Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 88 total)
  • Have we done – School marked down by Ofsted for being 'too white'.
  • bigyinn
    Free Member

Telegraph link
    REALLY?

It seems a bit extreme where multiculturalism in that part of the world would be just welcoming someone from a neighbouring village.

Perhaps they should ship in loads of people from other parts of the world up up their multiculturalism quotient?
    Or perhaps leave it the hell alone, because a schools racial demographic will usually reflect the towns racial demographic?

wilko1999
    Free Member

That or they could paint some of the kids up like the Black and White Minstrels on the day the Ofsted inspector comes round

Lifer
    Free Member

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    kimbers

its PC gone maaaaaaaaaaad I tell ya

bigyinn
    Free Member

kimbers – Member

its PC gone maaaaaaaaaaad I tell ya

I think that is actually quoted in the article!

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Ofsted have a point if you accept that cultural education is a criteria that should be considered. Just why I believe that many public schools and some grammar schools are also hampered. As someone who went to a overwhelmingly white British secondary school from age 11-16 and then a very diverse inner city school for 6th form I did appreciate the opportunity for greater cultural understanding.

Lifer
    Free Member

bigyinn – Member

“kimbers – Member

its PC gone maaaaaaaaaaad I tell ya”

I think that is actually quoted in the article!

As is the bit were they say it was marked down for a number of reasons.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I’ve used up my free article allowance this month so can’t comment on it specifically. I wonder who contacted the Telegraph though

midlifecrashes

What’s this free article allowance? No paywall at the Telegraph.

kcr
    Free Member

If you read the story, the school’s rating has actually improved since the last inspection, so it has not been downgraded at all. Better awareness of multicultural issues is just one of several areas where the inspectors reported they could make further improvements.
    Non story given a xenophobic spin by the Torygraph.

I think the Telegraph is lucky that the inspectors are not visiting them to assess their editing:

after failing to other invite faith leaders

back or Asian pupils

martinhutch

The school is now attempting to strike up a partnership with an inner city school to address the concerns.
    Melonie Brunton, the head teacher, said school trips usually involved visits to the countryside, taking in farms and zoos, but it had recently focused on outings to a mosque and factory.

Storm/teacup etc.

Head seems like a bit of a fruit, though.

konabunny
    Free Member

It’s amazing that the telegraph had anyone to write the story, seeing as Private Eye says it’s fired all its hacks.

wilko1999
    Free Member

Actually the report isn’t saying the school should have more pupils from an ethnically diverse background (or whatever PC phrase I should be using). It’s saying that because the majority are white British that the school should create opportunities for the white British kids to interact with kids from other backgrounds. Sensational newspaper reporting designed to raise hackles.

olddog

There was an interview with the head teacher on R5 this morning. She wasn’t particularly happy with the media reporting – she had been misquoted and the story misrepresented by the local paper. Subsequently picked up by national media.

The school was happy to have been uprated to good by offsted and had 3 areas for improvement or which diversity was one. The head teacher did say it was difficult to get direct experience given the school was in rural Lincs and that it would take a lot work though.

So yes – stormy teacup, exaggeration and a local paper pushing a story to get more exposure.

binners

Perhaps they could start their fascinating insight into alternative cultures and philosophies with an exchange programme to a school in Syria?

kimbers

telegraph ‘reporting’ the perfect ukkiper freindly, mostly made up, story just b4 the latest byelection, what a surprise

its a shame that the telegraph is such a joke, they can sometimes be a real paper mostly its just silly

Im doing an evening class at the moment and one of the students works at the telegraph and shes upset at how they are just chasing the mail online business model of made up sensationalist nonsense

badnewz
    Free Member

Ofsted is a disastrous organisation run by left-wing bullyboy and bullygirl educationalists. They are participating in the Marxist Adorno’s long march through the institutions. This is an admittedly subtle example of the diversity agenda which the left wants to enforce on the country at large to undermine traditional values.

olddog

.. ps great day to break the story – Rochester and Strood by-election anyone…

Junkyard
    Free Member

Wow right wing PC gone mad multiculturalism dig from the Torygraph that is factually incorrect, misleading and made up…who would have expected this from the broadsheet Daily Mail?

DezB
    Free Member

Melonie Brunton, the head teacher, said school trips usually involved visits to the countryside, taking in farms and zoos, but it had recently focused on outings to a mosque and factory.

This made me laugh. I wonder which visits benefit the CHILDREN most. I guess it’s not really about them though.

kimbers

which one dezb? youll have to explain

binners

Ofsted is a disastrous organisation run by left-wing bullyboy and bullygirl educationalists. They are participating in the Marxist Adorno’s long march through the institutions. This is an admittedly subtle example of the diversity agenda which the left wants to enforce on the country at large to undermine traditional values.

You are Peter Hitchins, and I claim my free ration book from the good old days 😀

Sui
    Free Member

British that the school should create opportunities for the white British kids to interact with kids from other backgrounds

why? i see little point in going out of the way to indulge in an ofsted request that will have little to no effect on the childrens later lives.. Concentrate on proper and tangible education where skills learning is priority, not the “you didn’t mix it with the other cultures, therefore your worth less” brigade. It’s PC bollix The race and culture card should never have been played in this, that doesn’t happen with inner city schools, or does it because I can hear them now saying, “we must go visit some country white honkys man, so that we can say we mixed it wiv the yokels” – no, they go to a farm, that because it’s a farm its rural, because it’s rural the demographic is predominantly white.

kimbers

sui you are right, they should never leave the village, keep it a local place for local people

wilko1999
    Free Member

For the record Sui as I’m not sure if you think that is my opinion, I was just pointing out the Ofsted report had been misquoted. I wasn’t offering an opinion 🙂

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Have a word with Nige – there’s a bye-election don’t you know!!!

badnewz
    Free Member

You are Peter Hitchins

There’s only one Peter Hitchins! One Peter Hiiiiiiiiitttccheeens!

DezB
    Free Member

kimbers – Member
    which one dezb? youll have to explain

Really? Reading the article will give you some clues.

badnewz
    Free Member

The Telegraph is becoming more Daily Mail insofar as it features lots of celebrity trash, but it’s actually anti-UKIP. It’s got pro-Cameron editors and they’ve sacked UKIP sympathisers like James Delingpole and Ed West. All the new pen-pushers are writing anti-UKIP articles.

jambalaya
    Free Member

What’s this free article allowance? No paywall at the Telegraph.

@midlife – 20 free articles a month then you have to subscribe. I could have looked the story up on my phone/tablet but I couldn’t be bothered.

RustySpanner

bigyinn – Member
    Or perhaps leave it the hell alone, because a schools racial demographic will usually reflect the towns racial demographic?

Not in much of Oldham, or Burnley.
    Apathy and small mindedness on all sides and you get unhealthy levels of segregation.
    Schools and housing.

I think a bit of sensible imposed integration would benefit everyone and inconvenience no-one.

martinhutch

@midlife – 20 free articles a month then you have to subscribe. I could have looked the story up on my phone/tablet but I couldn’t be bothered.

If you are using Chrome, you can right click and open in incognito window, which has the added advantage of not letting anyone know you are reading the Telegraph.

Sui
    Free Member

kimbers i do believe sir you’ve misrepresented what i said.. I remarked that where the school head has said we must go to other “cultural centers (we can read Mosques if you like)” i’ve said bollix, go to a foundry, a factory, a tech firm, Hospital etc – i couldn’t give a toss where that happens to be, but don’t presume that it MUST be inner city and employ largely non-whites…

midlifecrashes

i see little point in going out of the way to indulge in an ofsted request that will have little to no effect on the childrens later lives

Unfortunately it’s not quite so simple in real life. If Ofsted mark you down, putting you in special measures especially, it can effect the school immediately and for several years ahead.

Firstly, you have to get outside assistance from consultants to fix the problems, regardless of whether you had already identified these yourselves and had put plans in place. The consultants cost quite a lot of money.

Secondly there is usually a ban on recruiting newly qualified teachers. Since teachers are given a salary increase just for sticking around, more experienced ones are more expensive, regardless of the quality. Good teachers usually make schools happy and rewarding places to be, and they are often reluctant to move to schools in special measures.

Thirdly, but less important these days with rising birthrates and immigration, you could lose pupils to other schools, with parents rightly not wanting to send their children to a school deemed to be failing. Schools get a lump sum and a per child payment, but don’t get much cheaper to run with 23 in a class instead of 30.

Having said all that, I still believe Ofsted are great in principle, we definitely need external quality assurance for our schools.

midlifecrashes

Re: Telegraph subsrcription. I use Firefox, but have it set to delete cookies after every session, so I must look fresh to them every day.

MoreCashThanDash

Ah, school days in Lincolnshire. When all music lessons involved banjos… 😉

binners

High six?

anagallis_arvensis

Actually the report isn’t saying the school should have more pupils from an ethnically diverse background (or whatever PC phrase I should be using). It’s saying that because the majority are white British that the school should create opportunities for the white British kids to interact with kids from other backgrounds. Sensational newspaper reporting designed to raise hackles get the usdual idiots on STW frothing.

Junkyard
    Free Member

i see little point in going out of the way to indulge in an ofsted request that will have little to no effect on the childrens later lives.

You dont think there is anything to be gained from them being removed from their insular world and able to see what it is like elsewhere? Whilst there they will interact with people from different faiths and backgrounds. This is not a useful life skill?
    Next you will be telling us inner city kids have nothing to gain from going to the countryside and walking in the lakes, going climbing and scrambling.
    Education involved all children experiencing the rich tapestry and diversity of life in the UK

MoreCashThanDash

The problem here isn’t the Ofsted report, when you actually read the findings. It isn’t the school, which is improving and addressing the issues raised in the report.

It’s with sensationalist and lazy reporters who are intent on whipping up the “headline only” readers who see this and then figure that UKIP will fix it.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 88 total)

The topic ‘Have we done – School marked down by Ofsted for being 'too white'.’ is closed to new replies.