• This topic has 14 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by GW.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Have you ever bent or damaged a disk rotor?
  • LabMonkey
    Free Member

If you have please could you say whether it was a front or rear and the size please?

If you haven’t please say so!

And how was it damaged?

Thanks, Jon

Stoner
    Free Member

never damaged a rotor.

160, 180, 203mm. front or rear.

wwaswas

school project?

no.

although a few seem to need tweaking straight every now and again but seems to be both front and rear.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Bent a couple of rotors – one loading it in a car the other I don’t know. Only slight bends in each case. Front 203 and rear 185 on the tandem

WackoAK
    Free Member

Yes, 203 on the front. Not quite sure exactly when or how it happened but probably from one of my numerous “offs”.

bikerbruce
    Free Member

warping after a 25km downhill in alps after theyglowed red i got off sprayed they with water and couldn’t adjust them for weeks.
    bruce

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’ve had cracks appear in old hope 165 lightening bolt rotors but all credit to them, they swapped them out even though they were well out of any warranty. I also once had a rotor from CRC where the holes were not drilled in the correct position on a Hope 205mm rotor. Actually, they sent that rotor to me twice!

Had a little run out on rotors that I could tweak back but I’ve never killed one.

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Nope never bent one. Had a lightning cut-out pattern hope one that have a tiny crack from the cut-out to the edge of the rotor. It was a 185 Hope can think it was a rear.

And had the rear one go decidedly ‘blued’ on sunday at Eastridge DH when my front brake decided it was crap and i had to rely on the rear. Rear Hope 200mm.

Used dozens with sizes from 160 to 205mm on every thing from DH to DJ to 4x and XC. Never bent one badly enough to notice.

Kitz_Chris
    Free Member

Water on a hot disc rotor is a recipe for disaster… we have people doing that on our Hire bikes alot and is a right pain to straighten them

Personally I have bent 160, 183 and 203 rotors from a variety of crashing, chairlifts and car loading.

The park disc rotor straightening tool is pretty simple to use, solves the problem.

LabMonkey
    Free Member

Thanks for the input guys, I am trying to decide what size Saint rotors to put on my new Tracer. I recon the bigger the better on the front, with a slightly smaller one on the rear. Had a few comments that bigger rotors are easier to damage so thought I would ask for your opinions. I have never damaged rotors before (165 and 185’s).

Cheers, Jon

gonefishin
    Free Member

I wrecked a rear rotor by catching it on a tree root at the bottom of the deliverance descent at Glentress. The bike stopped dead and I didn’t and was peeled up off the trail by some following riders. As I was on a patriot 7+ at the time (a demo bike from the Hub) I was going “quite quickly”. I also managed to bend the mech hanger in the same crash. I’m not sure about the size but it was probably 185mm or something like that.

trail_rat
    Free Member

bent a 205 hitting a rock at dunkeld.

warped 165s coming down ben nevis

steel4real
    Free Member

You may be right but I’ve bent several rear ones (160 & 165’s) falling off woodwork ,crashing on rocks, flicked up stones and sticks. Only bent one beyond repair though, bike fell on racks, disc bent at 45° ! (165). Used 203’s on the rear in the alps and whistler no probs, but then no major stacks either at thos places.
    Front ones (180, 185 & 203) fortunately only bent occasionall falling off woodwork.
    More likely to depend on your skills and the riding you expect to do.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Bent a 203mm Hayes rear rotor after a rock flicked up and hit it.

I’ve also bent/warped a rear 160mm rotor

GW
    Free Member

bent plenty 165, 160, 185 and 203 rotors, front and rears some from crashing, some from hitting rocks etc. some from uplift trucks some it would seem from simply puting the bike away.
    damaged the edge of a few 185 and 203s
    had the old lightening bolt patern hopes show signs of cracking.

mtb disc rotors are far too flimsy, but that makes them nice n easily bent back

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Have you ever bent or damaged a disk rotor?’ is closed to new replies.