Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 117 total)
  • Have you ever been to a restaurant where…
  • bikebouy
    Free Member

Depends which side of the Pennines you sit as to whether you have anti Northern Bias in yer blood methinks.

I’m quite happy in Harrogate, that’s a proper Northern Tarn in my books like and has the ability to serve coffee in them there “phusssh, purrr, phish, bubble, squirt” machines that are all the rage in That Larndarn (and indeed on the Sarf Carst) they be all chrome and the like, invariably have cups on top and in general served by surly blokes in aprons spouting words in dialect not too dissimilar to a Geordie on the pisslike..

Cheshires famous for footballers and cats innit? And Warrington.

maccruiskeen

Perfectly sensible to time cafetiere coffee. I’ve got a timer set on my phone for the purpose, and a kettle that switches off at 90 degrees.

Some coffee you can be fairly slapdash with but I’ve had beans that can either be ace or awful so you need to be quite methodical with them.

molgrips
    Free Member

And of course there is no one best way to serve coffee… it depends on the provenance and the roast..

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    wwaswas

it depends on the provenance

drink it like you stole it?

edlong
    Free Member

Actually, the boiling point of water is 100 degrees C at sea level – the boiling point reduces as air pressure decreases (i.e. at higher altitudes) so if you take your cafetiere to the Himalayas you should be fine to use freshly boiled as it will be cooler.

_tom_
    Free Member

this thread.. 😆

joao3v16
    Free Member

If I’m below sea level, does the boiling temperature of water increase?

molgrips
    Free Member

Yes.

camo16
    Free Member

To clarify, if my coffee infuses for, say, 2.5 minutes or 3.5 minutes instead of the ideal 3, what percentage of the taste sensation am I missing out on?

I can’t imagine it’s more than 2%.

phil.w
    Free Member

At what altitude will the water boil at the perfect temp for making coffee?

edlong
    Free Member

You could avoid the trouble of travelling to the Himalayas every time you fancy a brew by simply creating a partial vacuum in your kitchen I suppose..

alex222
    Free Member

The not boiling thing is pure BS. To make espresso you fire boiling steam through the ground coffee. And to make any kind of coffee in a machine you first must make a shot of espresso. Also stove top espresso makers which are the best thing for making coffee you put on a stove until the water boils through.

So any one saying boiling water spoils the taste should laughed at whilst being pointed at.

RustySpanner

Cheshire may be many things, but it isn’t in the north.

As to pretention, was on a Stagg night in Bollington a few weeks back and one of the pubs described Holts as a ‘craft’ ale 🙂

Nice curry in the Viceroy mind.

edlong
    Free Member

Well, it’ll vary a bit, given that barometric temperature does, but I think about 5000M will give you a boiling point of 83 degrees or so

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/boiling-points-water-altitude-d_1344.html

phil.w
    Free Member

So any one saying boiling water spoils the taste should laughed at whilst being pointed at.

What about if their using a cafetiere.

alex222
    Free Member

if they are using a cafetiere whilst saying that yes they should be pointed and laughed at. If they pour boiling water into their cafetiere then all is well.

martinhutch

You could avoid the trouble of travelling to the Himalayas every time you fancy a brew by simply creating a partial vacuum in your kitchen I suppose..

My windows are too leaky. Can I just stick the vacuum cleaner nozzle over the kettle spout while it’s heating up? Would boiling the kettle in the loft make any appreciable difference?

IHN

Cheshire may be many things, but it isn’t in the north.

Oh yes it funking well is 👿

Just.

camo16
    Free Member

Doesn’t anywhere on the other side of Watford classify as ‘North’ to the London posse?

In which case, Cheshire is pretty damn north.

MrSmith
    Free Member

The average steam in a espresso machine is 86 °C to 95 °C.. it’s you the coffee lovers are laughing at.

IHN

Doesn’t anywhere on the other side of Watford classify as ‘North’?

Depends where you are. From Cheshire, anywhere on the other side of Watford is ‘that London’

Sandwich

To make espresso you fire boiling steam through the ground coffee. And to make any kind of coffee in a machine you first must make a shot of espresso.

So much wrong there I don’t know where to begin. No steam used in espresso just water at 90 ish celsius and 15 bar pressure.

Back to Barista school for you my lad!

RustySpanner

Geographically, anywhere south of Deansgate is basically French.

And philosophically, Cheshire is about as far removed from the north as Kensington.

Sorry, I don’t make the rules……

unklehomered
    Free Member

You can taste the difference when boiling water is poured on ground coffee (well i can), it tastes burned. But so long as you do it to your own coffee though and not mine, then have at it by all means.

To make espresso you fire boiling steam

must resist…

through the ground coffee. And to make any kind of coffee in a machine you first must make a shot of espresso.

huh? Even a perculator??? Making any sort of espresso based coffee you must.

Interestingly unless camping I never use a stovetop maker as I don’t think the coffee tastes very nice at all…

fenred
    Free Member

Doesn’t anywhere on the other side of Watford classify as ‘North’ to the London posse?

In which case, Cheshire is pretty damn north.

I concur…I went as far ‘norf’ as Cannock once, rode those BBOD then came back ‘darn sarf’…Not going back up there again! 😉

camo16
    Free Member

Weird. Had a croissant in Leicester once and it was rubbish. 😀

IHN

And philosophically, Cheshire is about as far removed from the north as Kensington.

Mais non, mon ami

http://www.sasi.group.shef.ac.uk/maps/nsdivide/ns_divide_polygon.html

edlong
    Free Member

My windows are too leaky. Can I just stick the vacuum cleaner nozzle over the kettle spout while it’s heating up? Would boiling the kettle in the loft make any appreciable difference?

I reckon some sort of bell jar with a wacking great syringe attached – put bell jar over kettle, suck as much air as possible into the syringe et voila, edlong’s patented coffee water cafetiere water boiling thingy (might need to work on the branding a bit).

There was a thing on the telly last week where they did something like this – that prog where they replicate how factories make food – think they were trying to make cupasoup and had the same problem – needed boiling water, but not at 100 degrees cos they didn’t want to cook. As you might have gathered, I was only half-watching so may have some or all of these details wrong.

thorlz
    Free Member

Hoy you lot, lay off Cheshire.
    It’s a fine place(with the exceptions of Crewe and Winsford)all be it a little flat.

We are far enough North, so as we drink proper beers and put gravy on chips, yet not so far North as people need an interpreter to understand us 😆

Anyway 1hr from Peaks / Edale / Cannock / Llandegla (even though I’m not really keen on the place) / 40 mins from Buxton.

I like the place…….do for me.

Nick

I thought it was generally accepted that other than a proper espresso cafetiere coffee was the next best thing?

Stove top mocha pots make harsh coffee ime, ok if you like harsh coffee I suppose, but the water is clearly way too hot to make a descent cup.

GrahamS

joao3v16 – Member
    If I’m below sea level, does the boiling temperature of water increase?

molgrips – Member
    Yes.

Surely it depends on the air pressure within his submarine?

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

My favouritist restaurant in the whole wide world (well, maybe apart from the fish place on the seafront in Paros Town) serves coffee in one of these:

And its also the best coffee ever! No egg timer though…

IHN

Why would he want coffee inside his submarine? He’ll be nice and warm in there. He’ll want it ouside, where he’ll be cold.

bikebouy
    Free Member

If we are talking about altitude and boiling point of water, would latitude make a differance too??

I mean Chavshire’s in the Norf init, thats “up” therefore boiling point of water would be lower no? (or naaah if you is from Warrington, you seem to forget Warrington is in Cheshire, any reason for that?)

I propose we take a vote..

Coffee in Cheshire is going to boil at a lower temp than it would do down here (in sunny Brighton)

cynic-al
    Free Member

I struggle with long sentences but you do know that coffee “brews” more or less instantaneously?

anonymouse
    Free Member

The North does not begin at Watford. There is an argument that it starts at Watford Gap, which is nowhere near the London borough, but that argument will be laughed at by any proper Northener.

Bunnyhop

Camo 16 – Spill the beans (pun intended) and tell us where this mock tudor establishment serving beverages of a coffee coloured nature was?

Cheshire girly here, it’s definitely oopp North (our end anyhow).

molgrips
    Free Member

You don’t need to be in a submarine to be below sea level. Plenty of place on dry land are.

Al, why does it make a difference how long you brew for then?

camo16
    Free Member

Camo 16 – Spill the beans (pun intended) and tell us where this mock tudor establishment serving beverages of a coffee coloured nature was?

Boat House, Parkgate. 😯

Incidentally, last night’s beverage was completed as instructed – water poured in at c. 90-95 degrees, left in pot for three minutes and I have to tell you…

…it was damn good coffee. 😀

donsimon
    Free Member

FAIL!
    But one could see how you could confuse The Wirral with Cheshire. 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 117 total)

The topic ‘Have you ever been to a restaurant where…’ is closed to new replies.