Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Have you been to/heard about/got an opinion about La Grave?
  • jhw
    Free Member

In particular, show me photos!

What’s the riding like? Is it as good/legendary in the summer as it is in the Winter?

I know there aren’t many lifts and that Nico trained there back in the day. That’s all.

Thanks!

stuartm555
    Free Member

got plenty of winter photos – but I guess from the post it’s mtb photos you want?

awesome place though!

HeatherBash
    Free Member

>I know there aren’t many lifts<

Just the two iirc – a two stage telecabine and a drag lift back up to the Glacier.

Not sure on the mtb my hunch is, it’s fairly limited.

jhw
    Free Member

Albeit they’re two great big lifts

Looks pretty good here http://www.flickr.com/photos/dcsolomons/2626694705/in/set-72157605916124055/

Anyone been?

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

Cost is high compared to what’s on offer elsewhere. They discourage riding in the more busy seasons. There are only a couple of routes down. Some trails are ‘interdit’ for VTT. It looked like the riding would be good (in a loose rocky type way), but not good enough to justify the extra hassle and potentially walker-packed trails.

IMO Pila should be on your list if you think La Grave appeals to you.

I will add that I have ‘been’, but only got as far as the ticket office/carpark before thinking “That’s helluva expensive” and heading on to AD’H. I’ve skied there in winter. A.W.E.S.O…….

balfa
    Free Member

When I’ve been there in winter, i got the impression you were not allowed past P2 at 2400 with bikes. Can’t imagine there are too many ways either down due to the nature of the terrain. They warned people away from Freaux on bikes too leaving less options.

jhw
    Free Member

Oh. Bummer.

From the photos it does look a bit like rocky riding on which I just pogo, rather than the more flowing speedy stuff I know and love.

So it’s just a Winter place then

Trying to find somewhere awesome to go this summer that you don’t hear about so much. I’d read about La Grave BITD as being awesome riding but it sounds a bit rubbish compared to the usuals…

noncyclist
    Free Member

La Grave is a fantastic place to go for a bit of riding. Fitting 2 bikes and 2 riders in the lift is a bit of a challenge.You can only get to the 2nd station. But that does give you access to some fantastic riding. It can be super steep and rocky off the main paths though. We had to do a bit of via ferrata to get to some bits of track when we were there. Go midweek in the summer when its relatively quiet and you can get a decent amount of riding in. Don’t go there for the main destination for your trip you’ll do it all in two days if you try hard. Lots of other stuff nearby though so you can do a few spots. NOT flowing and fast though, deux alpes better for that.

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

Head to Les Orres and Pra Loup for some riding then to Sauze D’Oulx over the border in Italy.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Have you been to/heard about/got an opinion about La Grave?’ is closed to new replies.