Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • Have we found a consensus on good riding trousers?
  • molgrips
    Free Member

For winter use, for the large-thighed large-arsed rider.

Humvee trousers look ok (I like the shorts and they *just* fit my thighs) but some saying they get very flappy in the wet.

Singletrack IIs look like there’ll be too much fabric up front and might bunch up when riding, but would otherwise be ideal.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

In proper winter I just go for tights, fashion isn’t worth it for the sake of practicality and warmth

molgrips
    Free Member

MT500s look good – stretch panels usually help me out, and since they’d be used in the cold the heavier weight would work.

lunge

In proper winter I just go for tights, fashion isn’t worth it for practicality and warmth

Correct answer. If you must, wear your baggy shorts over the top, but Lycra is just plain better in the mud and rain.

legend
    Free Member

Tights plus knee pads aint gonna work very well though

Rubber_Buccaneer

and thrice tights. Just plain practical

scotroutes

I’ve used Singletracks for winter and had little issue with them. Tights and waterproof shorts are almost always a better option though.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Stick pads over the tights I guess, I’d have thought pads under trousers was very unlikely to work unless they are like DH/MX pantaloons

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

I like my norrona trews, and my lycra tights too actually

molgrips
    Free Member

I have tights which I wear sometimes, but I also fancy trousers. Don’t ask why, I just do. I don’t wear pads.

roverpig

Tights plus knee pads aint gonna work very well though

Personally, I find the secret to comfortable pads is to have something underneath them, so tights work just fine for me. In fact, even in summer I tend to wear 3/4 bibs under my shorts so that they extend under the pads. We’re all different though.

legend
    Free Member

Rubber_Buccaneer – Member

Stick pads over the tights I guess, I’d have thought pads under trousers was very unlikely to work unless they are like DH/MX pantaloons

Pads over anything tends to be a recipe for them not staying in place. Wouldn’t expect to get big pads under anything, just something fairly low-profile. DH trews aren’t actually that baggy tbh, but just a bit too hot/heavy for pedalling in unless it’s truely horrid.

MX trews are just wrong unless worn with MX boots….. on an MX bike

slowoldman

Consensus? On STW?

munrobiker
    Free Member

Roubaix bib shorts, pads and baggies will provide sufficient winter warmth for most situations if you’re south of the border legend.

As for molgrips, if you just want them, well, good luck…

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ve been riding in all weathers, winter and summer for over 20 years, so I’ve worn a lot of tights and shorts combos and been warm, cold, wet, dry, all of it. Bib tights aren’t that confortable on the shoulders and back, and I don’t find two lots of waistbands comfortable either.

Question is does anyone know of good pair of MTB trousers?

Next time someone asks for coffee recommendations I’ll just tell them what tea I drink shall I? 🙂

legend
    Free Member

munrobiker – Member

Roubaix bib shorts, pads and baggies will provide sufficient winter warmth for most situations if you’re south of the border legend.

**** you, **** teuchter 😉 North of the border thank you very much.

Staple for me is very close to that. Normal bibs/liners, pads, decent socks, decent baggies. Basically leaves around 2 inches of exposed skin above the sock and that’s it. Once last year I rode in DH trews, and once (in biblical conditions) with the baggies replaced by waterproof trousers – that was an exceptional day though 😯 Like your thinking with the Roubaix bibs….

legend
    Free Member

Bib tights aren’t that confortable on the shoulders and back

Really? If they are tight then you should probably try and find a different brand that fits better, you should be able to pretty much forget you have the straps on.

lunge

Bib tights aren’t that comfortable on the shoulders and back, and I don’t find two lots of waistbands comfortable either.

May I, somewhat provocatively, suggest that you either buy some bibs that fit thereby fixing the first point, or don’t wear baggy shorts on top thereby fixing the second?

Or just buy some trousers which don’t work as well. Your call.

molgrips
    Free Member

As said, thread is about trousers.

Or just buy some trousers which don’t work as well.

Ok so can someone please talk about why trousers aren’t good?

fifeandy
    Free Member

Have we found a consensus on good riding trousers

The consensus is there are (and can never be) such a thing as good riding trousers.

Always excessively baggy, don’t stretch as you move, rub you as they crease, make noises rubbing on bike, catch in the chainring, not as warm as a roubaix warmer/tight, don’t breath well if waterproof and if not waterproof then weigh a ton when wet.

That said, everyone should own an emergency pair of waterproof trousers as in the most horrific conditions, its worth the drawbacks. For example I wore mine over leg warmers descending the Tourmalet in the snow – kept me dry and warm in conditions that could have been dangerous otherwise.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Flappy legs near chainrings
    Wet flappy material getting cold and flapping against skin
    Wet flappy material dragging over knees

acid877
    Free Member

Endura mt500 Trousers seem to be built to last, I had Gore ones which were great till they fell apart.

jimmy

Ron…

Hill…

Bikesters.

tall_martin

I have some troy Lee dh trousers. They are fine but in depths of winter I still wear tights with shorts and pads.

I can fit the knee pads under the trousers. They are very robust, but not particularly warm. Good for keeping brambles off though 🙂

lunge

They get wet, heavy and flap about. Then they start to restrict movement as they cling onto your legs. Then all that fabric starts to chafe. They’re also not as warm.

Other than that, they work perfectly…

Rubber_Buccaneer

jimmy – Member
    Ron…

Hill…

Bikesters.

They are more like baggy tights aren’t they. I have some ancient tracksters I used to climb in, they will outlast the cockroaches

scotroutes

I answered your question.

I find trousers good when it’s cold and dry (or even when there’s snow on the ground). Also handy if you’re heading to the pub/cinema/restaurant and you don’t want to be in obvious biking gear. The Singletracks can be cinched in at the ankle to avoid chainring clashes and have some reflective bits to assist in being seen by traffic. Decent pockets and vents too.

molgrips
    Free Member

Which trousers did you all use?

I had some pretty good stretch soft-shell outdoor trousers from REI which were ideal – no flappiness, warm, good in the wet, but they lacked ankle straps (despite being relatively slim at the ankle they still caught occasionally) and they wore through after three winters or so.

So good trousers can exist.

scotroutes

mattsccm
    Free Member

I’d go for the Ron Hills if normal cycling tights don’t suit. Or fleece tights if its cold.
    If you really want trousers looking in the climbing shops. Most are too loose but some are a close fit and you can always tuck tem in your socks.

trumpton
    Free Member

endura used to make weather pants which are very good.

endura range

roverpig

As I said above, I’m in the bib tights camp, but I do have a pair of Singletrack trousers, which I use on those rare days when it is dry. Tend to use them more for hiking in to be honest and wouldn’t fancy riding in them any time the trails are wet (which is 90% of the time up here), but on a cold dry day they are perfect 🙂

Gotama
    Free Member

Whilst i was sceptical before buying I’d recommend the MT500 Endura waterproof trousers. I run hot but these are excellent to the point where I wore them on a wet 11 degree night ride with knee pads and lycra shorts underneath and was fine. Lack of pockets is only downside. That said only a couple of rides in so we shall see how they hold up over time. Endura sizing, as usual, is a complete abomination so definitely a try it on or order a few pairs. They come up a fair bit smaller than the chart suggests but fortunately lbs had the complete range of sizes.

slowoldman

Gotama, is that the Waterproof Overtrousers or the Spray Trousers? I like the look of the Spray Trousers (the shorts and 3/4 are good).

fasthaggis

Bib tights (that fit) and endura hummvee (3/4).
    I don’t wear pads as I am an XC mincer fearless stupid hard as nails. If it’s going to be snow of any depth,I put on gaiters.

molgrips
    Free Member

I like the look of the spray ones, it says they are softshell which would make them like my old REI ones.

Although looking at this:

They look quite flappy on that chap. But they also look way too long so perhaps that’s a size issue.

Gotama
    Free Member

Slowoldman….the full on waterproof numbers. Ones in the linky below. I had a pair of the Spray shorts which I thought were pretty poor to be honest which was part of the reason I was sceptical about the full waterproof ones. A review on Pinkbike persuaded me to give them a try and glad I did. They breathe incredibly well and the completely waterproof aspect without any DWR treating style faff is what I was after.

http://www.endurasport.com/products/?ProductID=759&initcode=E8060BK

ton

as some of you know, I like to call for liquid refreshment whilst out cycling.
    and for all the money in the world, I would not be seen in a pub wearing anything tight and lycra.
    so this winter I shall be wearing some nice waxed Fjallraven trouser for riding in.
    warm, modest and enough style for a old bloke.

joolsburger
    Free Member
    Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Over the years it’s been water proof shorts, waterproof trousers and full length tights. However, I’ve had to review that because this last year’s are all padded up rides, so tights don’t work. Waterproof full calf socks, sit just under the pad and then normal under shorts and water proof shorts seem to be the most comfortable.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Have we found a consensus on good riding trousers?’ is closed to new replies.