Viewing 14 posts - 81 through 94 (of 94 total)
  • Have we done Oval chainrings yet?
  • mtbmatt
    Free Member

I switched to Rotor this year and really like them.
    It is only when you switch back that you really notice the difference. Round rings just feel horrible now! As someone said above, rotor rings just make the pedals stroke more rounded.

For me the easiest difference to notice on the MTB was technical climbing. At times when you need that extra pop to get up a ledge/rock, etc you get in the power zone and it really helps.

The QX1 and QCX1 chainrings are very good with great chain retention.

jameso

So I’m thinking the benefits would be less for me than for a “masher”.

I’m far from having a smooth pedal stroke – tend to push a gear and suit SSing and the oval may work with my less efficient natural pedaling style, so there may be something in what you’re saying.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Yes, I suspect the biggest benefit is when you’re having to work hard through the dead spot in the stroke. So if you’re spinning a lighter gear you’d probably get less benefit than if you are pushing a harder gear.

rsvktm

Just got my absolute black 32 oval yesterday, not had chance to try other than a quick round the houses. Does feel odd, but I think in a good way. I normally race with a 34 so if this works will get one when they are released and then run the 32 singlespeed. I do ride slow cadence however so I think this will suit me, my best 1hr power when training on the road bike is circa 80 cadence. No power meter on the mtb so any improvements may be subjective but if feels better when low speed techy climbing I’ll be more than happy.

rsvktm

First ride on my oval ring and have to say it seems to suit me. Running two teeth lower at the front did mean that gearing is different than used to, but seated and stood low cadence climbing in slippy conditions did seem more controlled and certainly felt that could sprint well. High cadence and initial riding did feel odd at first but soon got used to the feeling, hard to describe but having used normal rings for over 25yrs it just didn’t feel right.
    Will be ordering a 34 as soon as released, always wanted to use rotors but the cost and the unknown was holding me back. For £50 was worth the experiment, no dropped chain either.

john_l
    Free Member

Waiting for the 38t 130 BCD ring here for sscx – reckon it’ll it great for racing. Due in December apparently.

beaconjon
    Free Member

I race TT’s against many who do and don’t use them.

Can’t say I’ve tried them but I’m pretty sure the benefits are minimal at best and probably more psychological as the fastest guys are just the fittest guys.

If they’re was a clear advantage in using them I’m sure the pros would all use them as stuff like this gets tested to death these days.

I’m pretty sure the likes of Martin and Sparticus don’t use them but Wiggo does.

I guess you pays your money.

tehan
    Free Member

I know there is plenty of you waiting for 34T, so it is now in stock and selling.

http://absoluteblack.cc/oval-104bcd-chainring.html

mrblobby
    Free Member

Thanks for the update. Yet to try the 32t I’ve got, can I swap 😉

DoctorRad
    Free Member

I ran a 24t 40% oval EggRing in Calderdale when I used to live there – that’s 20t on the short axis and 28t on the long, so a lot more extreme than the rings being discussed here. With that in mind, I found it to be a revelation for both loaded (trailer hauling) and technical climbing. In my experience, you can apply power more evenly over more of the pedal stroke and it does get you through the dead spot more quickly.

As for shifting issues – not an problem with a single-ring set-up of course – I didn’t really notice any… but then I avoid any sort of front mech indexing like the plague, which may have something to do with it…

DoctorRad
    Free Member

I acquired some SR ovaltech rings for my winter hack.

Unless you’ve rotated them by approximately 90 degrees from their original orientation, they’ll be the same orientation as BioPace, i.e. the wrong way around, with the short axis on the power stroke.

I’m pretty sure the likes of Martin and Sparticus don’t use them but Wiggo does

I think Frome uses them too in time trials? I think it’s a Team Sky thing, presumably it’s another marginal improvement to be accumulated. I believe they use Osymetric rings.

lovewookie

Unless you’ve rotated them by approximately 90 degrees from their original orientation, they’ll be the same orientation as BioPace, i.e. the wrong way around, with the short axis on the power stroke.

yes they were, was inquisitive as to how they would feel. kinda jerky.

they’re 5 bolt so rotated one bolt anticlockwise and they feel much much better. 🙂

dirtyrider
    Free Member

mines arrived, 28t XX1 next to it as a comparison

greenstix7
    Free Member
Viewing 14 posts - 81 through 94 (of 94 total)

The topic ‘Have we done Oval chainrings yet?’ is closed to new replies.