Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)
  • Have you ever bought a unique original work of art?
  • ti_pin_man
    Free Member

yep commissioned and bought a painting for my dinning room and I love it and to be honest that the key to it, find something you love to see or somebody whos art you like and go from there, that way you’ll never regret it. If your after investment, its like any bet you might make, place your money and see what happens, the Royal Academy used to have a student shows and I guess that increases the chances of it being of value but it doesnt narrow the odds a lot, lol.

matthewjb
    Free Member

I’ve bought a few pieces.

None for investment. Just things I like.

Some by this artist who I know

aP
    Free Member

I collect Ian Hamilton Finlay (books and individual prints/ other stuff) because I like it, oh and some Richard Deacon macquettes.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    JulianA
    Free Member

A few limited editions (Brian Pollard, Warwick Higgs) but can’t afford the originals!

Glad someone mentioned Philip Bouchard (nice guy, apparently): like his pictures.

Would like to be able to afford a Paul Delvaux… No chance!

Like that picture acjim!

Michael Parkes is another favourite (again, no chance!)

Sadly Freedrick, Lord Leighton, John Everett Millais and Lawrence Alma Tadema will always be out of my price range!

mcmoonter
    Free Member

So Heather Bash, who’s your daddy? I may know him.

MrNutt
    Free Member

if anyones interested MrsNutt is astonishingly talented at pencil drawings, photographs to pencil, if anyone’s interested like? She did an amazing sketch of the HMS Victory, fully detailed rigging for a navel enthusiast, he loves it, goes over it with a magnifying glass, it was something else!! (too cheap too! bless her 🙂 )

ratadog

Yes. Definitely in the affordable category, but several watercolours by a friend called Anthony Smith who is a wildlife artist and 7 or 8 different works by various New Zealand artists as my wife is a Kiwi.

I also started a charity about 9 years ago called Hospital Arts For North East Yorkshire which commissions artists to produce pieces for the local hospitals around Scarborough and we have purchased and commissioned around 100 individual pieces from 30 or 40 artists including a sound installation, ceramics, glass art and some fabric pieces. They don’t get to hang on my wall but then the money doesn’t come from my bank account either.

Moses

JulianA- do you have any knowledge of a Delvaux called “Le Reve” (The Dream)?
    I remember it from years ago, but can’t find a photo of it anywhere on the web.
    It means something to me – the woman in it looks so like MrsM did in her 20’s.

midlifecrashes

I have a dozen or so, and a few prints. Spent from a tenner at a boot sale to a couple of hundred, plus lucky enough to have talented parents and neighbours. Mostly landscape scenes of places I like, but a couple of cricket oils and prints now. Never seen a cycling picture to give decent room space to, but have a few Mint posters in my man caves. Would like to get a decent painting/photo of “the look”, 2001 TdF Lance Armstrong, but never seen one I like, they all crop in on Jan and Lance, but the image from the video is much better composed with the French champ and USPS guy in there too.

akira

Few of my own hanging around but never bought anything, got a few friends who have bought some nice stuff, nothing expensive just things they like.

Pauly

I have several original paintings by a couple of artists. Bought them because I liked them, and luckily they’ve appreciated a wee bit as the artist has got more recognition.

skidartist
    Free Member

aP – IHF and Deacon – a man of taste. It was a perk of my old job transporting art exhibitions to get to have a snoop around Richard Deacon’s studio. Finlay’s son Alec puts out some very good book works too,

In my art transport days I used to meet a lot of real proper addict art collectors. Real art buyers, in the sense of people who buy real art and who really buy art, are a rare breed.

There is something like 1.6 percent of the population who are the ‘type’ who wouldmight buy contemporary art, but they might just as likely be into audiophile hifi or thoroughbred horses or high couture, or even niche bike bling. People who are real collectors do it thoughlessly, regardless of their means or the practicalities.

I had to collect together all the work for a massive Surrealism exhibition once – examples from galleries and museums all over the country. But the vast majority of the show, and I mean about 90%, came from a wee house in the suburbs of Leeds. We’d sent a guy up the day before and he’d spent the whole day wrapping two truckloads of art, and when I arrived the next morning there was was another work hanging on every empty hook. He had this big painting in the the living room that was so big he’d had to cut notches out of the ceiling joists to fit it in.

I know another guy who has been collecting one artists work his whole life, he started buying when he was a student, spending a quarter of his years grant on a painting.

People who buy like that don’t do it because they have loads of money, or because they are investing, or because they want to show off. They do it because they can’t help themselves.

HeatherBash
    Free Member

Mcmoonter

‘Alistair Thompson’ (sic)

I see the Thompson website managed to spell his name incorectly on the hyperlink and the link pic is not one of my favourites tbh but he’s sold a lot through them over the years. Far better known for his Scottish landscape work… Must be thousands in collections across the world now – he’s just turned 80 and still paints most days.

… and you? That Scottish exhibition they are running has some cracking work – are any of yours amongst them?

aP
    Free Member

skidartist – in the late 80s Richard Demarco pretty much arranged for me to spend some time at Little Sparta, but then IHF got ill. 🙁

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Heathge Bash

I dont know your old man.
    I’m Peter McLaren there are some biking pics on the Thopsons Gall site

kennyp
    Free Member

We’ve bought a few paintings over the years, ranging from £50 to £500. Not done as an investment, but just because we liked them. Plenty bargains out there if you hunt around cheaper galleries or go to art fairs or college exhibitions. There’s something nice about owning something unique.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I’ve made a ‘living’ from my work since I left the Edinburgh College of Art in ’87. I’d say there is a fair mix of folk who have bought my work. From people who have nothing but a pure passion for collecting with little money, to collectors with massive collections and the museums to house them. Thats half the thrill, never knowing where a painting will end up.

I’ve never been one to buy flash watches or flash cars, but then I’ve only ever exchanged my work with other artists to acquire theirs.

jimmy

Not for myself but paid more than I thought I (we) would for one of Peter Hill’s paintings of Burbage Edge in the Peaks. He did it to specification so totally unique. (And online pics don’t do his work justice).

binners

Every piece of artwork up in our house is unique and original. Its one of my indulgences. Me and Mrs Binners buy em for each other for anniversaries and suchlike.

Great places to pick stuff up are end of degree shows at decent universities. You can get great work there from up and coming artists. If you know how to spot some genuinely good stuff, then you can be quids in too. Not that I’d ever sell any of mine

HeatherBash
    Free Member

Impressive CV McM -some nice work too…

coffeeking
    Free Member

Think I’ll set up an online free gallery for small-scale artists – seems you have fairly limited outlets for work!

Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Have you ever bought a unique original work of art?’ is closed to new replies.