Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Have we done this year's Nobel Prize for literature yet?
  • I_did_dab
    Free Member

It appears that the answer is blowing in the wind.

SaxonRider

I am quite pleased, but think that Leonard Cohen probably deserves it more according to the criteria given for Dylan’s award.

martinhutch

Irvine Welsh is chuffed:

I’m a Dylan fan, but this is an ill conceived nostalgia award wrenched from the rancid prostates of senile, gibbering hippies

😀

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    neilthewheel

Well, I think it’s very nice.

Nico
    Free Member

Val Doonican next.

neilthewheel

Nobel prizes are only for the living.

MSP

Pam Ayres then, the establishment never give her the recognition she deserves.

Garry_Lager

SaxonRider – Member

I am quite pleased, but think that Leonard Cohen probably deserves it more according to the criteria given for Dylan’s award. A shared prize would have been fitting to honour the two giants. Has been done a few times before for Literature, but it’s rare.
    I think Len is superior, myself, but not sure how relevant he is today. Not sure how relevant Dylan is either, but his influence is massive and obvious.

ctk
    Free Member

Last thoughts on Woody Guthrie is a poem by Dylan, if you haven’t heard it before its brilliant!

His book chronicles us really good as well.

BigJohn

On the BBC nobody has dared to make a critical comment. He’s one of their bloody saints.

matt_outandabout

I might go and door step him today, he’s just across the valley, just to see how he feels about this thread the Nobel prize….

BillMC

John Cooper Clarke. Dylan and Cohen? Nah!

CountZero

I would have preferred Laughing Len, as a poet, writer and songwriter, and observer of the human condition, but Dylan has certainly had a massive amount of influence when it comes to political protest, in much the same way as Woodie Guthrie, but with a much wider audience.
    It’s also perfectly true that Dylan’s songs are far better sung by anyone but him!
    Let’s face it, exactly how many previous winners of the Prize for Literature can anyone actually name without resorting to Wiki, and how many have ever bothered to read any winning books?
    Frankly, I can’t name a single one, and I care even less.

BigJohn

I hope he spends the money on mouth organ lessons.

martinhutch

Now the Nobel committee is a bit miffed because Bob hasn’t been returning their calls..how dare he?

Arrogant Bob!

Perhaps they never read the lyrics to Masters of War and considered what he might think about the Nobel legacy.

Let me ask you one question
    Is your money that good?
    Will it buy you forgiveness
    Do you think that it could?
    I think you will find
    When your death takes its toll
    All the money you made
    Will never buy back your soul”

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Have we done this year's Nobel Prize for literature yet?’ is closed to new replies.