Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 148 total)
  • have we done Chris Grayling Dooring a cyclist yet?
  • eddie11
    Free Member
    Orange-Crush
    Free Member

Orange-Crush
    Free Member

In saying the cyclist was going too fast he surely is admitting he saw him before opening the door? But never mind, technically it is the driver, not the passenger, who is responsible.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Northwind

Got to admit I’m a wee bit sympathetic when there’s a cyclist passing on the left, it’s one of those “shouldn’t happen but you can kind of understand why it does”. And then instantly less sympathetic for “you were going too fast” of course.

The driver definitely seems to be guilty of an S170 though, for failing to provide details and probably for not declaring the accident…

theotherjonv

The Dutch reach

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzIf80eSfCg[/video]

bainbrge

The Dutch reach around is great.

Have to admit I nearly doomed someone getting out of a car when a teenager. Hope wouldn’t do it now but I’m sure I’ve remembered slightly too late wen getting out of a cab.

leffeboy

Dutch reach around rocks. Will have to remember that

darkcove

Needs a Guard to operate the doors.

Northwind

darkcove – Member

Needs a Guard to operate the doors.

Oh! Well done!

poly
    Free Member

Orange crush – What makes you think it is the drivers responsibility if a passenger opens the door on somebody?

STATO
    Free Member

Poly – it’s what the law states

project
    Free Member

Orange crush – What makes you think it is the drivers responsibility if a passenger opens the door on somebody?

and its the drivers insurance that pays for injuries to the cyclist plus all other costs incured

Superficial
    Free Member

Argh that’s so obviously occurred because of a lack of cycle lanes! In the video there’s even a cycle lane that starts a few metres up the road – a sort of tacit acknowledgment that the road bloody needs one. I’d feel terrible if I took someone out like that, no matter who is at “fault”. If only the perpetrator was in a position to improve the situation and ensure this sort of thing didn’t happen so often.

Won’t hold my breath.

epicyclo

I taught my kids to aim for the person opening the door if that happens to them – for several good reasons.

Firstly they get a softer landing.

Secondly the person learns a lesson they’ll never forget.

But most importantly they don’t swerve out into the traffic and get creamed and and then have everyone standing around consoling the distraught door opener “It was an accident”. No it bloody wasn’t.

tjagain

I had someone nearly do this to us on the tandem – heavy traffic – car appeared to be turning right and a cycle lane on the left. We wer going reasonably fast (perhaps wrongly) Guy opened the door and got out right in front – I shouted and he jumped out of the way and slammed the door shut just as we went thru – fortunately for him as it was a volvo and two of us makes for a fair bit of momentum. We would have squashed him to the door

the driver is guilty of several offences there including failure to give details. I’d be after his hide for it

poly
    Free Member

STATO – except that is not what s105 of the C+U regs says.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

So tell us what it says. Does it, for instance, exclude Gov. Ministers from all legal and moral responsibility?

cheers_drive

Argh that’s so obviously occurred because of a lack of cycle lanes!

That could quite easily happen with the typical narrow cycle lane, I nearly did it to a cyclist a few years ago and being a cyclist I’m probably more aware than most. The fact is that in town cycling is often quicker than driving, the only way if making it safe is truly segregated paths that have right of way ala The Netherlands or Denmark

poly
    Free Member
    Northwind

cheers_drive – Member

That could quite easily happen with the typical narrow cycle lane

Yeah, tbh I don’t think a cycle lane would have made any difference here tbh

Onzadog
    Free Member

When I stop to allow someone to get out of my car in traffic, I’ll typically indicate and move closer to the kerb. If it’s not safe for someone to filter through, don’t leave a gap for them.

theotherjonv

I’ve been doored once, on the offside by a parked car in a line of parallel parkers. It hurt, a lot, and nearly put me in front of traffic coming the other way as I hit the floor. It won’t happen again, I can tell you.

That, dear motorists, is why I am 1-1.5m away from parked cars as I pass them. And if it inconveniences you slightly, I’m sorry but nothing compared to the inconvenience to the person who has to arrange the funeral.

wwaswas

When I stop to allow someone to get out of my car in traffic, I’ll typically indicate and move closer to the kerb. If it’s not safe for someone to filter through, don’t leave a gap for them.

this.

Looked like they were queuing in traffic to get nearer the door but he just said ‘don;t worry I’ll just get out and walk and opened the door’

Either that or really he hates cyclists as much as his statements about them indicate he does.

IHN

I’m going to get flamed for this, but looking at the positions of the bike and the rider, he must have been traveling at a quickish pace, and doing so up a narrow gap on the inside of the traffic. That’s not a massively brainy thing to do as, people tend to get out of cars on that side.

So, yeah, DG should have checked before he opened the door, but, equally, cyclist chappy should have been riding a bit more sensibly.

wwaswas

That’s not a massively brainy thing to do as, people tend to get out of cars on that side.

there’s a painted cycle lane exactly the same size as the gap the rider was on about 20yds up the road – would you ride in it?

The risk is the same, I’d wager Grayling would have done the same if the vehicle had been stopped there.

IHN

I would ride in it, at the same cautious speed that I would have have ridden up the inside of the traffic. It’s not the position he’s riding in that’s the issue, cos he had no choice and as you say there’s a cycle lane coming up, it’s the speed he was riding at that I think wasn’t massively brainy.

amedias
    Free Member

it’s the speed he was riding at that I think wasn’t massively brainy.

And hindsight is a wonderful think, hopefully the cyclist will learn from this experience as well*, but it’s the other guy that will be getting the fine (hopefully) and telling off. Hopefully some good will come of this too, if nothing else it’s a decent reminder to everyone what can happen when someone makes a poor decision or isn’t paying enough attention on the roads, no matter what vehicle you’re using.

This is a subtle problem though isn’t it? you might not be blaming the cyclist for not anticipating that someone could do something that they’re not allowed to do, (and that there is a specific offence to cover the doing of), but there’s still the expectation on them to do so, and to some non-cycling folk they will latch onto any way it can be twisted and interpret it as being the cyclists fault.

resisted urge to reply with “walking into a dark alley at night could also be considered as not massively brainy, but it doesn’t make you to blame if you get mugged or worse” because I don’t get the impression you were actually trying to blame the cyclist.

ah bum, resistance is futile 🙁

* I did, as kid I got doored, and I now forever have it etched in my mind to the point that now I can count at least another half dozen times I would have been doored had my previous experience not meant that I was far enough out to avoid it, or being cautious enough to stop in time.

mcnultycop

I’m a cyclist (I’m assuming everyone who posts on here is a cyclist, or at least used to be a cyclist). About this time last year I nearly hit a cyclist with my door getting out of the car I’d just parallel parked. I checked the mirror (I’m sure) opened the door and nearly took him out. Luckily he had cat like reflexes.

I don’t think I’ve ever been as apologetic, and I now double check (at least) every time I open the door, and part open the door first so it’s apparent I’m getting out. The guy was actually OK with it once I’d spoken with him. He was going at speed but I don’t blame him, it was a long downhill and he probably wasn’t doing over the 30mph limit. He could’ve been further away from the cars, but I understand that he wasn’t and it was my fault.

kimbers

That’s not a massively brainy thing to do as, people tend to get out of cars on that side.

Equally its London there are bikes riding the inside all the time, opening your door without checking is not a massively brainy thing to do (but we are taking about Failing Grayling) especially between 2 cycle lanes when the car hasn’t even pulled over

I’ve been doored whilst riding up the inside but in a cycling lane, the driver was apologetic, his wife’s response- the one that hit me- when I told her she should be more careful was ‘ You are making me late for work’ 😯

IHN

Equally its London there are bikes riding the inside all the time, opening your door without checking is not a massively brainy thing to do (but we are taking about Failing Grayling) especially between 2 cycle lanes when the car hasn’t even pulled over

Totally agree, that’s why I said

DG should have checked before he opened the door, but, equally, cyclist chappy should have been riding a bit more sensibly.

I just all parties need to understand that they have a responsibility for both their own and other’s safety. Much of the argument tends to be about assigning blame to one side or the other, when that is very rarely the case; when accidents happen there are generally things that all parties could have done to prevent it.

bails

Yeah, tbh I don’t think a cycle lane would have made any difference here tbh

I don’t know. Pretty hard to get doored if you’re in this cycle lane on the right:

Edit: Actually, I’ve just seen that lorry parked on the divider!

DezB
    Free Member

Just this
    Grayling: “Motorists in London have got to be immensely careful of cyclists.”

Twonk. Must’ve forgotted there were cyclists in the city.

tjagain

This is not an accident – its a reckless act causing the cyclist injury. accidents are when something unforeseen happens / where there is no reckless or dangerous action by one party.

The car driver / passenger is 100% at fault. No question.

As a cyclist however one needs to reflect on incidents like this and to try to find ways to avoid putting yourself in a position whereby you can be the victim. I don’t know how anyone can say the cyclist was going too fat – its impossible for me to judge the speed from the video but judging by how little damage was done and how small a distance the cyclist travelled my guess is they were going slowly.

I look into EVERY car I pass to see if anyone looks like opening their door. If the cars are close to the kerb like this I tend to go down the otherside of the cars. If I see a door start to open I scream at them in the hope they will stop.

fourbanger
    Free Member

Why is the cyclist passing on the left?

tjagain

‘cos that is the norm. the expected thing to do and contrary to what others claim on here perfectly legal

amedias
    Free Member

fourbanger – Member
    Why is the cyclist passing on the left?

Because (rightly or wrongly) the last 20years of cycling ‘infrastructure’ deployed in the Uk suggests that’s where you should be…so it’s normal and expected

Northwind

DezB – Member

Grayling: “Motorists in London have got to be immensely careful of cyclists.”

OK, that’s possibly unfair, “be careful of X” can mean “be careful on their behalf” It’s a bit archaic but it doesn’t follow that he meant watch out drivers, cyclists are gonna get ya.

DezB
    Free Member

it doesn’t follow that he meant watch out drivers, cyclists are gonna get ya.

Did you think that’s what I understood him to mean? Or is you makin a joke?
    It’s like the “CAUTION CYCLISTS” sign on my way to work, as if we’re an obstruction that shouldn’t be there. But obviously not really what is meant by the stupid sign (that was partially funded by the co I now work for!)

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Personally I would never go up the inside of a load of traffic like that, but then I am not a hardened London rider, I value not getting squashed by a bus too much.

Northwind

DezB – Member

Did you think that’s what I understood him to mean? Or is you makin a joke?

Bit of exaggeration. But do you see the point? “Be careful of cyclists” can genuinely mean “We need to be careful and make sure we keep cyclists safe”.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 148 total)

The topic ‘have we done Chris Grayling Dooring a cyclist yet?’ is closed to new replies.