Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Have we done this yet? Airless Tyres.
  • labsey
    Free Member

airless bicycle tires energy return wheel by britek

Few months old but did a search and nothing came back. What do you think? Seems ideal for my commute. Could you imagine a set of these on your pride and joy?

stuey
    Free Member

I’m intrigued – If Nokia and Michelin have been giving it serious R&D must be something in ’em <Insert dog poop gag>.

Just watched the video on labsey’s link – I couldn’t see any tyre deflection ? + how would you alter ‘air pressure’ to suit weight and trail conditions?

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Notice how slow and upright all the riding is? V sceptical, looks more like a proof of concept than a finished article.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Great! I’ll get some now and go ride round the woods in them. How much do you think they’ll weigh once they’ve filled up with claggy clay/mud???

composite
    Free Member

crashtestmonkey – Member

Notice how slow and upright all the riding is?

99% of STW catered for then.

svalgis
    Free Member

Great! I’ll get some now and go ride round the woods in them. How much do you think they’ll weigh once they’ve filled up with claggy clay/mud???

Yeah, and there’s no conceivable way to solve that particular issue, none at all.

nicko74

Have we done this yet?

YES! For the love of…

Still, no reason not to do it again 🙂

bland

Jesus there has been some shite inventions around in bike world this week

A lock in a seatpost (the seatpost can be removed with an allen key)
    Doh!

And a helmet which can fold up (but actually just collapses and stays pretty much exactly the same size
    Grrrr!

Who is sponsoring all of these bleeding pipe dreams?

Its as if we are going back in time, like reading the small chinese ads in the back of MTB International in the mid 90’s and thinking “oh boy”

labsey
    Free Member

Alright that slightly-compressible helmet is bobbins. 20% space saved?

how would you alter ‘air pressure’ to suit weight and trail conditions?

You adjust the carbon nano tube reinforced composite rods. Not sure how, maybe with a nano sized allen key.

hammyuk
    Free Member

A simple Kevlar cord running through the core – tighten it – increase tension/ air pressure – lossen it……

aracer
    Free Member

You adjust the carbon nano tube reinforced composite rods. Not sure how, maybe with a nano sized allen key.

At manufacture. Though I suspect even the designers aren’t sure how.

hammyuk – that would be like putting preload on a coil shock – changes the ride height, but not the rate.

Oh and in answer to the question posed by the title, yes quite a while ago:
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/energy-return-wheel-airless-bicycle-tires-i-like
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/tubelessand-airless

float
    Free Member

A lock in a seatpost (the seatpost can be removed with an allen key)

still locks everything though…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

still locks everything though…

+1

My lock isn’t bolted to anything while locking my bike up!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Have we done this yet? Airless Tyres.’ is closed to new replies.