Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • have you ever fallen out of love with your bike?
  • marksnook
    Free Member

so i love my process 153 but ever since getting the fork serviced and a new shock i just can’t get it to feel good, well as good it was before i guess. I’ve spent several days riding the same trails trying to sort it but i just can’t seem to get it right

i keep looking at other frames but is it just my lack of tuning skills that is the problem?
    bike is still on finance so the wife would never give permission for a new frame, unless it was black and had kona stickers on it (then she wouldn’t know!)

a little out of ideas as to how to sort said bike really?

Northwind

Fanny about with it more? Or buy some pointless upgrade just to make it feel special again?

I loved my Scandal til I testrode a Soul, and after that I basically despised it, I literally rode it twice after that then binned it.

oldtalent
    Free Member

You don’t like it. Life is too short to keep a bike you don’t like. Buy a new one.

stwhannah

Could you hire a ShockWiz from somewhere and see if you can get the tuning right? The suggested changes they come up with usually seem to work well.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

You don’t like it. Life is too short to keep a bike you don’t like. Buy a new one.

+1

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Put the old shock back on?

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

What was your old shock and what is on it now? Was anything else done to the forks during the service and were the settings changed?

If it was good before it can be again 😉

marksnook
    Free Member

there was a standard cheap monarch on it and it got binned off as the damper shaft was shafted!
    went with a ccdb inline after speaking with tf. i need to do a bit more tuning, got some volume reducers in the shock, going to add more then reduce the pressure a little or wind back the high speed compression as its on full. cane creek have that tuning app which is helping me.
    it runs alright it just doesn’t have quite the same lively jumping off of every bump feeling that it used to have

does that shockwiz do much in the way of compression/rebound settings? i just thought i would keep using the rubber ring on the shock ha ha

dumbbot
    Free Member

Oh yeah, currently in a massive huff with my bike because I cannot find the bloody creak. Haven’t ridden it in over 2weeks and just hate the thing right now

Northwind

You could give TF a call and say something like, “You recommended me this shock but I don’t like it, tell me how to get it set up like the Monarch it replaced”.

TF are, ime, fairly shit at setup advice that isn’t just “do what we tell you, we are experts, you know nothing” but they should be able to help.

garage-dweller

TF ought to be able to give you a good base line for that shock surely?

I’ve found their basic settings to be a good start but the OP has gone from a simple shock to something far more complex.

I have a friend who had one of the early Scott Genius bikes with the pull shock. He spent a lot of rides going home and checking tuning charts and his shock pump for the first few months. Once sorted it was an astounding bike for its era.

I’m going to suggest perseverance is the answer here. Especially if you don’t want a divorce.

pnik

I answer to the original question yes I did. My last one, it was also related to shocks and stuff, rp23 with new push can etc and pikes on yhe front I started to love it again, oh and I put a 70mm stem back on from the massively on trend 50mm i’d frankly been struggling with. It isn’t necessarily all over, take some time with the tuning you might find the spark again. There’s a bike radar youtube video that goes through yhe steps pretty well covering more than just sag have a look and spend some time getting it right, you could save yourself a wedge.

chestrockwell

Currently all coy and flirty with my new ht whilst giving the fs ‘it’s not you, it’s me’ treatment. It has been repainted under warranty and ready to ride again but I know I’m aching to find fault with it.

mildred

In my experience CCDB’s can “deaden” a formerly lively riding bike. The inline is the only CCDB I haven’t had but currently have a CCDBair on my Alpine.

I like a bike to be very stable around the sag point, track the ground & not bounce my feet off the pedals on hard & fast descents; that comes at a price and I always lose the lively “pop”. What this means is that whilst the bike is incredibly stable whilst on the massive long Alpine type descents it’s lost the UK trail fun. I used to be able to pump the bike over trail undulations and gain speed, pop off roots and mini kickers and generally have a laugh – I now can’t.

I would try opening up both the rebound adjustments, a little bit at a time to try and regain some “pop”.

Yetiman
    Free Member

OP – you’ve basically described the characteristics of every CCDB shock produced. They are great at doing their job as suspension, but generally rubbish at feeling lively and poppy no matter what you do to them.

Northwind – that’s a shame if true as over the years I’ve had some great support from TFT helping to fine tune Push’d and Cane Creek shocks bought from them, and I only stopped using them because I moved to Avalanche a few years ago.

kimbers

Shockwizz allows you to set up xc , DH or playful etc

Record the settings it tells you & you can set it up for different moods/trails/ races/ phases of the moon

So could be really good for getting that pop back.

I got mine a dhx tuned by avalanche and it’s lost none of its pop but with better grip over the monarch.

core

Sell the CC, get another cheap monarch?

oikeith

I put my bike into be serviced, nothing major I think, just gears, brakes and general look over whilst on holiday for two weeks, said any issues give me a call as I had booked extra days off to ride.

Went to collect it nothing was done, had to wait an extra two days (15 in total) got the bike back, it shifted worse and the brakes worked worse. Put me in such a mood I didnt ride for 3 weeks completely missing some of the nice august weather…

When I then did ride it, I find out the shop had also played with the pivot bearings, looks like lubing them, but hadnt torqued them up fully so there was play in the rear end! nearly have it all sorted now except the brakes.

chakaping
    Free Member

Interesting thread as I used to ride a Process 153 and went from a Monarch to a DB inline.

In my case it massively improved the bike, but only survived about four rides (two in Finale Ligure though).

I put a new Monarch RT back on it and it was OK, but not quite the same – and I fell out of love with the bike anyway when I became aware that it pedaled a bit rubbish (I thought I’d been losing fitness but it was the bike).

Do you want me to have a word with your missus?

marksnook
    Free Member

Yeah Mildred that is it, bike used to beg to leave the ground at even the slightest lip and I think that’s what is lost. I will keep trying to play with it to try get it back. Shame as I was planning on using the ccdb on the next frame as it uses the same size but I’m sort of put off!

Yeah chakaping that could be good,to be fair she wants me to be happy..
    Did the process kill the inline or it for of natural causes?

based on this race review anyone want a ccdb inline?!!

chakaping
    Free Member

Did the process kill the inline or it for of natural causes?

There was speculation that the transverse mounting position may have contributed to its death. Moving the internal bladder to a more vuilnerable position. It lasted four rides from new.

marksnook
    Free Member

Oh man that’s filled me dread! The linkage killed the monarch it seems. That yoke putting too much lateral flex on the shock.
    Can’t get a warranty on it as it’s been said it’s wear not a fault

chakaping
    Free Member

Didn’t have problems with the Monarch myself, but then I didn’t ride it for a great length of time.

I know they get shaft wear on all suspension designs, as me and friends have had it on other bikes.

kimbers

sealing on my monarch was pants

fox ftw!

marksnook
    Free Member

Tf reckon the process is worse for lateral flex because of the yoke effectively making the shock longer. Don’t get me wrong it still rides well and soaks up the hits, still does what it should but just not with the same lively wanting to go flat out feeling I used to get

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

I’m more of a serial bike changer and never get overly fond of a bike. I’ve bought a few bikes I never got on with from the start and one of them had a CCDB. Just found it was too much faff-too many things to adjust, ended up continually adjusting settings and getting more frustrated.

matt_outandabout

I couldn’t get on with my old Niner – and then I changed the tyres. It was difference between riding on Velcro or speeding on hardpack….

sofaking
    Free Member

since getting a mojo G16, I have fell out with my Canyon dude big time,my jones ss bigger time, my singular buzzard a little bit.
    will probably replacing two of them quite soon with something g16 like but less travel if I can find something

chakaping
    Free Member

Interesting Sofaking.

I’ve recently got one of the longest production bikes outside the geometron/pole axis of massiveness – and I’m deliberately keeping a shorter bike too for contrast.

Do you think you’ll be happier with a trail bike that’s similarly lengthy to the G16?

sofaking
    Free Member

Chapaking.

Im not sure I need something as long as my G16, but I want something longer and slacker than my other currents bikes are at present as they are just too contrasting when switching from the mojo to any of the others

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I rode a last Fastforward exclusively for 4 months before jumping on my 2011 Turner Sultan with rather more conservative geometry. After having no complaints about the Sultan since I built it new in 2012, it felt horrible – unstable, short, bendy.

I dismantled it and started selling parts a week later. It’s now replaced by a 2017 Banshee Prime that I’m mostly happier with.

marksnook
    Free Member

My plan was to get an airdrop next and put the ccdb in it bit I’m put off! If I can’t get it right at least a basic monarch is cheap!

Maybe I could tell the wife the kona broke?!

chakaping
    Free Member

Have you got a warranty on the Inline?

It’s a great shock when it’s working right IME. One of the best I’ve ridden.

marksnook
    Free Member

I bought it from tf afyer a long chat do thrtr should be a warranty I’m guessing?!

chakaping
    Free Member

Yeah one year warranty, which isn’t ideal when RS are two years – but it’s worth trying on the Airdrop if you get that.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘have you ever fallen out of love with your bike?’ is closed to new replies.