• This topic has 61 replies, 50 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Bez.
Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)
  • Have we found a definitive cold weather glove yet?
  • Northwind

Those hothands/hotsocks look interesting, cheers! Am I right to say they’re not waterproof?

(I really like their vids on the website! Very honest about shortcomings and limitations, that’s ace)

Bregante

tbh I’m not sure. They’re certainly not breathable so I sort of assumed they were waterproof but I’m not really bothered either way tbh

Kryton57

I wore my new Galibier Barrier 3 gloves this weekend. Very good.

http://galibier.cc/product/barrier-ii-winter-glove/

montgomery
    Free Member

For a long time I used standard fingerless cycling mitts with Buffalo DP mitts over the top in really cold and/or wet conditions. I sometimes still do. The latter pack away small if you don’t need them later in the day. Not as clumsy/slippy as you might think, but I did contact Buffalo asking if they’d make a lobster claw version. They weren’t interested.

I’m currently using the Planet X crab claw things – fine so far, but similar caveats to above re: drying out, getting a bit of a pong on, etc.

Superficial
    Free Member

I’ve just bought some Fox forge gloves a week or so ago. In the extreme rain earlier this week, they wetted through pretty quickly which was disappointing but they were very warm throughout. I wore them for a sub-zero MTB ride this weekend and they were too warm – I took them off. They’re also a tiiiny bit bulkier than I am comfortable with so I’ll reserve them for when it’s extremely cold, and for road miles/commuting.

Clearly they’re not perfect, but I’m pretty happy with them so far. I reckon they’ll be just the thing for when it snows.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I’ve been using Mavic Inferno’s for a couple of years now, trouble is, it has to be close to zero and below for me to wear them or my hands get too hot.

taxi25
    Free Member

My hands get to hot in anything other than a 3 season glove. If it was to cold for them I wouldn’t go out 🙁

mooman
    Free Member

Gill 3mm neoprene sailing gloves.

Not fully tested them yet, but 1st impressions seem good.

£12 on ebay … so worth a punt.

bonesetter
    Free Member

Hey Dibbs – you got deep pockets?

Those inferno’s are £62!

They sound good though. One mag reviewer said they are just too warm above 7°

mattsccm
    Free Member

Dachstein’s

Dibbs
    Free Member

Those inferno’s are £62!

I don’t remember paying that much. 😳

butcher

How can it get really cold and wet? Or does the OP live on a moon of Saturn?

To be honest, I don’t think you can really quantify it just in temperatures.

For example, you can go out in sub zero-conditions, mild day, sun out, and have toasty hands all day. Then you can go out in +5 celcius, driving wind and rain, and stone cold hands – having to remove gloves every 5 mins just to warm your hands up! I often find it is the days near freezing that are the worst. Not the ones below.

Same goes for the type of riding you do. An hours MTB ride around the woods is nothing like a ride high up in the open hills, where something as little as a change in direction can change your condition from toasty to icy within seconds.

And on those points, it’s difficult to interpret reviews, because actual temperatures mean very little. It’s like measuring your fitness based on average speed, knowing nothing about terrain.

My own biggest problem with gloves appears to be waterproofing. My hands mostly get cold once wet, and also with wind chill. And I’m yet to find a glove that is actually waterproof like it claims to be, especially around the palms. A showerproof glove is fine for an hour, but not an all-dayer in torrential rain.

Thanks for the suggestions so far btw. Still completely undecided and not yet convinced by neoprene gloves.

wzzzz
    Free Member

Its wet + windchill thats bad.

I wear neoprene sailing / surfing gloves in these conditions. For all others I have the aldi gloves.

wet neoprene is OK for an hour or so but you end up with wrinkly fingers much longer.

Whatever you do, do not take neoprene gloves off when out. They don’t warm back up easily.

If you have to put them on wet, run them under the hot tap first.

Northwind

eulach – Member

How can it get really cold and wet? Or does the OP live on a moon of Saturn?

I gather it touched -6 during the Kinlochleven enduro, we were surrounded by snow and ice but everyone got wet too- running water etc. They’re not exclusive especially with height change.

nickscots1
    Free Member

3mm neoprene kayak gloves are good if cold and wet. Winter climbing presents cold/wet conditions and I just take 2-3 pairs of gloves. Biking, I use a thin inner with ski gloves. I think NI Issue leather gore text gloves would be good. Warm, dry and dextrous.

I have the North Cape mitts with pile inners as mentioned previously.

Bez

I suffer terribly from cold hands and feet, and these are the only gloves I’ve so far tried that I’ve yet to go numb in. Admittedly not sure I’ve yet tried them in torrential rain, but certainly they’ve out-performed everything else in the cold.

TimothyD
    Free Member

If you use thumbies or bar-ends, fleece lined mountaineering mittens. The lobster mitts look like a close second. 🙂

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Last night as an experiment I tried wearing two pairs of defeet Dura gloves. Worked so well I was kicking myself for not trying it before. All I need now is a waterproof shell and I can ditch my Sealskinz.

jameswilliams54
    Free Member

Bez what model are they can’t find them anywhere

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

I used all kinds of gloves for decades until given some pogies for xmas which were a revelation. No more wet gloves, hot gloves, fiddly gloves, no peeling off gloves to operate stuff or pick up stuff. No more dull ‘vanilla’ braking or shifting with fat condoms on yr fingers!. Now it’s pogies all the way. These are rain-proof and toasty (‘Cyglove’ brand) and I wish they fitted my drops.

Wait, you cycle in the winter for style and fashion purposes? Forget pogies!

*Edit – it seems that bar-mitts are available for drops – (as long as you typical ride on the hoods as there’d seemingly be no fast transitions to the brakes from the drops!). https://www.adventurecycling.org/cyclosource-store/apparel/sp/bar-mitts-pogies/

Bez

Bez what model are they can’t find them anywhere

They’re the Northwave Husky Lobster, although from a quick google it looks like they might only come as a 2+2 these days, which seems a bit silly. The 3+1 arrangement works really well.

Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘Have we found a definitive cold weather glove yet?’ is closed to new replies.