Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Have we done hiring a car in Europe changes?
  • zippykona

After 8 June holidaymakers will have to log on to the DVLA website the day before they leave and input their driving licence number and national insurance number. The system will then generate a one-time passcode which the holidaymaker can give to the hire company when they arrive at the desk.

A customer told us about this today. We had no idea.

andytherocketeer

bin dun
    at least twice
    uk is most certainly not the first nation to go to points online rather than points on paper

hora
    Free Member

Points?

trademark
    Free Member
    Marge
    Free Member

Never showed my paper part in 10years of hiring rental cars (every week or 2) throughout EU & US

Can’t comment on the system since the change as I’m not a British licence holder anymore but would seem rather ‘convenient’ if the car rental companies started asking for this paid DVLA service.

nickjb
    Free Member

Only ever had to show the paper bit in Ireland. Just hired a carb in Poland and didn’t need any code. The guy just photocopied my licence. Don’t think he even looked at it.

footflaps

Hired a car in Portugal last week, they just wanted the pink Euro card thing and nothing else.

back2basics
    Free Member

does everyone take the extra super duper CDW cover at the counter? i hear the “scam” is if you dont then they check over the car with a fine toothcomb when it comes back, because they never go through it like that before it goes out with you

footflaps

does everyone take the extra super duper CDW cover at the counter? i hear the “scam” is if you dont then they check over the car with a fine toothcomb when it comes back, because they never go through it like that before it goes out with you

Generally no, and never been charged any extras either.

nickjb
    Free Member

Nope. Never been charged for minor dings and scratches. Main scam seems to be charging an ‘admin fee’ to pass your details to the police for traffic offences even though you don’t get fined. Happened 4 times now.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Have we done hiring a car in Europe changes?’ is closed to new replies.