off and miss me by millimeters!

Terrydactyl

Got T boned by a young lamb, it just went mad and ran at me.

On another occasion in the dark I had a fox run between my front and back wheels.

Also got tapped on the head by a kin big owl (I reckon it was a European eagle owl), the thing came from behind, tapped me on the head and flew to a branch in front of me down the track then turned its head through 180 degrees to stare at me as I rode past underneath. It was twilight in the forest in the Brecon. I pedalled real fast to get back to the pub!

Pembo
    Free Member

T-boned a sheep earlier this year. Doing about 25mph down a grassy double track and it shot out from behind a gorse bush straight across my path. Sailed over the bars and I landed on my back but no damage done to me or the bike and the sheep just ran off.

chiefgrooveguru

Pigeons (and presumably other birds) see at a far quicker frame rate than us, so everything looks much slower to them. I do wonder if Pro DHers have a similar evolutionary advantage…

Captain-Pugwash
    Free Member

Not sure whether this is an urban myth or not but I remember reading somewhere about a guy riding in Whistler hit a black bear when coming around a blind corner, neither were hurt but you’d have crapped yourself hitting something that could rip your face off!!

Mark84
    Free Member

A wasp once stung me in my mouth while I was riding. I was a bit distracted so I ended up crashing. I also very nearly ran over a snake of some sort while riding in Greece which was slightly worrying at the time.

wwaswas

I ran over a badgers nose at speed on my bike.

The badger was hidden in some long grass, it was only the horrible crunching bone noise that made me realise what I’d done.

On turning around and going back I found it had already been dead for some time. The smell’s still with me.

bigG
    Free Member

Hit a spaniel while out on my road bike a few weeks back. Wee thing ran off unhurt as I lay in the road cursing. Wee ginger bugger it was..

clubber
    Free Member

Had a wasp hit the back of my mouth which tried and failed to sting but did cause a few nervy minutes as my throat swelled up ( then went back to normal – phew )

Flicked a squirrel in the air as it’s tail caught in my front wheel and it narrowly missed the guy following behind

Ran over a badger when it ran out between my wheel. It just shuffled off.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Ran over (not on purpose) a mole, it burst and looked like a black velvet bean bag with chineese noodles coming out

Can I hire you to cycle around my garden and try and get the little git that keeps wrecking our lawn?

bassspine
    Free Member

a pheasant flew up and I hit him with my right hand/handlebar. Big wobble as I was blatting down a hill on a single-track-lane-with-passing-places at the time.
    A got ==> <== this close to a badger’s gnarlcore teeth on St Andrew Lane coming down off of haldon on a young summer evening.

A mate of mine ran over a jack russell that was chasing the bike in front of him. Damfooldogs but apparently made of rubber.

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

I’ve had
    Butterfly in the mouth was my worst ever hit by an animal experience. Flies in the mouth are easy enough to spit out.
    Wasp in the helmet, alerted by the angry buzzing, stopped and ripped my helmet off.
    A Bunny once ran between my wheels during a 30+mph descent in the dark and clattered of the pedals.
    I had a bird fly through the spokes of myfront wheel in a burst of feathers.

Bunnyhop

A friend was going quite fast down a lane, when a chicken ran out, through his frame, did a somersault type thing up a dry stone wall and ended up missing my bike by centimetres. We laughed for ages after the incident.

Last year I was out night riding in the Peak, when a badger brushed my leg, the bike wobbled loads and I screamed. At the bottom of the trail all the guys in front had managed to avoid it. Don’t think badger was harmed in any way.

Also been stung by a wasp that got trapped under my helmet strap – bee in my bonnet.

lowey

Bat and a rabbit.

TiRed

Ran over a rabbit with the front and back wheel. Broke it’s back and it crawled away. But not far 😥

derek_starship
    Free Member

Killed a vole on a local trail and narrowly missed a weasel.

Killed a lot of tiny frogs this summer – the ones that have just changed from tadpole and left the water. They were the size of midget gems and I just didn’t spot them until there was a 20 yard trail of flib and blood about 2.25″ wide 😳

bakey

I had a blackbird fly into me when on’t motorbike. It was like being hit by a brick

Me too, or more accurately, a pigeon.

Thing exploded, guts up the helmet and a bruise which covered from my neck to the bottom of my ribs on the right side. Couldn’t cough/laugh for weeks. Luckily I stayed on!

derek_starship
    Free Member

catflees46

Gotta hand it to you – that’s one of the finest similes I’ve ever read

skiboy
    Free Member

killed a rat a few weeks back on my daily commute, 700c wheels over it’s guts,

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I once startled a goat in front of Buckingham Palace.

It’s true. I got a twenty-five pound fine. 🙁

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

I once ran over an adder on the road, and had an instantaneous vision of it somehow being flicked up and wrapping round my neck – yeuck.

Also wasp in the bike helmet that stung me on the head (but not on the same day).

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

I got attacked by a buzzard in Yair forest (Borders)last year.

On a nice rooty downhill bit I got this whack on my shoulder. Managed not to fall off and sensed this animal sitting on my shoulder. It was trying to peck my head through the helmet. Anyways if took off when I stopped but did a few more dive bomb attacks (always from the rear) and mainly hit my backpack but grabbed my wrist once. It seemed like it went on for ages but was probablly 3 – 4 mins.

I had some nasty scratches on my back and wrist and a holy jersey. Shook like a leaf for about an hour afterwards.

I can only assume it had young on the ground.

Torminalis
    Free Member

Today I was bravely attempting a 1 foot jump in the local woods and just as I was about to hit the ramp a blinking squirrel dashed between my wheels. Added an extra level of stress to an already stressful situation. 😮

PlopNofear
    Free Member

My friend was cycling and a bird flew straight through his main triangle of his bike. Was very impressive.

gusamc
    Free Member

About 5 of us had to hit the shrubbery on a narrow trail near Newbury when a full sized deer came belting towards us and it just didn’t stop.

In Devon whilst blazing down a narrow sunken dirt track I had to do an emeregency stop when a bull wandered across the track – I literally came to rest about 6″ infront of it’s very large head …. luckily I think it was as surprised as I was and it took a good look and then wandered off ….

same Devon weekend one mate hospitalized, hammering downhill on a back road a flock of sheep sprinted across out road Zilla went into sheep, over bars over sheep and bounced down road, not good, blood, cuts with embedded gravel, she limped home on bike and then driven to hospital, ok with some heavy bruising after a tidy up.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Have you ever hit or been hit by animals/wildlife while riding?’ is closed to new replies.