Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 124 total)
  • Have we done the old fool on the M1 yet?
  • metalheart
    Free Member

I took my motorcycle licence a couple years ago. Part of me thought taking the theory part a bit ridiculous. However having gone through it I think it was worthwhile and agree it’s necessary (hey, things have changed since the 80’s, the last time I read the Highway Code!). Doing a DAS meant I had a couple of days training (the other guy on it was adding to his car licence too) that also transferred to the car. I honestly think it’s made me a better driver (the Loon has said as much) it’s certainly slowed me down and increased my hazard perception (it’s amazing how complacent I’d been regards red triangle warning traffic signs).

I’m not sure retesting is the answer, continued training should be mandatory though. Refresher course after 5 years then every 10 perhaps? Obviously there would need to be some sort of mechanism to *catch* people who shouldn’t be driving! recommendation of retest if person falls below required standard?

avdave2

Driverless cars can’t come soon enough,the population is aging and we all want to keep our independence and mobility and public transport provision is patchy.

Northwind

“retesting” doesn’t have to mean an exact resit of the driving test- though, a lot of the opposition to that seems to be around “I couldn’t pass a driving test today” which is pretty worrying when you think about it, how can you be content that your driving is below the minimum entry standard? There’s elements I’d want to get back up to speed, some of the maneouvres but if you can’t get it together and drive to test standard with a little notice, get off the road, surely?

But an “existing driver” test could be a simple ridealong competence test, like we do for work before you can use company vehicles, and that’s a different kettle of fish.

The system as it is doesn’t really seem to work. I’m a diabetic on insulin so every 3 years I need a medical extension, it’s not perfect but it kind of works… But as a healthy diabetic I’m far less a risk tham frinstance my dad, who was bloody nearly blind and had voluntarily stopped driving long before anyone decided to take away his licence.

wwaswas

Maybe mandatory gps equipped dash cams would make people think about the standard of their driving?

aracer
    Free Member

Hopefully insurance companies might help bring that about by offering a discount for drivers using one – it’s certainly something I’d be looking into if I was in charge of risk assessment at an insurance company.

MSP

We have developed a carcentric society and old people being reliant on their cars is just one aspect of that. Many localised services are gone even down to the small rows of shops on the estates and in the villages where people live.

Taking away their car license is just condemning many of them to a life of isolation.

We need to address many problems of urban planning, local services and local businesses. It would make most peoples lives better, and the ability of (old) people to still have a life without a car is just one small piece of the jigsaw.

scotroutes

Maybe mandatory gps equipped dash cams would make people think about the standard of their driving?

replacing airbags with large metal spikes would also work.

Cougar

a lot of the opposition to that seems to be around “I couldn’t pass a driving test today” which is pretty worrying when you think about it, how can you be content that your driving is below the minimum entry standard?

There’s two ways to take this really. The driving test is a very specific way of driving, which with time and experience people naturally move away from. Shuffling the steering wheel is probably a good example, if I got in a car with a driver who shuffled the wheel I’d think they’d just passed their test and I’d probably be quite nervous.

On the other hand, this statement could be saying “I couldn’t pass a test now because I’ve forgotten most of it.” These are the people that a retest should aim to catch. It should be possible to engineer a test which checks for real-world competence, whilst removing requirements for behaviours which are good practice when you’re a new driver but get replaced with better techniques as you get more experienced. For instance, using the ‘wrong’ side of the road in a safe and controlled manner is something I was taught as part of an Advanced Driving session, yet it’d almost certainly be a test failure.

Every budding photographer knows about the ‘rule of thirds.’ It’s a basic method of composing a pleasing shot that you shoulf “always” use, and often comes as a revelation to those who’ve been unknowingly breaking it for years. However, once you become much more experienced you learn that actually, it’s ok to break this rule sometimes for artistic effect and you work out how and why to do it to make creative, dramatic shots. Driving’s kind of similar; you’re taught good practices for a beginner as it’s simpler to teach (and thus, learn) “never do this” rather than adding unnecessary complication in the form of “actually, it’s ok to do this carefully in certain specific circumstances.”

So, yeah. If you think you won’t pass because you can’t drive like a learner, the test should allow for that. If you think you won’t pass because you’re not proficient enough, your knowledge is out of date or you can’t see ten feet in front of your nose then you’re exactly why we need retests.

aracer
    Free Member

Depends what you mean by shuffling the wheel. I very rarely use my hands on the steering wheel in a way which would fail a driving test.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Assuming you don’t need any lessons to get back up to scratch.

I’m pretty sure I’d fail if I sat my test again tomorrow.

The driving test is an assessment to see if you are at the minimum safe standard to be allowed on the roads. You have just admitted that you are not upto that standard – why are you still on the roads?

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Cougar » The driving test is a very specific way of driving, which with time and experience people naturally move away from. Shuffling the steering wheel is probably a good example, if I got in a car with a driver who shuffled the wheel I’d think they’d just passed their test and I’d probably be quite nervous.

I “shuffle” the wheel. It is by far the safest and quickest way to turn the car when done properly.

Cougar

Oh, and,

things have changed since the 80’s, the last time I read the Highway Code

Well, bloody well read it, then. Seriously, you’re piloting a couple of tons of steel at 70mph in public. You could probably go cover to cover in about ten minutes, and now it’s online and free. Even if you don’t care, do it for the benefit of everyone else before you fail to understand a sign meaning “level crossing without barriers” and some poor sod will need a mop and a spatula.

I really, really don’t get this mentality. It’s the same revelling-in-my-own-ignorance I hear from people who need to use a computer for their job and sit their laughing about how they know nothing about computers, like it’s a badge of honour, something to be proud of. If you’re an accountant and can’t use Excel, it’s time you learnt FFS, or considered a career change.

Cougar

Depends what you mean by shuffling the wheel. I very rarely use my hands on the steering wheel in a way which would fail a driving test.

I “shuffle” the wheel. It is by far the safest and quickest way to turn the car when done properly.

Poor example then perhaps, but it was just that, an example.

Are you both saying you ‘shuffle’ as you’d be taught as a learner driver, or talking about something different?

wanmankylung
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gqMxU35AJU[/video]

aracer
    Free Member

Yep, pretty much the same as in TZF’s video

I do get the more general point that there are some things which you move on from when you get more advanced, but I’d like to think my every day driving wouldn’t result in me failing a driving test (I suppose I probably would because of the failure to move my head when using the mirrors).

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Not moving your head just does not lead to failing the test. Not using your mirrors does. If an experienced driver was having to move their head lots to look in their mirrors I’d be worried that they couldnt set their mirrors up correctly.

metalheart
    Free Member

Oh, and,

things have changed since the 80’s, the last time I read the Highway Code

Well, bloody well read it, Oh, and,then.[/quote]

Woooosh.

Did you actually read my post or just think **** it I’ll pull this all out of context and be an arse?

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Got rear ended by 30 year old last Sunday on M5 at 0640 in his BMW, asleep or phone we think. On inside lane at 55mph, rest lanes clear and he runs into me. Fires me into barriers and I spin down the road for 200m. Car written off. Another three children nearly lost their dad.

Its not just the old. What about those that are offered driver rehab? Instead they have to retake their driving test. Bet that would affect a few on here or is it easier to just pick on someone becasue of their age regardless that they havent committed an offence.

One old guy causes an accident, what about the rest? One law that fits all not singles people out because of age?

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Did you actually read my post or just think **** it I’ll pull this all out of context and be an arse?

Are you new here?

br
    Free Member

Still wouldn’t have made a difference to the M1 accident, just might have had a record of it…

thegreatape
    Free Member

That’s a fair point Pawsy Bear, it’s not going to weed out everyone we might want to stop driving. But if you split bad drivers into those that could drive safely if they wanted to and those that, for whatever reason (poor eyesight, infirmity, dementia) simply can’t drive safely, then mandatory retests or other suitable regular checks will at least identify some of the substandard drivers, which would help. The solution to the drivers that choose to be shit drivers is enforcement, education or a combination of both I would think, depending on the situation.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Or stopped these drug fuelled idiots driving st 90mph, what was that about the one old Guys?

Sussex Police release drug driving death crash video
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-34510180

Onzadog
    Free Member

We’re really pround of the wife’s farther. After a recent car accident (only he was involved) he’s agreed to surrender his license. It’s limited him a lot as he lives in a semi rural location but it was the right thing to do. I do feel sorry for him as losing independence in your 80s must be one of anyone’s biggest fears. However, I can’t imagine how it would feel to not make that decision and then be responsible for someone else’s death.

I support the idea of retesting. How about a tiered system? Once a year, take a two hour refresher lesson or, every three, retake your L test, or every ten, take an advanced test.

The other problem is that road policing is now done by speed cameras rather than proper traffic cops who can notice weaving, phone use, tailgating etc etc.

metalheart
    Free Member

Are you new here?

No, I’ve been here long to remember who you are/were. In fact I think we’ve met.

I was railing at cougars ignoring completely that my post was about how having to take the theory test was beneficial for me (implicit in that would be some revision at least of the Highway Code). But no, there are high horses to ride. Apparently.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

not just the doddery old is it – these 2 only killed themselves

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-34510180

Cougar

Yep, pretty much the same as in TZF’s video

Gotcha. So it’s basically test technique (as far as I remember), but using all of the wheel.

Woooosh.

I didn’t intentionally pull it out of context, I misread it. I thought you were talking about yourself rather than others’ attitudes. I wholeheartedly apologise.

Point still stands for people who do think like that though, and there are plenty out there I’d wager.

ebygomm
    Free Member

Well I learnt that I should check the travel before setting off at 5:45am. Someone managed to crash in the queue so was closed from 26 to 24 at 6am, so after getting on at 27 spent an hour before diverted off at 26. Bolloxed my morning up.

Some poor families had far worse mornings though – RIP

gravity-slave
    Free Member

I was driving home up the M1 after a night out, about 3am. 2 mates asleep in the back, Mrs asleep in the front seat. I was fully alert, middle lane, slow right hand curve, saw something but brain couldn’t work it out. There was a ‘whoosh’ and the car jolted a bit…

Oncoming car in the fast lane of the M1, fast. We were in middle lane doing a reasonable speed. Closing speed was probably well over 160mph.

I didn’t really click what happened until I could see the tail lights disappearing.

Terrifying.

Matrix signs lit up saying Oncoming Car, Keep Left. Called Police and they were on it, but how on earth can you intercept that? Drove on feeling scared and helpless but relieved.

Bit of a random ramble really but spent some time afterwards looking at how hard it is to get onto the wrong sliproad and how to prevent it. This guy we saw must have been trying, I reckon.

Thoughts with driver families.

Cougar

😯 Jesus.

footflaps

I wholeheartedly apologise.

You’ll bring this whole forum into disrepute if you carry on like that!

thecaptain
    Free Member

Regular compulsory re-testing for all would be sensible but politically impossible. Unlike pensioners, most working-age drivers would (a) remember who introduced it and (b) not be dead by the next election!

footflaps

Regular compulsory re-testing for all would be sensible but politically impossible.

I would expect it to fail a basic cost benefit analysis i.e. the lives saved (tiny) verses the cost (huge) would render in non viable (given money is a finite resource with many other potentially life saving things to fund).

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

‘push pull?’ What’s this bloke playing at then?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4CnFWSrEeU 😆

Cougar

(-:

Rally cars are different though, are they not? Full lock is something like 3/4 of a turn IIRC.

thecaptain
    Free Member

footflaps, the cost is about half a tank of petrol, say every 5 years. What life-saving thing do you think the average motorist would be doing with that?

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Rally cars are different though, are they not? Full lock is something like 3/4 of a turn IIRC.

Dunno about that but looking at how much McRea’s moving the wheel I wouldn’t have thought so. A small twitch of the steering wheel would mean a pretty big movement at the front wheels & I’m not sure if that would work very well.

(I is not an expert though, have never driven an actual rally car, but have been driving since my eyesight was ok) 😉

Onzadog
    Free Member

Price it so far hat it pays for itself. There doesn’t need to be a cost. Given how much driving actually costs, I don’t think anyone can say the cost would impinge in people’s freedoms/rights.

piemonster

I would expect it to fail a basic cost benefit analysis i.e. the lives saved (tiny) verses the cost (huge) would render in non viable (given money is a finite resource with many other potentially life saving things to fund).

It’s not just lives saved though is it. If it was workable and led to an improvement in driving then you’d see a reduction in minor and major but non fatal collision.

You might just even save money by having reduced insurance premiums.

Cougar

(I is not an expert though, have never driven an actual rally car, but have been driving since my eyesight was ok)

Nor me, I could be hopelessly wrong.

Cougar

Price it so far hat it pays for itself. There doesn’t need to be a cost.

Could include it in the VED. What’s a test cost, £50? That’s a quid a month for five-year retests, pence for 10 year ones.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 124 total)

The topic ‘Have we done the old fool on the M1 yet?’ is closed to new replies.