• This topic has 29 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Have we done the Kickstarter QR locks yet?
  • giantonagiant

MSP

What a completely pointless idea, if you put locks on your quick release, then it is no longer a quick release. There are plenty of non quick release skewers that make much more sense.

molgrips
    Free Member

ISTR this being done years ago too.

footflaps

You can already buy allen key QRs etc, so nothing really new here.

nickjb
    Free Member

There’s a wide range of security skewers out there that are better IMO but I can sort of see the point that you can lock it for commuting and leave it off for recreational rides. Kind of makes sense if you have only one bike*. Having dissed the brake I’m going say ‘I’m out’ but still wish him good luck.

* This concept won’t make sense to most people here

D0NK

Allen key for a bit of security, security bolts for more security. I guess if you lock your good bike up occasionally and still want to run QRs for MTBing I guess this is an option, limited audience tho imo

Cougar

Failing to see the point, surely it’s far simpler to change the skewer for a secure one.

(And is wheel theft a huge issue?)

atlaz
    Free Member

I’ve used the allen key ones before if I want something semi-secure that can be removed reasonably quickly.

DezB
    Free Member

if you put locks on your quick release, then it is no longer a quick release.

It’s not a quick release when it’s LOCKED UP. You just take them off when you ride, making it ta-da! a quick release again.

I can see the point – allen keys aren’t secure keys.

Not something I need myself, but a good idea.

andyl
    Free Member

Looks heavy and doesn’t look like it will work with shimano internal cam omes

theotherjonv

Does this finally resolve the QR coming undone under braking forces and causing immediate death by firey ball of death fire, that has been keeping me awake ever since I read about it sometime last century?

nickjb
    Free Member

Does this finally resolve the QR coming undone under braking forces and causing immediate death by firey ball of death fire, that has been keeping me awake ever since I read about it sometime last century?

That was solved with shimano quick releases. Unfortunately this doesn’t work with shimano, though.

theotherjonv

Unfortunately this doesn’t work with shimano, though

Isn’t that a substantial design flaw? Making it incompatible with the world’s biggest component manufacturer’s kit, must limit your potential market.

I’m oot.

hypnotoad
    Free Member

Not a bad idea, shame it doesn’t work internal cam skewers tho.

DezB
    Free Member

I think you’re looking for something that isn’t there… it’s just an extra security device for commuters who leave their bikes in public places.
    If you’re worried about getting your wheels nicked, couple of these and a pair of £3 skewers – worry over, the scum will move onto someone elses bike.
    *shrugs*

andyl
    Free Member

Also what about a set of mole grips on the nut side of the QR? With a lot of bikes having aluminium drop outs it’s probably not that hard to really undo a QR with a set of decent grips.

Okay these are to stop quick theft but so doest a normal bolt up skewer or you could try the Pitlock ones.

scotroutes

Dunno if Marin still do those 5-sided “hex” key skewers.

maccruiskeen

Dunno if Marin still do those 5-sided “hex” key skewers.

doesn’t really matter if they’re 6 sided, 5 sided or any other number of sides or the ones with the little security button in the middle – you can undo any of them with a pair of pliers when you lose the key, and I guess that would be same issue with this lock – it would only deter the most casual of theft attempts – someone wanting to take the wheel and having nothing other than their bare hands to take it with.

unovolo
    Free Member

Reckon it would take about 30seconds of enthusiastic sawing with a hacksaw to get through the alloy bit then you could open the quick release as normal.

I’d rather fit some Halo ones that require a alley key to undo which are probably as secure as these to a determined thief.

alpin
    Free Member

bugger if you have a puncture and have lost/forgotten the key…

nice idea, mind. thankfully i don’t live in london…

officerfriendly
    Free Member

I think it’s a brilliant idea! But like everyone said, shame it doesn’t work with shimano skewers..

CountZero

20mm through-axles, problem eradicated. 😉

aracer
    Free Member

Reckon it would take about 30seconds of enthusiastic sawing with a hacksaw

Or a couple of seconds with a decent bolt cropper.

GrahamS

** Minor Resurrection **

Just been looking at these because they cropped up on road.cc
    He’s pretty close to making his Kickstarter target with 9 days to go.

Personally I think they look like a pretty good idea and I could see them selling well enough.

To answer a few of the nay-sayers above:

if you put locks on your quick release, then it is no longer a quick release

You don’t have to ride about with them on. You can just stick them on when you stop.

I’ve used the allen key ones before if I want something semi-secure that can be removed reasonably quickly.

I would have thought that anyone in the business of nicking components off bikes is pretty likely to be carrying a set of allen keys.

There’s a wide range of security skewers out there that are better IMO

Not sure what his retail price is, but you get two locks for a £19 pledge on Kickstarter.

Whereas pitlock security skewers are £36 for a pair.

Looks heavy

51 grams.

what about a set of mole grips on the nut side of the QR? With a lot of bikes having aluminium drop outs it’s probably not that hard to really undo a QR with a set of decent grips.

He (badly) demonstrates that with a video. See the section “Nut removal attempt 1 (the other side)” on Kickstarter.

Not 100% convincing but seems to put up enough of a fight to put off a thief at least.

lemonysam
    Free Member

(And is wheel theft a huge issue?)

I know at least half a dozen people who’ve had their front wheel nicked at some point and most town centres are littered with bikes with the front wheel missing. I’d say it’s enough of an issue to be worth considering

DezB
    Free Member

You don’t have to ride about with them on. You can just stick them on when you stop.

I already said that.

I would have thought that anyone in the business of nicking components off bikes is pretty likely to be carrying a set of allen keys.

And that.

🙂

GrahamS

I was backing you up DezB 😛

konabunny
    Free Member

It’s not a quick release when it’s LOCKED UP. You just take them off when you ride, making it ta-da! a quick release again.

But a bit confusing that the guy describes it as “fit and forget”…

GrahamS

But a bit confusing that the guy describes it as “fit and forget”…

I’d imagine that many consumers would, especially on commuter bikes etc.

But if you really need quick-release (i.e. in a race situation where you’re not leaving your bike and the few extra seconds required to get a key from your pocket could be critical) then obviously you wouldn’t ride with them on.

Or more realistically if you’re just fussy about the look of your bike (i.e. probably most of us) then you’d just attach them along with your other locks when you got to the destination.

DezB
    Free Member

I was backing you up DezB

Makes a nice change 🙂

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Have we done the Kickstarter QR locks yet?’ is closed to new replies.