Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Have we done the Salsa Powderkeg?
  • ratherbeintobago

Now, who makes a tandem-rated 100mm 29er fork?

AlexSimon

oooooooh – mind you it’s as dear as many other options.

singlespeedstu

I recon a Pike would be up to the job.

I’d be putting a 150 on it though not a 100mm.
    You want as much travel as possible on a tandem. Not being able to lift the front properly you just have to ram things. 🙂

johnnystorm

$4000…same in £ too I guess. 🙁

schmiken

You don’t need loads of travel, only got 110mm on our Ventana. A bit of finesse goes a long way!

singlespeedstu

A bit of finesse goes a long way!

Finesse-tandem-descending fast.
    One of those words doesn’t fit in. 🙂

switchbacktrog
    Free Member

Tandem rated fork

We’re running a 26″ Pike @140mm on our Ventana ECdM and might get it lowered even further, perhaps 120mm to get nearer the designed travel. long travel seems to upset the handling and feel too much, even with an AngleSet fitted.

That looks like an expensive version of the Cannondale tandem, complete with a bottom bracket that’s too low. Should be good for Sustrans type touring as it’s loaded with bottle cages and rack mounts.

Salsa tandem thread

frood
    Free Member

Loving the look of this. Not sure I agree with the MTBR forum comment about flows being considered a wimpy rim! Girlfriend and I are celebrating 10 years together this year… time to replace the ageing Dawes The Edge tandem? Would be nice to move on to discs rather than the cantis and rear drum combo we’re currently on!
    Probably would go frameset and home spec build with hydro discs though

AlexSimon

One of the first things I thought of when Pact started up was a reasonably-priced suspension-adjusted tandem frame. I wonder if anyone else suggested it.

Surely a whole deore-equipped bike should be doable for £1200 rigid or £1400 suspended.

switchbacktrog
    Free Member

Not sure I agree with the MTBR forum comment about flows being considered a wimpy rim!

Probably talking about the hubs rather than the rims.

switchbacktrog
    Free Member

Surely a whole deore-equipped bike should be doable for £1200 rigid or £1400 suspended.

This is probably the cheapest “proper” MTB tandem……………..Lapierre Tandem
    £2500.

It’s a bit of a niche market so you’re not going to get the huge numbers of sales you get from a “half bike” to justify the high production and development costs of the tandem.

When we got our Lapierre, nobody in the UK even had one in stock to have a look/ride. I doubt the main distributor holds many.

What’s Pact

AlexSimon

What’s Pact

Brant’s new post-on-one venture. Seeking partners to make bikes. For example Alpkit seem to be working with him on an adventure bike and a few individuals have got specific frames made with him I think.

If that Lappiere was sold direct, it would be about £1800 which is more like it.

Everyone thought that on-one fatty was niche until it became their best-selling frame. Tandems have a lot more marketing problems (people can’t store them or transport them for example), but I know a lot of people who like riding the one we have access to in our group.

ThePinkster

What trail centre for MTB tandems?
    😉

singlespeedstu

Afan isnit.
    Mincy

AlexSimon

BPW obvs

nbt

*cough* keep watching. I hear rumours of something in the works…

http://dawescycles.com/product/double-edge/

Set up for “rough” touring as stock, but you could add chunky tyres and a suspension fork. We certainly manage on our dawes tandem.

scotroutes

Glentress
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/5vYWQG]The Tandem nosedives[/url] by paul.newman4279, on Flickr

AlexSimon

*cough* keep watching. I hear rumours of something in the works…

ooooohhh 🙂

benji
    Free Member

It’s singlespeedable as well, now what’s not to like about that. Just amazed it’s not got a fat front on it.

sportsnapper
    Free Member

Hi, just spotted the post about BPW above – it’s not, apparently for tandems. We now own the Lapierre mentioned above, and were in Brecon last week. Went to BPW on our off day, looking to ride the next day, and got told that they weren’t allowing tandems

I’ve just sent them an email asking to clarify this – after all, I’d emailed them a few weeks before clarifying the situation with the uplift, and parking for a motorhome in the carpark They didn’t mention that we couldn’t rids then. Short excerpt from the email.

As it says on your website “We believe in making mountain biking accessible to everyone from extreme to serene”

We did come to Wales, and rode the Gap in Brecon on Wednesday. Thursday was really wet, and we took the day off – but were close to Merthyr, so dropped in to look at the facilities and perhaps grab some coffee – planning on riding BPW on the Friday.

We got chatting to one of your uplift drivers about the ride up, and he told us that Tandems weren’t allowed at BPW – bit of a surprise after the emial I got below that seemed to welcome us with open arms. So we asked to get this clarified. He disappeared, and came back saying “yes, no tandems, some decision from ‘On High’ “

So disappointed on a number of levels.
    1. You didn’t point this out on 14th Jan
    2. It’s not on your website, anywhere.
    3. It was a driver who told us, not anyone from the management team that came out to talk to us after the initial enquiry
    4. We didn’t get to ride what is meant to be one of the purpose built trail centres in the UK

I’ll keep you posted on the response.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Have we done the Salsa Powderkeg?’ is closed to new replies.