Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Have you ever gone off of riding?
  • nmdbase
    Free Member

Got back from a ride today and the wife said “have a good ride?”, my reply was it was OK. I have felt like this for the last ten rides or so now and really don’t get it as I’ve always loved riding my bike.

Even she has noticed I’m not enjoying it! It probably doesn’t help living in the south east where it’s generally shat anyway as it’s flat and dull.

Bit odd for me I suppose and need cheering up ‘coz I’m a bit fed up, give me inspiration please, or tales of a smiley nature.

Cheers.

_tom_
    Free Member

Yeah, happens quite a bit as i live in the east midlands so tend to only ride a couple of places that are fairly flat (woburn and chicksands).. Making the effort to drive somewhere a bit more inspiring seems to sort it out 🙂

sc-xc

Yep. Not ridden MTB regularly for a couple of years, and the commute seems to be becoming more sporadic. Don’t stress about it, keep in shape doing other things (I found a love for martial arts), and when I do ride the bike I am less obsessed with being the fittest – I know my (ir)regular riding mates would tear my legs off if I went out with them.

That said, I have just sorted the fixie out for the commute, and am looking forward to it.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Where are you riding in the south east?

waller
    Free Member

Best thing I ever did was to get some cheap Cree lights and go night riding. £36 odd quid and the best fun I have had in a real long time 🙂

Amazing fun!

RealMan
    Free Member

Learn something new. Whether it’s finally mastering the one handed wheelie to doing a proper bunny hop, how to jump, manual, track stand, anything really.

Set reachable goals that you want to reach. Then reach them. Then smile.

wisepranker
    Free Member

Ride somewhere new, even if is only for one ride. It’s a good way of re-energising your love of riding.

I spent too much time riding in Swinkey and started to get very bored with it. A couple f day trips to other places and I’m back to loving riding again.

nmdbase
    Free Member

I think the problem might be from going to Scotland and Wales lol, I come back here and think oh!

I live near Canterbury so it’s pretty much as south east as it gets.

I do night rides and it is fun indeed :)I haven’t since last winter mind, even just bought a new bike and that isn’t even doing it for me damn it 🙁

Funny you say that sc-xc, I started wing chun again a few weeks ago 🙂

Edit: Good idea Realman 🙂

glupton1976
    Free Member

Yip happens to me now and again. I just go off and do whatever it is that I want to do at any given time. If that doesnt include bikes then so be it.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I went off riding yesterday but was as happy as Larry today, weird.

druidh
    Free Member

I love being off touring in new places but I find it hard to motivate myself to ride locally in order to be fit enough for fun touring. 🙄

sc-xc

Wing Chun eh? brutal…. I’ll add you to my list of people not to argue with!

deadkenny
    Free Member

A good gang of people to ride with, even if it’s a social ride makes for fun I find. I’m kind of lucky in that I’m in the Surrey area (yeah yeah, rich folk etc), and tonnes of places to ride and great cheery people to ride with. I end up riding with anyone really. Sometimes it’s serious challenging stuff, sometimes social. If there’s really no one about I go off exploring.

I can see that Canterbury might be a bit limited though. Plan for the occasional trip to further away parts. Might even be easier to hop over the channel to places in Germany or down to the Alps than going to Wales or Scotland! 😀

scratch
    Free Member

Happened to me a few years back, I rode a lot, racing, wild camp trips, long solo tours, then just woke up one Saturday and couldn’t be bothered. I think it was a mix of riding the same trails a lot locally, and ending up riding a rigid SS that took a lot of fun from some of the long rocky descents on the doorstep.

Weirdly I got into road riding an absolutely love it….CX season soon to…

Mackem

Started getting like that, but getting a road bike and making more effort to go to other places and explore has sorted that out. Basically, you need to mix things up a bit.

eyerideit
    Free Member

I go off riding daily. I stop when I get to work though.

How about mixing it up though.

Do you have a road bike? You could get some miles in on that. Maybe find a local club to ride with.

Oops just read the post above and it’s the same as mine 😳 so I’ve edited the repitition.

ormondroyd
    Free Member

I was thinking if I ever moved back to South East Kent (I’m from Deal) I’d get a fat bike and start finding some bits of coast to ride.

Edit… and having been round Sevenoaks yesterday, I’d be jumping on the train out that way quite a lot with the mountain bike. Those hills are bigger than I realised

MrOvershoot

Not exactly gone off riding but due to domestic issues I sometimes find it hard to get out.
    when I do its ace 😀

Kryton57

Yep.

My local trails have been 6 inches of mud apart from two occasions this year, the latest being this last week whereby they are baked hard. So I’ve been out on the road bike, attempted an MTB ride a month ago which just depressed me more, and SITS whereafter I didn’t want to look at an MTB again.

I tried the MTB Wednesday for a quick lunchtime spin and discovered the baked trails. I’ve just spent this morning b@lls out on the FS re-discovering how great MTBing can be.

Kryton57

sc-xc – Member
    Wing Chun eh? brutal…. I’ll add you to my list of people not to argue with!

Not really, if you know what you are doing, its a great art for being able to be “soft”. If you start learning a martial art for the sole purpose of wanting to bash people about, your doing it for the wrong reason.

sc-xc

^ I say that, a friend is one of the best Wing Chun instructors in the business. I know all about it, and am always taken aback by his speed/aggression when necessary.

crispybacon
    Free Member

Yes, this happened to me a few years back. I had been riding regularly for 4 or 5 years and lived for riding @ the weekend.

Then one Saturday I got up, got my kit sorted, bike sorted & was just about to go riding when my wife came home. I just put my bike away got changed & vegged out on the sofa 😕 No real reason for it I just lost my mojo.

I had a few weeks off the bike & did other things but none gave me the buzz I got from riding & once again I returned to my regular weekend rides.

I echo what was said above in that geting some cheap lights & going night riding is the dogs bollox and the sooner the clocks change the better.

Maybe give riding a break & try other things. If they don’t float your boat then go back to riding. Find some riding buddies to add a bit of peer pressure to get out on the bike. Do fun rides rather than XC race type rides.

yossarian
    Free Member

Have you ridden round the Canterbury area for long nmdbase?

Kryton57

sc-xc – Member
    ^ I say that, a friend is one of the best Wing Chun instructors in the business. I know all about it, and am always taken aback by his speed/aggression when necessary.

Oh indeed, it can be very fast and deadly. But “when necessary” which it hardly ever should be is the point. With respect (I’m not trying to have a go at you) If martial artists are trying to show how good an art is but showing you how hard, aggressive, deadly it is, they are either missing the point or bragging. Often most people get attracted to lessons by being shown how they can win a fight / beat up someone, not for the real aspect.

Its worth spending some time reading up on the arts and discovering what they are really about, the science, the philosophy, the hundreds of years committed to their perfection. This often unfortunately gets watered down to mere thuggery in our westernized world.

Apologies for going OT.

richieokeefe1
    Free Member

I have the same feeling so just purchased a road bike to mix things up abit .

sc-xc

No worries Kryton. My mate, Shaun, was demonstrating your point. We were talking about how there are loads of Martial Arts places springing up round here, and that they seemed to be teaching aggression over anything else.

nmdbase
    Free Member

Wish he was my mate sc-xc 🙂 very good he is too!

Can’t see me buying a road bike BTW, tried that, nearly died 3 times in 18 miles!

singlespeedstu

I’ve never gone off of anything as i’m not from Brizzl.

nmdbase
    Free Member

Where is Brizzl?
    Is that what we darn saff call Brazil?

nmdbase
    Free Member

Anyway to make you all laugh I just snapped the cable guide bolt in my Revelations…..yay!

GW
    Free Member

Mbase I saw what you called me before the mods chose to delete it. I didn’t report you (haven’t ever reported a post) did you recieve a warning? Not sure how you’re still here tbh :/

singlespeedstu

Where is Brizzl?

It’s where to live if you want your bike nicked. 😐

sc-xc

Mbase I saw what you called me before the mods chose to delete it. I didn’t report you (haven’t ever reported a post) did you recieve a warning? Not sure how you’re still here tbh :/

All I saw was something along the lines of… ‘and no one likes you :wink:’

However, if you are that determined to make this thread about you…please carry on.

nmdbase
    Free Member

Yeah, fill your boots mate! I really couldn’t care less 🙂 ‘Twas true though 🙂

grahamh
    Free Member

Jeez nmdbase, there is loads of riding down there.. crack out the map and look for all those bridle ways..
    Get your self over to Covert woods near Barham and find the bomb holes (these are real bomb holes made by the Luftwaffe).
    Flat and dull? are you just riding the crab and windle line?
    So living in the cotswolds now when I go down to see family I can do most of the climbs down there in middle ring (I’m not the best climber in the pack). There is plenty of realy good riding in the south east of kent, you just have to look for it.

Kryton57

sc-xc – Member
    No worries Kryton. My mate, Shaun, was demonstrating your point. We were talking about how there are loads of Martial Arts places springing up round here, and that they seemed to be teaching aggression over anything else.

..and he obviously knows what he’s talking about. I respectfully bow my head to him.

sc-xc

When we talk about martial arts, he inspires me to study something more ‘authentic’. I love what I do and teach (kickboxing), but I have total respect for you Wing Chun guys.

valleydaddy
    Free Member

Yes I have struggled this year, since I bust my knee just got lazy.

Had a slack 6 months got into running and got fitter 😀

But recently seems to have come back as we’ve established a local group of 10+ who ride on a Wednesday eve and have been really enjoying it. Rode the Brecon Beast today and really smashed me about as lacked the endurance for a ride this length since my knee injury

GW
    Free Member

All hard earned Stu, no pain baby no galn 😉

singlespeedstu

I hear sitting on your hand can help you gain enlightenment to becoming a master.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Have you ever gone off of riding?’ is closed to new replies.