Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • Have we done the one about the PL footballer mouthing off to the cyclist?
  • sbob
    Free Member

mrmo – Member

read the cyclists statement, the road was clear

You’ve fallen at the first hurdle there mrmo, as the road wasn’t clear it had a bloody great big 4×4 in it that the cyclist rode into.

If the driver had been paying attention he would have not pulled into the road if there was an obstruction to have to stop, etc.

I think it’s nice that you’ve found your place in the herd and will defend this cyclist to the end, but the driver may have needed to stop suddenly for a hazard that wasn’t there when he started to pull out.

I can give you an example if you’d like.

If the driver had pulled over a sensible distance from the junction , even on double yellows, then there wouldn’t have been a crash as the cyclist would have been given more time to stop/react.

Yes, in an ideal world the driver would have made allowances for the cyclist who was cycling too fast and too close.

One of the fundamentals of safe road use is to always be able to stop in the distance you can see is, and can reasonably expect to remain, clear.
    The cyclist failed to do this and that resulted in the accident.

Neither party is totally guilty or innocent, but the driver has driven off after a crash without giving details when requested.

Correct, the driver is guilty of failing to stop, the cyclist is responsible for the crash in the first place.

hora
    Free Member

Why didn’t the cyclist ask the footballer to explain himself? Or would the wendyball player have shat himself?

stilltortoise
    Free Member

This is my take. An incident has occurred where no one is 100% at fault. The driver, through arrogance and idiocy or simply an error of judgment, is now subject to a social media witch hunt, the traces of which will remain on the internet ad infinitum. Neither party comes out of this well as far as I can see, and I can’t help but feel it’s all a bit pathetic. These people will be judged on 10s of thousands of internet opinions like mine for what was really a bit of a non-event.

pingu66
    Free Member

At the same time, as I was turning, the matte black vehicle had abruptly stopped against the kerb on the exit of the junction on the double yellow lines.

Means vehicle stopped

I saw it and braked but couldn’t stop in time,

Travelling to fast and too close, not checked his route was clear ie pulled into the read of a vehicle.

hitting the back of the vehicle.

Ahh bless

My face and shoulder took the impact with the back of my professional level race bike going vertical into the air and slamming back down onto the road.

Cock, and how fast was he riding for his bike to go vertical immediately after???

I don’t see where the cyclist despite suggesting the vehicle was speeding and driving erratically says the driver swerved in front of him and stopped.

pondo

As I was refuting a clearly incorrect statement by someone, I’d say it was entirely “here”, but thanks for your opinion.

Hey, no sweat – the post you quoted said

If the story above is entirely true then the fault lies entirely with the driver

Which doesn’t specifically reference either the collision or the failure to exchange details, so I thought I’d mention them both, rather than assuming everyone knew which bit I was on about. 🙂

Jamie
    Free Member

Or would the wendyball player have shat himself?

Careful, Hora. You’re being a bit too obvious there.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Can we say it was 50:50 and stop all this arguing, I’m feeling all fuzzy and nice today and don’t want to get embroiled in a nasty Internet fight.

Why didn’t the cyclist ask the footballer to explain himself? Or would the wendyball player have shat himself?

Footballer and wendyball player in the same sentence? Get a grip man, you either love or loathe.

hora
    Free Member

you either love or loathe.

Neither, tried getting into it but I can’t get my head round 1.5hours where no one wins or scores.

I did enjoy the drinking and meeting fans from other teams though when I was younger 🙂

mrmo
    Free Member

Sbob,

So on the basis of this quote from you, you are happy to have the Q7 driver prosecuted? Clearly driving in a dangerous manner by stopping for no reason in a dangerous and illegal manner?

Or do you want to change your opinion?

but I would rather we concentrated on aspects of bad driving that are responsible for far more accidents than the 4% caused by excess speed.

Please note your use of the word accident is wrong, there are very few “accidents” something that implies **** happens no one at fault etc. Lots of incidents though, that are the result of stupidity and negligence.

Though obviously speed wasn’t an issue as it only accounts for 4% of incidents.

Or maybe the reality is that speed is an issue maybe not the primary issue in far more incidents? Was speed the cause or was it negligent driving? Or maybe a bit of both?

sbob
    Free Member

So on the basis of this quote from you

You’re delving into other threads to try and win this argument?
    Things aren’t looking good for you!
    (I’m kidding, I’ve always wanted a stalker.)

you are happy to have the Q7 driver prosecuted? Clearly driving in a dangerous manner by stopping for no reason in a dangerous and illegal manner?

Or do you want to change your opinion?

Neither.
    The primary reason for the accident was the poor cycling.
    I have already stated that there are legitimate reasons why the Q7 driver might have stopped suddenly in those circumstances.

Please note your use of the word accident is wrong

Please note your picking on semantics does not bolster your position.

there are very few “accidents” something that implies **** happens no one at fault

That’s your definition and implication, not mine. I use the word “accident” as I’m sure the cyclist didn’t deliberately drive into the Audi, although I have witnessed behaviour like this.

Though obviously speed wasn’t an issue as it only accounts for 4% of incidents.

Where did you achieve that level of logic?
    Speed accounts for some accidents, so speed does not account for this accident.
    That’s what you have just said.

Or maybe the reality is that speed is an issue maybe not the primary issue in far more incidents? Was speed the cause or was it negligent driving? Or maybe a bit of both?

Without movement, there would be no collision so speed is at least a secondary factor of all accidents.
    In this case, speed, distance to the vehicle in front and poor observation were the cause of this accident.
    Having only the cyclist’s version of events I wouldn’t try and apportion.

edlong
    Free Member

In all this arguing about whether to mainly blame the cyclist or the motorist, we’re forgetting the constabulary’s role in how this ended up as a social media witch hunt. I’ve added the bit that I think was missing from the original account in bold:

Later on that evening I contacted the Police and reported the incident. The next morning I was told that the police could not be bothered to trace foreign registered cars for a minor incident.

I mean, either they can trace foreign reg. numbers, or they can’t, surely?

spacemonkey

either they can trace foreign reg. numbers, or they can’t, surely?

Surely with a copy of the plate they can identify the country it’s registered in, and subsequently contact the respective agency, non?

sbob
    Free Member

Later on that evening I contacted the Police and reported the incident. The next morning I was told that the police could not be bothered to trace foreign registered cars for a minor incident.

I’d rather be told that than be laughed out of the station after admitting cycling straight into the back of a very large car.
    They were probably just being polite. 😆

Gary_M
    Free Member

I’d imagine its a time consuming process and given the nature of the incident then not worth the man hours. Cyclist bumps into back of car due to inconsiderate driving is hardly a major crime.

edlong
    Free Member

…in which case the guy was fundamentally right wasn’t he? If he’d been in a less distinctive (and photographed) foreign reg’d car, his hypothesis of “I’ll get away with it cos of my foreign reg.” was right smack on the money.

And everyone’s okay with that?

taxi25
    Free Member

What a load of rubbish !! Realy nothing has happened. Chris Hoy’s involvement seems ridiculous, whats he doing involving himself with this nonsense ??

sbob
    Free Member

And everyone’s okay with that?

If I ever cause an accident and the other driver just wants to drive off I’ll be ecstatic! 😀

molgrips
    Free Member

there are very few “accidents” something that implies **** happens no one at fault

Let’s just clear something up.

“Accident” means that something happened unintentionally. It DOES NOT imply no-one was at fault.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Named as Steven Nzonzi by the dailywail

edlong
    Free Member

Chris Hoy’s involvement seems ridiculous, whats he doing involving himself with this nonsense ??

As I understand it, his involvement amounted to hitting “retweet” which now, according to the mass media makes it “..the campaign, supported by Chris Hoy…”

butcher

Whilst the cyclist might not have been riding impeccably here, it does highlight a serious problem, in that some people think it’s OK not to stop because you’re just on a bike. Just because the guy is up and speaking doesn’t mean he’s uninjured, the very least any reasonable human being would do is check that they’re OK. There’s something very wrong if all they can do is say ‘You’ll never find me’ and drive off. I’m surprised people can’t see that.

clanton
    Free Member

The way this thread has gone is bizarre……

The facts are – the man was illegally parked – HE caused the accident.

He then failed to give his details – again HE is at fault.

As for mitigation – there was no emergency cause to stop – he had an “emergency” need to draw cash.

How anyone can see this as not 100% the driver’s fault is beyond me.

scaredypants

The car moved off from the junction onto the main road. I looked right for oncoming cars, saw it was clear and turned left onto the main road.

At the same time, as I was turning, the matte black vehicle had abruptly stopped against the kerb on the exit of the junction on the double yellow lines. I saw it and braked but couldn’t stop in time, hitting the back of the vehicle
    Sounds to me like he came off the roundabout, looked up and saw the car stationary in front of him

Bad driving; bad riding, especially for someone who supposedly had identified that car as potential trouble

Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Have we done the one about the PL footballer mouthing off to the cyclist?’ is closed to new replies.