• This topic has 156 replies, 46 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by irc.
Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 157 total)
  • have we done Stoves: The Environmental Cost?
  • squirrelking
    Free Member

T1000 again, whats your solution?

metalheart
    Free Member

T1000 – Member
    Just cause you used to do something doesn’t make it right, in fact if you now know it’s wrong that makes it worse

I trust you don’t drive a diesel. (Or buy products delivered by diesel powered transport). We now know just how dangerous the fine particulates are….

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

Speaking as an air traffic controller, I’m pretty confident that UK military aviation emissions are a flea on the flank of UK civil aviation emissions.

Is that including all bombs and missiles used?

How about the support infrastructure such as Aircraft Carriers?

What are your thoughts on Depleted Uranium munitions?

Is there any significant difference in localized pollution as a result of low level flying, which is almost exclusively carried out by military aircraft?

I personally think the security of the UK is more important than holidays, but then I guess you don’t think that the military enhances your security.

That is a tricky one… being as we’re told the main domestic threat is terrorism, what caused hatred and radicalization in the 1st instance?

What use are fighter jets in combating domestic terrorism?

Anyhow, back on topic, has anyone tried those tealight heaters made out of earthenware flowerpots?

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oa7ifmHm4U[/video]

ninfan
    Free Member

What use are fighter jets in combating domestic terrorism?

Quite a bit when, for example, a helicopter sends a hijack code out a few miles from nuclear facilities

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-17699357

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

It confirmed that the helicopter pilot had transmitted the wrong signal by mistake.

Yikes…

evidence suggests that stairs, ladders, bathtubs, militant insects and keeping on topic, stoves, have a higher fatality rate than the vast swathes of terrorists whose motivation to come to the UK to kill and maim is still somewhat mysterious… could it have anything to do with fighter jets, bombers and drones?

And what is the best sustainable fuel for a smokeless area?

T1000
    Free Member

Squirrelking don’t poison people, why do you believe it’s ok to?

There are lots of other ways to heat properties than by burning wood in an urban environment
    Stoves are a crappy and inconsiderate way

T1000
    Free Member

Metalhead what a silly comment, how would that be possible in this world?

Any how this thread was about stoves, which are horrible stinky things which pollute urban environments, and are subject to increasing scrutiny. at some point they may well have more stringent controls applied as they get recognised as the new diesel.

metalheart
    Free Member

Metalhead what a silly comment, how would that be possible in this world?

Of course its not possible, however we all know its wrong. Why do you get to be wrong but not allow others to be?

All forms of heating have incidental pollutants (somewhere down the line).

With the storage required for fuel for stoves I doubt it’ll become as serious a hazard as diesel/petrol fumes.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Wow stoves the new diesel.

Thats a corker.

Meanwhile i burn kerosene for my central heating – is tht better or worse than wood in your eyes – i dont have mains gas near by.

Edukator
    Free Member

Go on T1000, what car do you drive and how much do you use it, what does your partner drive (if you have one)? We’ve got a Lodgy TCE petrol between three of us which has done 14597km in 2 1/2 years at 5.8l/100km.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Squirrelking don’t poison people, why do you believe it’s ok to?

There are lots of other ways to heat properties than by burning wood in an urban environment
    Stoves are a crappy and inconsiderate way

1) where did I claim any such thing? Have you actually read anything I have written up to this point?

2) yes there are plenty of other ways but despite being asked twice you seem reluctant to furnish us with your knowledge of sustainable alternatives. (The key word here being sustainable which, as pointed out, does not necessarily equate to being emissions free). I look forward to your answers.

trail_rat
    Free Member

so T1000 is happy because he cant see longgannet from his living room window.

squirrelking
    Free Member

That pretty much sums up my thoughts.

Of course there are plenty of better alternatives for an urban environment but I dont think any will be forthcoming.

Edukator
    Free Member

His posting history tells us T1000 is a high mileage car user. Current vehicle seems to be a diesel Sharan

Previous vehicles include

Golf diesel
    Nissan X-trail diesel – 190k
    a Renault
    various French
    a couple of MK1 Golfs

molgrips
    Free Member

at some point they may well have more stringent controls applied

They already do, have had since the 50s surely?

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

That, as suggested, they could be used in place of central heating or in tandem. With modern under floor systems a Rayburn or such could warm the whole house using low grade heat

Have you used such a system (a range with wet central heating hung off a backboiler)?

They’re a huge pain to operate, with a very large scope for user error.

squirrelking
    Free Member

No, it was just a suggestion of one way their efficiency could be greatly improved.

trail_rat
    Free Member

No, it was just a suggestion of one way their efficiency could be greatly decreased.

i considered what you suggest – albe it via a backboiler stove.

How ever – as someone who has a job and leaves the house in the morning and returns at night – and then lights the stove.

It would mean i had to heat the waterjacket and the whole heating system before i got much heat into the room.

Edukators solution would be the best if i had room – but i dont.

So ive stuck with having an eco fan blowing the warm air around the house and so long as you dont shut the doors the house gets warm quickly.

different if you work from home and can keep the fire stoked and the system hot through winter like my grandparents used to do…..

molgrips
    Free Member

I wonder if blown air heating would work well with a wood stove? Anyone tried this?

trail_rat
    Free Member

theres a slight issue in that you need intumescent vents at each exit point of the room with the appliance.

I was tempted by this as our bedrooms are directly above the room with the stove – how ever building regs (and common sense when you think about it) prohibit just simply opening a hole and sticking a vent grille on it.

philjunior
    Free Member

Baldysquirt – Member
    Don’t think this has been mentioned:

Biomass – a burning issue
    That’s an interesting link, Baldysquirt, but what I really got from it is that the stuff we burn should be post consumer waste rather than virgin timber where possible. This would then at the very least alter the assumptions if a portion of the wood is non-virgin, or possibly completely change them if all could be from waste wood (it probably couldn’t, I concede)

squirrelking
    Free Member

Aye Im on the ipad so cant be arsed writing proper replies, I did mean a back boiler on the stove (like a rayburn) in tandem with your regular CH. I suppose that would address the water jacket issue but my daughter needa a wee so Icant say much else now

bone_idle
    Free Member

Well according to the documentary I just watched 51% of greenhouse emissions are from farming animals and its by products so you may do better cutting back on meat and dairy if you want do you bit for the planet.

I only just became aware the programs called Cowspiracy its on Netflix it also has a website

Just saying

metalheart
    Free Member

what I really got from it is that the stuff we burn should be post consumer waste rather than virgin timber where possible.

the problem with that is all the shit they put into timber (think pressure treated for example). that’d be going straight up the chimney… funnily enough building control don’t like that.

also you need to think of what ends up on the ash. I was on a course where they were talking about short rotation fuel crops, how willow was good for draining and remediation but that it sucked up heavy metals if present. you put that (ash) on your veg patch and all of a sudden it’s just hit the food chain…

squirrelking
    Free Member

Bone idle, what they probably conveniently forgot to mention was that cereal crops and veg have their own sustainability issues, usually tied to the fertilisers which are quite energy intensive to produce plus harvesting and such.

Post consumer waste is also a red herring as it discourages re-use and reduction in the first place

bone_idle
    Free Member

Well im no expert but i was quite shocked by how damaging beef production is, It uses shit loads of water and is the main driver for deforestation, its not going to improve now the Chinese are getting a taste for the same foods we all consume. Anyhow i still went out and bought Aberdeen angus meatballs, maybe chickpeas tomorrow.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Aberdeen angus, as the name suggests, hasn’t been produced anywhere near a rainforest. Nor are they particularly short if water up that neck of the woods. But yes, industrial farming is a very resource intensive industry.

trail_rat
    Free Member

aberdeen angus is not where its made, aberdeen angus is a breed.

metalheart
    Free Member

industrial farming is a very resource intensive industry.

Have you seen the shit they produce? 😯

trail_rat
    Free Member

tbh industrial farming ANYTHING from meat to turnips is resource intensive.

Edukator
    Free Member

When I worked for Welsh Water all the pollution incidents leading to major fish kills were caused by farm slurry. Smaller fish kills resulted from milk spills, mine effluent, sewage overflows, chemical spills. Long term depletion of fish stocks in some rivers was due to conifer afforestation, acid rain, historic mining, hydro schemes, total organic pollutant load due to the combination of agriculture, food industry and sewage.

molgrips
    Free Member

Well im no expert but i was quite shocked by how damaging beef production is

There seems to be a significant difference between intensive factory farmed beef and outdoor reared grass fed beef – isn’t there?

Edukator
    Free Member

Yes, Molgrips. I have no qualms about eating Blondes d’Aquitaine which are grazed on high pastures in Summer and fed Summer hay from the low pastures in Winter.

squirrelking
    Free Member

My bad,I thought the Aberdeen part was one of those protected names like Arbroath Smokies and such and the breed was plain Angus, thought I remembered some case hinging around this a few years ago, obviously not.

Not doing well lately am I?

TooTall
    Free Member

I wonder if blown air heating would work well with a wood stove? Anyone tried this?

I’m in the process of installing a stove in my ducted air (AC summer / hot air winter) so I’ll let you know. I will say that blown air heating is awful compared to radiant heating, but ‘murica says this is the way.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

I did mean a back boiler on the stove (like a rayburn) in tandem with your regular CH.

It’s certainly possible, but expensive, to link up regular gas CH with a stove/range/etc.

Pellet or chip boilers seem to be about the best all round answer, but (as usual for solid fuel systems) they’re damn expensive to fit. However you do get to drop the gas boiler from the system.

molgrips
    Free Member

I will say that blown air heating is awful compared to radiant heating, but ‘murica says this is the way.

Yeah no-one gives a shit in the US. They have houses with two layers of wood and no insulation in places where it can be -30C in winter, and they just crank up the heating. In my in-laws house, which does have insulation (all 4cm of it) you can feel the temperature gradient; you can stand in a room and the side of you near the radiator is hot, and the side near the wall is cold.

T1000
    Free Member

Sigh Edukators activities seem to indicate he’s a creepy stalker

Btw my home is heated and mostly powered by a gas fired micro chip + I have 4 kids which will not fit into any shonky Renault derived death trap

+ my primary commute is bike train bike

T1000
    Free Member

Trail rat how wrong you are, I used to work for a power generator so have no problems with large generating or industrial sites, a least they have the potential to deal with the pollution they produce

Burning wood in the urban environment is polluting

trail_rat
    Free Member

And burning wood in a non urban enviroment polutes less how ?

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 157 total)

The topic ‘have we done Stoves: The Environmental Cost?’ is closed to new replies.