• This topic has 62 replies, 43 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by timba.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • Have we done RSPCA being twunts yet?
  • irc

There is no reason the RSPCA should be both a campaigning charity and a prosecutor.

http://www.countryside-alliance.org/ca/campaigns-hunting/our-submission-to-the-rspca-prosecutions-review

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

RSPCA put down suffering mangy cat?

“told the Daily Mail”

My sympathy waned.

crankboy
    Free Member

The RSPCA are really really bad in my opinion )on reflection I have deleted a huge chunk of my professional experience of them)
    Their was also the recent concern one of their experts was seizing healthy horses and the horses were then being passed on to RSPCA donors .
    Not a charity I would ever donate to.

the-muffin-man

We were executers to a neighbours will (single old lady, no family), and the RSPCA were one of the charities she left money to. They were the rudest, least patient and most money grabbing group of people we’ve ever had to deal with. There was no element of sympathy in their dealings they just wanted their share fast and to the last penny.

Even the solicitor dealing with the will couldn’t believe how many questions they raised to get their percentage, questioning every penny spent on funeral and clearing out costs.

I’d never give them anything ever again.

midlifecrashes

They’ve been twunts for years I’m afraid. We once went to rehome a border collie to give our existing border a bit of company. They told us flat out there was no point applying as they didn’t rehome pets to our area on the cheap side of town. Fortunately I persuaded them otherwise when they saw our obedience and agility prize winning dog waiting in the car to have a run together with the RSPCA dog.

cranberry
    Free Member

They are utter shits – as a family we have seen them fail to be interested in animal welfare and try to take someone’s home from them.

I wouldn’t piss in their collection tin.

Stoner
    Free Member

no love for them here. Theyve gone from a much needed welfare organisation many years ago to a politically screwball “animal rights” organisation and really lost the plot.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I am immensely glad to see that others are coming round to this way of thinking. Bunch of Grade A shits.

winston
    Free Member

Plus one for stoner and flashheart and I’m also glad people are beginning to wake up to this

Unfortunately it seems the RSPB and even amazingly (and I can’t believe I’m typing this) the RNLI are going the same way too

racefaceec90

money and power gone to their heads by the sound of it.

they do sound like a huge bunch of arses tbh.

woody21
    Free Member

I agree with Cranberry, reported cruelty to dog – never heard a thing from them

neilforrow

I honestly thought that they were a respectable charity. I have never had to deal with them, and given the comments above I’d think twice. Why the polarised views?

mikey74
    Free Member

Hmmmmm!! The RSPCA performed very badly here. I have no experience of them in action so I can’t comment from personal experience. However, this does raise the ethical question of keeping pets alive beyond what is good for the pet.

When it gets to the point where an unhealthy pet is suffering unnecessarily, it should be let go, regardless of how important it is to the owners. Now that I am speaking from experience.

MoreCashThanDash

Used to donate to them believing that they were interested in animal welfare.

Soon became apparent that they are a financially motivated, politically minded, urban focused animal rights organisation.

The phone call when I cancelled their direct debit was a hoot!

Agree that the RSPB are on the edge of the same slippery slope. Happy to support the RNLI still, criminal that their work is not government funded.

scandal42
    Free Member

I have to listen to my partners weekly horror stories regarding these useless responsibility shirkers.

The things they turn a blind eye to makes me think they are purely a money making machine with the odd bit of compulsory animal care thinly veiled as their main concern.

Its a shame really as there is undoubtedly a requirement for genuinely effective policing of animal related twattery in this country.

hora
    Free Member

I wouldnt go near them. Pdsa yes but the rspca seem to be revenue/exposure angled.

winston
    Free Member

MCTD – I think you would be surprised where the RNLI are focusing their efforts these days – and how much clout they have in certain areas. I say this as an avid sea sailor and kayaker who has supported the institution for decades and has family members as volunteer lifeboat crew

Stoner
    Free Member

perhaps its indicative of the charity commission not standing up to their role to policy the third sector effectively.

The politicisation of charities is the quickest route to their irrelevance

gobuchul
    Free Member

the RNLI are going the same way too

The RNLI are a funny one.

I have been told first hand by fishermen, who used to be the vast majority of the crews, that they left as the RNLI preferred to use “ordinary” people as crew, as the publicity of a school teacher/hairdresser/barmen rescuing someone gave much better publicity than some hardened “old sea dog” doing it.

They also have massive revenue and seem to have money to burn.

I still give money and they also build some fantastic boats.

MoreCashThanDash

Mind you, everyone I know working in child protection hates the NSPCC with a passion, seems to be a theme emerging….

Cougar

For balance,

I can’t comment on them as an organisation, at an enterprise level they may be a shower, but if there are problems at the top then it doesn’t reflect at the bottom IME. I’ve worked in a few branches (they’re one of our customers at work) and without exception every single person I’ve met has been professional, lovely, and utterly dedicated to animal welfare above and beyond the call of duty.

cranberry
    Free Member

Why the polarised views?

Twice my father had reason to report animal cruelty to the RSPCA, in both incidents it was people staying in a travellers camp near their office. In the first incident a horse was being punched and kicked. My dad was informed over the phone that “gypsies do not abuse their animals” and that the RSPCA would not investigate, no matter what. In the second incident a horse was on a tether next to a dual carriageway – the tether was long enough to allow the horse to walk over to the central reservation. My dad reported this as if a car/truck had hit the tether the horse would have lost its head. The RSPCA told the horse’s owner who had reported the matter and my dad was threatened with having his business firebombed.

Furthermore, this was pretty local to me.

hora
    Free Member

I found a large African Parrott in a area full of cats. Rang them- call the RSPB’ why? Cos its nowt to do with us.

****. RSPB dont offer the same service- they do conservation.

Same again – Swans nest on Manchester canal path. Right in the middle of it. Nope/sorry two days later it was in the manchester evening news- Staff killed nesting swan.

Ditto a Westie wandering. I rang em- not us/call the stray dogs.

Fine. I can see all they do is rspca vet centres and cherry pick prosecutions.

enfht
    Free Member

I once drove over the Dartford crossing behind an RSPCA van watching the driver throw kittens out the window.

This may not have really happened.

tomhoward

I once drove over the Dartford crossing behind an RSPCA van watching the driver throw kittens out the window.

How did you think we managed to have so many wheel size threads?

hora
    Free Member

**** kitten-sized holes in my windscreen

Stoner
    Free Member

Dartford

sure it wasnt Catford?

winston
    Free Member

You were throwing cats in a ford? You animal, I’ve a good mind to call the RSPCNLI

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

You were throwing cats in a ford?

No, it was from a Ford.

rene59
    Free Member

The RSPCA is an English and Welsh only charity, wish more people in Scotland knew that as they advertise and receive donations from here much to the annoyance of the SSPCA.

I once read that the RNLI was the most effective fundraiser of all charities, and were so efficient at collections they had enough in reserve to survive for over a decade.

Lifer
    Free Member

Family and friends have worked (and all been screwed over) by the RSPCA, head office not far from hometown.

The change seemed to happen when a reorganisation brought in directors/senior managers with more ‘commercial’ sensibilities than charitable, if you know what I mean.

hegdehog
    Free Member

Had a girlfriend once who worked for them, i was quite concerned as the relationship progressed when i realised that instead of any sort of animal protection or preservation, she used to needle everything.
    The back of her van almost always had some sort of poor dead creature in there that had been unfortunate enough to cross her path..

I was under the impression that as a charity they’re only allowed to retain a couple of years running costs in the bank, so they spend what they can otherwise they lose it??

Her training sounded amazing, fire arms, high speed boats, no expence spared..

BigJohn

PDSA good. Dogs Trust good. Stopped donating to RNLI. All our giving goes to Surfers Against Sewage, Catharine House who provide end of life care at home and
    …wait for it, keyboards ready…Oxfam.

jamj1974

Her training sounded amazing, fire arms, high speed boats, no expence spared

RSPCA or Miami Vice?

bearnecessities

RSPCA or Miami Vice?

Meowaii Five-0.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I found a large African Parrott in a area full of cats. Rang them- call the RSPB‘ why? Cos its nowt to do with us.

****. RSPB dont offer the same service- they do conservation.

Same again – Swans nest on Manchester canal path. Right in the middle of it. Nope/sorry two days later it was in the manchester evening news- Staff killed nesting swan.

Ditto a Westie wandering. I rang em- not us/call the stray dogs.

To be fair to the RSPB, dogs aren’t birds.

alanl
    Free Member

Winston, could you elaborate on your RNLI experiences?
    Thanks
    Alan.

mudshark
    Free Member

I was under the impression that as a charity they’re only allowed to retain a couple of years running costs in the bank, so they spend what they can otherwise they lose it??

How would that work?

hegdehog
    Free Member

I don’t know (i’m not an accountant) it was something she said, hence the ? at the end of my sentence..

Could be something to do with this though-
    https://www.gov.uk/charity-financial-reserves

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Have we done RSPCA being twunts yet?’ is closed to new replies.