• This topic has 8 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by nach.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Have we done Loop Wheels yet?
  • joeydeacon
    Free Member

https://www.loopwheels.com/products/mountain-bikes/

Just stumbled across this on Twitter.. reinventing the wheel?!

Dark-Side

[/url]Loopwwheel-MTB-full-1600×1132 by chrisjohnlawson, on Flickr[/img]

The future of downhill mountain biking – in our humble opinion. We’ve tested this out on some pretty gnarly hills and the results are “who put tarmac on the downhill section?” – Translated to “That ride was so smooth, I’m pretty sure I dreamt it.”

Yep, we’re developing a 26? loopwheel, with disc brake mounting, for mountain bikes. We plan to launch it in 2017.

If you’d like to be one of the first to receive news about loopwheels for MTBs, sign up to our MTB mailing list.

Really?? The future of downhill mountain biking with an image of a soft tail mountain bike with a mudguard fitted?

26″ wheels too, they will sell well when they launch in 2017.

samunkim
    Free Member

Since the rim is moving relative to the hub.
    Isn’t this liable to jam the tyre against the frame on any hard landing ?

Lateral strength is going to be interesting as well

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    nach
    Free Member

Oh dear.

This seemed like a great idea for the 20inch wheel city bikes they first aimed them at.

deejayen
    Free Member

I’ve read one or two positive reviews, but they were the smaller versions for folding bikes and recumbents.

joeydeacon
    Free Member

My knowledge of physics/engineering ain’t great, but won’t they soak up loads of energy when accelerating compared to a stiff, regular wheelset?

boxelder

Can they be retrued?

martinhutch

We’ve tested this out on some pretty gnarly hills and the results are “who put tarmac on the downhill section?”

To me, that’s far less of a positive than they think it is. If I want that, I’ll just ride down HardKnott.

And as Joey says, anything that soaks up energy will soak up effort.

I’d be paranoid about the first big rock that clatters sideways into one of those loops.

nach
    Free Member

I want to see Ratboy rag a pair down something.

To see some terrible riding with a similar invention, skip to about 8:20 in this:
    https://youtu.be/O11hFiu43RQ?t=502

None of the characteristics displayed seem desirable. Unless you have immaculate pump technique, it seems like that forwards-backwards rocking is just going to make things a chore.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Have we done Loop Wheels yet?’ is closed to new replies.