Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Have we done SAB Classico yet?
  • neilnevill
    Free Member

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/CBSABCLRIV2/sab_classico_sram_rival_aluminium_road_bike

My brother is thinking of getting his first road bike and first new bike in… Errrr…20 years and had asked me forideas. He hadn’t set a budget despite me asking but I think he is nervous of spending more than a grand… But might possibly stretch to high hundreds OK.

Looked At Ribble, giant defy and p-x and the SAB looks a fair deal. Has the hive mind got any views?

hora
    Free Member

That looks like it should be 599 to me

cp

you what hora? how the chuff does that come anywhere close to a 600 quid bike?

hora
    Free Member

No I said I’d pay 599 for that. Better out there and at 800 you are only 200 off a better bike(s). For me, its not ‘that’ good. At 600 I’d grab it/bargain! Etc.

FuzzyWuzzy

Personally I’d prefer one of the numerous £700 with current Tiagra bikes out there than that

shermer75
    Free Member

I bought a Trek 1.2 earlier this year for £700 on really, really love it…

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

I used to have a bike with the same front tubing and seat stays, but alloy chain stays. It rode pretty well and climbed pretty solidly. That fork is pretty good too.
    It’s strange that you can only get it with an 11-32.. Don’t let him start riding with those gears, or he’ll never man up to the task..

marsdenman
    Free Member

@neilnevill – went to PX to throw a leg over the SAB – same position as you brother – looking at my first road bike in over 20 years <cough>. Anyways, thought the bike looked well, just was not ‘the one’ for me.
    If he is seriously looking at it though, and you’re ok with a diy build, they are doing the
    frame only for £99 and SAB alu fork £49 = could be a nice base to start from?

neilnevill
    Free Member

My view is it’s well speced at the price, SRAM rival/ Shimano 105 doesn’t normally appear until you get to 1k bikes. Wheels and finishing kit are nothing much but should do a job, again looking at 1k bikes there is hardly any difference here. The frame is the massive unknown. However it has a carbon fork and full carbon rear triangle so the ride hopefully won’t be to painful.
    My guess is he won’t ride it loads and loads. It’ll be a mix of short evening blasts and occasional longer rides in the Essex county side ( so largely flat) no rides over 50 ish miles. So my logic is a decent group set and an okay frame is more likely to lead to enjoyment than a better frame with a worse group, plus a worse group will die quicker. Although I’m yet to see a’ better frame’ at that price anyway.

11-32! Hadn’t noticed that. That will come off for my MTB spares bin then… He will get 11-23 and a dose of MTFU juice in his water bottle!

mrmo
    Free Member

important things, do you like the look of it? does it fit? can you afford it?

answer yes to all three, go for it.

No point getting a bike that doesn’t fit or that you would hate to be seen riding. People get to hung up on the details, it is a bike, the rider is what makes it go.

I wouldn’t buy Sram, but that is just me.

brant
    Free Member

My guess is he won’t ride it loads and loads. It’ll be a mix of short evening blasts and occasional longer rides in the Essex county side ( so largely flat) no rides over 50 ish miles. So my logic is a decent group set and an okay frame is more likely to lead to enjoyment than a better frame with a worse group, plus a worse group will die quicker. Although I’m yet to see a’ better frame’ at that price anyway.

Our head mechanic and former top UK Pro Rider Mark Lovatt has been riding one. A few weeks ago he got 7th overall and 2nd road bike in the Buxton Mountain TT (“Bike was spot on, I wasn’t”). He did put his carbon wheels in it, but… He’s also had a 5th in a road race on it, and even done the Liege Bastogne Liege on it – that’s 170+ miles.

Just saying.

neilnevill
    Free Member

I’d prefer 105 myself, SRAM double tap seems odd to me, but I reckon SRAM rival is better than Shimano tiara , which is the choice at the price.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Thanks Brant. Personally I ride a nano light (and EG and Ti456….i see a trend) and have tried putting him towards the rt57 but I think the extra cost is too much for him. My thinking was the sportif geo of the rt would be more comfy for a….err… middle aged man that isn’t super fit IF he seems our enough to spend a while on the bike. However I think for the shorter rides he will do… Head down and bum up on some race geo will be okay 👿
    Serially though, what is the Sab geo like?

brant
    Free Member

Classico isn’t superlong or super low. It’s not a bad set of numbers at all. With a flipped stem he’ll be super fine on there.

RT58 is the best Sportive model we have right now, but that’s another price point level entirely.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Have we done SAB Classico yet?’ is closed to new replies.