Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Have we done Sarah Beeny yet?
  • Harry_the_Spider

Talk about big job!

For those who want to know how it all pans out http://www.risehall.com/

bravohotel9er
    Free Member

Christ, first Katy Perry…now this!

bruneep

Good on her for saving that property, I do think she’s going against all the advice she gives to other punters on her other shows.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Shan’t be watching that.

The idea of her helping out people devoid of skills and reasoning was one thing but the idea of a show dedicated to showing her, renovating her property for her profit is another thing entirely. The same goes for the show Kirsty Allsop did on a more modest scale last year.

GrahamS

Quite an interesting show, but slightly ruined by the editorial continually summarising & repeating the same thing over and over again for the hard of thinking. (see http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/tv-shows-that-are-just-annoying )

Good to see her getting as wrapped up in impossible budgets and schedules as the folk on Property Ladder.

..the idea of a show dedicated to showing her, renovating her property for her profit is another thing entirely

Odd sentiment.

She bought a derelict Georgian mansion on the verge of complete collapse, against her own better judgement and going against all her own advice, because it was where she was proposed to and got married. She is using local tradespeople, demonstrating their skills and talking about the various problems that anyone might face in a house (dry rot, sash windows, roofing, etc).

I see nothing objectionable in that, but then I quite like “Kirsty’s Home House” too.

teef
    Free Member

This woman is just a self publicist and should have disappeared from view by now. She’s lost her looks and her time in the limelight should have passed by now. The whole show will no doubt be a phoney drama with false crisis following false crisis. It’ll all come good in the end probably paid for with the profits on the TV show.

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

I doubt she’ll be getting anywhere near the cost of renovation from the tv money.

I did notice that they’re getting an awful lot of stuff from B&Poo, who coincidentally sponsor the show. I don’t know any tradesmen that use B&Poo by choice for anything

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

I agree totally with GrahamS though about the stupidly annoying recaps every ad break and at the start of the program. It’s like they have to stuff this crap in to pad out the time slot

IanMunro
    Free Member

I totally agree with Teef, but I only watched the trailers, so accept I may be wrong 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

teef – Member
    She’s lost her looks and her time in the limelight should have passed by now.

WTF have her looks got to do with anything?

ivantate
    Free Member

err….eye candy makes TV worth watching. You really arent going to learn a great deal of anything from primetime TV.

Seemed entertaining enough and although she is going against all her own advice I am sure there was a plan B/exit strategy.

Anyone know how much land came with it for the £475k purchase price?

teef
    Free Member

WTF have her looks got to do with anything?

You don’t get too many plain people on TV.

Harry_the_Spider

Anyone know how much land came with it for the £475k purchase price?

30 acres IIRC

flyingmonkeycorps

Just across the road from my old man’s organic walled garden. Just so’s you know!

bruneep

You don’t get too many plain people on TV.

I take it you are not aware of the Jeremy Kyle show then?

wwaswas

re: the looks comments – they really illustrate what’s bad about STW.

Like the apprentice any discussion of the merits of a program (which I thought this Beeny program did have) just degenrate into a debate about any woman in it.

All a bit sad and predictable, really, it’s not like there’s even any humour in it just;

“I would”

“Well, I wouldn’t”

and repeat.

🙁

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Maybe my stance is odd. But I don’t like anything that focuses on trumpet blowing or self promotion, I find it all a bit me, me , me and I just don’t like that in a person whether in reality or on TV.

I have no issue with saving an old building and the use of local trades is to be applauded but then i do think that she and her production company know how to play the game pretty well.

Although I am falling into the against camp I want to distance myself from the teef’s comments. I would like to think that eventually we can move away from the idea that female presenters all have to be young and attractive. That’s the sort of attitude that lumbers us with Tess Daly!

Harry_the_Spider

She bought the place 10 years ago before she found fame on TV so I guess that her building/property business was already turning a few quid.

Good luck to her. I think that she can come over as being a bit bossy but you don’t get to do what she has done without having a bit of bite about you.

Regarding this project I didn’t have the patience to wait for the final episode to see the outcome hence the link in the OP. However (look away if you want to avoid a spoiler) she wouldn’t have made if it she thought that it would screw up would she?

Obviously the first episode was cut to make the place look extra ruined but it still looked like an immense undertaking.

I just wish that somebody could do the same to this.

which is currently crumbling into the ground near where I live.

This fine old house was pulled down 40 odd years ago because the council couldn’t afford to maintain it. However, the space that it left does make an excellent HQ for a certain winter bike race. 😉

GrahamS

teef – Member
    She’s lost her looks and her time in the limelight should have passed by now.

What a horrible, sexist thing to say!

Personally I still think she looks very yummy, despite that in this show she has just had her fourth baby and is dog-tired from running backwards and forwards from London to manage the project.

But that’s beside the point. I don’t watch property shows so I can rub out a quick one after dinner!

hillsplease

Good on her for bothering.

Most of the things that folk talk about are heart overcoming mind eg Ti v steel, XTR v SLX etc.

I think someone with a lot of money doing something without pecuniary return is a good thing. Chapeau!

Albeit at 35 acres there will be some cunning plan involving commercial development I’ve no doubt.

cynic-al
    Free Member

“I think someone with a lot of money doing something without pecuniary return is a good thing . Chapeau !”

dream on! bound to make her money in the long run!

teef people like you are responsible for dumbing down of tv. Thanks a lot.

spokebloke
    Free Member

I thought she came over well.
    I liked the name of her co-production company too.
    Knockers Productions Ltd. Classy.

yoshimi

Harry – is that on Pinhole Lane, Whitefield?

teef
    Free Member

teef people like you are responsible for dumbing down of tv. Thanks a lot.

I think people like Sarah Beeny are responsible for the dumbing down of TV

Harry_the_Spider

Harry – is that on Pinhole Lane, Whitefield?

Yep. Whitefield town hall. Somebody saved Prestwich town hall and turned it into some rather swanky apartments.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

I don’t mind Beeny, women of a certain age have something about them.

That last series on C4 or 5 pissed me off though, as nearly eveyone had bought a money pit house without getting a survey done. Shouldn’t have been called “Help, my house is falling down”, it should have been “Help, I’m thick enough to have tried to save money by not having a survey & now I regret it”.

organic355
    Free Member

Have we done Sarah Beeny yet?

Somebody has, several times, she always seems to be up the duff.

iain1775
    Free Member

Have we done Sarah Beeny yet?

No, but someone has 4 times at least!!
    Either that or she has a beer belly to be envious of!

Midnighthour
    Free Member

I find it sad how some men on this forum see women as nothing but ‘sex and image’ with no other value, even as human beings.

Maybe such men are vacuous themselves, an outside visible shell with no inner content at all, so they assume everyone else is as shallow and empty, because depth of personality or skill is so alien to them they cannot conceive of it existing in anyone else.

BBC is in an industrial tribunal at the moment for sacking older women (Country File) in a sexist and ageist manner while retaining old men in their 60’s/70’s. It is why we only see pretty young women on TV, because its a TV culture of ‘old men are good, women over 35 are a waste of space’ that TV execs are too indoctrinated to step free of, as it is counter to their work environment ethic – Even though the public employing them are complaining about this unacceptable attitude.

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

BBC is in an industrial tribunal at the moment for sacking older women (Country File)

Shame, I quite liked that Julia Bradbury, no spring chicken though it must be said

SiB
    Free Member

..who was the other female presenter, going back a few years now, that was always pregnant? From what I can remember she was tall and slim with a posh accent and presented ‘housey’ programmes.

nickf
    Free Member

SiB – not Carol Smillie, surely?

fatmax

I still would…

jools182
    Free Member

not a bad program, but the Stephen Tompkinson who does the voice over gets right on my thre’pennies

why does he have to talk at you like you are 5 years old?

chakaping
    Free Member

I think that she can come over as being a bit bossy

Yes, and I think that’s part of the appeal for some.

😉

On another note – I’m a modern progressive guy and I hate the Nuts/Zoo axis of **** (copyright Charlie Brooker), but some of you need to lighten up a bit.

Men enjoy talking about what women look like whether they “would” or not. It’s hardly the same as keeping them locked in the cellar.

IanMunro
    Free Member

BBC is in an industrial tribunal at the moment for sacking older women (Country File) in a sexist and ageist manner while retaining old men in their 60’s/70’s

She is accusing another women though..
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010/nov/10/miriam-oreilly-jay-hunt-countryfile

MrNutt
    Free Member

erm, yep, she wasn’t as dirty as I’d hoped, she had strange whispy hairs all over her breasts and listening to Tago-Mago on repeat during the entire proceedings gave the marigold gloves and the whole sorry affair a kind of strange avant garde feeling.

I’d do it again though.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Midnighthour – Member
    I find it sad how some men on this forum see women as nothing but ‘sex and image’ with no other value, even as human beings.

I appreciate your sentiment but I think you’ve read a bit much into a few posts.

MrNutt
    Free Member

Midnighthour – Member

Dry your tears, we think the same of Cynic-al too.

cynic-al
    Free Member

You should try taking stuff a little less seriously & have a look at your prejudices.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Have we done Sarah Beeny yet?’ is closed to new replies.