Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Have we done the Turkey elections yet?
  • gobuchul
    Free Member

I don’t get it.

WTF would anyone vote for less democratic control of their government?

“Vote for me and I will take power and control away from you!”

I don’t get it.

Am I missing something?

Pigface
    Free Member

A conflicted country just got worse.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Did they vote for christmas?

DrJ

They voted to give the rulers more power to deal with external threats. Sort of like taking back control.

convert

They voted to give the rulers more power to deal with external threats. Sort of like taking back control.

Was it not more they voted the rulers more autonomous power, without pesky things like a parliament getting in the way.

I spent a few years in Turkey in my 20s and always thought is a great place with (relatively) progressive governance. Atatürk must be turning in his grave over the events of the last couple of years.

Very good.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Islamic Government is not democratic by design, leaders are “appointed”. Erdogan has shifted his stance over the years to be more and more traditionally Islamic, this is just a natural next step for him. They had a revolution in Iran to replace democracy with Islamic Government.

Atatürk must be turning in his grave over the events of the last couple of years.

Well said. The notion of a progressive secular state seems to be dissapearing in the rear view mirror.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Islamic Government is not democratic by design, leaders are “appointed”.

You are going to get some pelters for this!

Turkey has a secular Government, famously set up by Ataturk.

You need to fact check a bit before posting.

pictonroad

On this occasion if you read back what Jamba wrote, he’s right.

On this occasion.

gobuchul
    Free Member

That is an edited post. It’s not what he originally posted.

I guess he realised the stupidity of the original.

MoreCashThanDash

Interesting another split between urban and rural voters. That disconnect seems to be a factor in a lot of recent votes.

wilburt
    Free Member

Good for Sanish tourism.

Turkey may have had a secular goverment, it doesn’t now its just another Islamic nutjob country.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

wilburt – Member
    Good for Sanish tourism.

Turkey may have had a secular goverment, it doesn’t now its just another Islamic nutjob country.

😯 Blimey, and they call Brexiters racist…

zippykona

Is this vote good for Russia, have they been “helping” things?

surfer
    Free Member

Almost exactly like that… Oh hang on I meant to say its nothing like that at all. I was going to say god effort, but that wouldnt be true either.

alpin
    Free Member

Bit crazy….

My hair dresser, Sena, of the last 5 years was y telling me about it the other week. She went to one of the polling stations set up in Munich (polling stations in Germany have been open for ages in the run up to the Turkish vote.. They want as much footfall as possible).

Didn’t have any wording on the ballot paper, just “Yes” & “No”. All the advertising/propaganda had simply asked “do you want to make Turkey great”. Nothing saying what you were specifically voting for.

Large rural population who are mostly in awe of Erdogan.

A massive step backwards for Turkish democracy. Likely, according to my hairdresser friends only to be broken by a coup or a revolution, but not in the next 15-20 years….

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Didn’t have any wording on the ballot paper, just “Yes” & “No”. All the advertising/propaganda had simply asked “do you want to make Turkey great”. Nothing saying what you were specifically voting for.

Holy shizzle and hot damn.

outofbreath
    Free Member

“WTF would anyone vote for less democratic control of their government?”

Personally, I’m sick of the Government asking me what I want. The taxpayer pays Civil servants with Oxbridge double-firsts to tell the Politicians what’s best. I very much doubt I’m going to know better than them.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

eddiebaby – Member
    wilburt – Member
    Good for Sanish tourism.

Blimey, and they call Brexiters racist…

Last I looked, Islam was a religion, not a race…

shermer75
    Free Member

Excellent work! 🙂

vinnyeh

Bit crazy….

My hair dresser, Sena, of the last 5 years was y telling me about it the other week. She went to one of the polling stations set up in Munich (polling stations in Germany have been open for ages in the run up to the Turkish vote.. They want as much footfall as possible).

Oh, come on Alpin. Surely not. Really? 🙄

😆

shermer75
    Free Member

Is this vote good for Russia, have they been “helping” things?

1. Yes
    2. Most likely

thepurist

52/48 wasn’t it? Tricky one for our government to comment on if they’re not 100% behind the outcome.

slowoldman

Well let’s be fair. Half the population are nut jobs. Sound familiar?

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Last I looked, Islam was a religion, not a race…

Last I looked, Wilburt was having a dig at Turkey. Which I seem to remember being a country.

welshfarmer

Pretty sure this wasn’t an election, but rather a referendum to seek public support for constitutional change. Like a similar referendum the vote was extremely close (51.4% in favour), certainly no-where near the 2/3rds majority normally touted as being a sensible level on which to completely change the way a country functions.

epicyclo

gobuchul – Member
    I don’t get it.

“Vote for me and I will take power and control away from you!”

Probably got the idea from Auntie Theresa who is planning to do exactly that with the transition of laws from the EU without parliamentary scrutiny.

grum
    Free Member

According to Turkish friends it was completely fixed anyway, plus Erdogan and his family/friends own virtually all the media. So not that different to our referendum vote.

wilburt
    Free Member

Nothing like the same, Erdogan is a religious extremist building an authoritarion state.
    10 yrs time Turkey will another Iran Iraq.

mattyfez

A bit like brexit then, only more extreme.

MSP

They had a revolution in Iran to replace democracya dictator with Islamic Government.

FTFY

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The UK just did, going from 2 layers of democratically elected representatives to one. Removing a layer of judicial oversight too, what is such a surprise?

dudeofdoom

The world is definately becoming an ‘interesting’ place.

Can’t see this all playing out well 🙁

zippykona

Are there any countries where the **** wits aren’t taking over?

wilburt
    Free Member

Its a Slo-Mo Zombie Apocalypse.

epicyclo

zippykona – Member
    Are there any countries where the **** wits aren’t taking over?

Scotland

jambalaya
    Free Member

That is an edited post. It’s not what he originally posted.

I guess he realised the stupidity of the original.

Don’t think I edited the post other than add the Attaturk quote which I agreed with.

During the last election campaign Erdogen made a dramatic shift towards a more Islamic approach in his language

@mike in June 2016 we voted to restore our democracy

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Have we done the Turkey elections yet?’ is closed to new replies.