Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Have we done billy Connolly yet?
  • geoffj

Seems like the big yin can’t handle a bit of heckling.

allthepies
    Free Member

McFlounce…

enfht
    Free Member

Had no time for him since he mocked Ken Bigley.

sc-xc

He’s always been shit.

SaxonRider

sc-xc – Member

He’s always been shit.

This.

jota180
    Free Member

He’s crap always has been
    ditto Frankie Boyle

The only decent Scotch comedian is Stewart Lee 😉

Jamie
    Free Member

😀

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giutM5j_EGw[/video]

allthepies
    Free Member

And Ronnie Corbett 🙂

ScottChegg
    Free Member

I was there in Blackpool last week.

Some woman at the back seemed to walk in off the street and shout “Billy, you’re sh*te”.

After which he left.

The woman was Scottish, and I even wondered if it was set up. He even spoke about hecklers and how to deal with them earlier in his set.

It was a particularly bad-tempered set from him; he was grumpy and disinterested. It was a let down.

althepal

Hmm. Disagree with some of the stuff above. Admittedly, he hasn’t come up with much (if any) new stuff the last few years but then neither have folk like Eddie Izzard and hes got a fair few years on him! The guys an honest to goodness legend for petes sake!
    Been a fan of him for decades but disappointed that he spat the dummy like this and couldn’t handle the hecklers.. Another dream over then.
    Edit- just read that above.. Poor show, no pun intended.

Jamie
    Free Member

but then neither have folk like Eddie Izzard

He has been kind of busy with running 1,100miles for Sports Relief, appearing in loads of films and starring in several long running TV shows.

….oh and still did a tour….and didn’t flounce off.

yunki
    Free Member

fellow human being infallible shocker..!!

doss **** outraged

Jamie
    Free Member

Fallible, shirley?

althepal

Aye, all true. Just kinda see Izzard as a current day Connelly hence the comparison. In a rambling, observational comedy kinda way, without the make up and cross dressing obviously.
    Went to see Eddie Izzard a coupla years ago with high expectations but came away a bit let down. Just not as funny as I’d hoped.
    Would have liked to see Billy Connolly at some point in my (his) life but not if that’s gonna happen. Maybe his best days are behind him.
    Edit- probably now I think about it.

yunki
    Free Member

Fallible, shirley?

to err is human..

Woody
    Free Member

The guys an honest to goodness legend for petes sake!

Agreed, and his travelling stuff has been first class.

konabunny
    Free Member

I wonder if he is even lazier and more disappointing than Dylan Moran.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

I think a lot of the issues come from how people behave at shows these days. Up and down all the time, coming in late. Why can’t folk sit down and watch it FFS?

In ye olden days anyone moved from their seat the comic would rip them to bits.

loum
    Free Member

jota180 – Member
    The only decent Scotch comedian is Stewart Lee

Sorry to say this but he’s lost it.
    Went to his latest live show last Saturday, and it’s simply not funny. Expected good things, but it was a dull, uninteresting, repetitive monologue.
    It was quite sad to see him like that.
    He obviously understands comedy, but it was more of a lecture on how to be funny , than a demonstration. If that makes any sense.

wheeliejim
    Free Member

BC did have a cycling phase in the 80s, and did some material on it too, I seem to remember Campagnolo getting a name-check.

Pigface
    Free Member

He is getting on a bit, I guess you just lose it.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

He’s always been shit.

I don’t think that is entirely true, for the first couple of years of his career he was highly amusing. But ever since then he’s been crap.

There is a limit to how many laughs you can get from your amusing anecdotal stories about your working-class Glasgow tenement upbringing and life as a young boiler-maker in the shipyards.

Specially when you have been rubbing shoulders with royalty and the rich and famous for the last 35 years.

Inbred456
    Free Member

Ken Dodd is still the man. 3 hrs if your lucky of laugh out loud silliness. The only gig I’ve been to that I needed a packed lunch and had to cancel the taxi home cos he just doesn’t stop!

konabunny
    Free Member

He obviously understands comedy, but it was more of a lecture on how to be funny , than a demonstration. If that makes any sense.

It does make sense but his schtick is the deconstruction of a joke and then taking several runs at it from different directions. I read his book. I don’t find him particularly funny as much as interesting.

BTW – I am a broken record on this – but if you’re the kind of person who goes to Stewart Lee gigs, you might like the Marc Maron WTF podcast. Only don’t listen to the one with Stewart Lee first, it’s crap. Listen to it after you’ve done some other ones. The Mike DiStefano one is awesome. Free.

loum
    Free Member

konabunny
    Thanks for the Marc Maron tip, i’ll check that out.
    As regards Stuart Lee, his joke deconstruction has worked brilliantly before but there was a bit missing this time, the joke. He’s just not on good form at the moment. I won’t go into it too much here in case you get to go see it, it might spoil something.
    I’d go again ( if there’s a new show in the future) but it would be in hope that he finds form again.

Northwind

Hasn’t Stewart Lee’s schtick always been half-funny jokes, delivered unfunnilly, then repeated 4 or 5 times with a minor tweak (ie, do the same joke in exactly the same way, but lying down?)

aP
    Free Member

Another for Dodd – a friend of my parents worked in rep with him In the late 50s and apparently her son was the only person that he couldn’t make laugh.
    Re BC – I always wince at the prostrate milking story…

yunki
    Free Member

I thought the only half decent Scottish comedians were Burns and MacGonagall..

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Roy Chubby Brown ftw.

nonk
    Free Member

as a nation theses days we are a bunch of permanently distracted self obsessed tossers go see anything live theses days and no one pays full attention, phones out, talking, trying to find their crazy friends must go to the bar again need another bog trip etc etc.
    👿

ScottChegg
    Free Member

The nob next to me looked at his phone every couple of minutes. I think he was recording it.

He needn’t have bothered.

Midnighthour
    Free Member

I dont see why there is any excuse for any well known comic to use significant amounts of old material – there are plenty of joke writers they can call on/pay if they get a bit stuck and I think many of the comics dont even write themselves.

I wonder if BC has got a bit lazy, plus he has that awful wife – his wife does a relationship advice column for one of the newspapers and its also dire. For someone trained and qualified, she gives the most moronic and shallow advice whenever I have read the column. Mel Smith seems to hate her – in an interview he said she is horrid and has spent all his marriage pretending not to remember his wifes name in order to snub her – even though her name too is Pamela so its not exactly going to slip her mind accidentally.

I think Mr and Mrs Connelly have both moved to ego over effort.

cynic-al
    Free Member

His wife trained as a psychotherapist did she not? I respect that, not easy.

Anyway anyone got a link to the flounce story for this cave dweller?

mcmoonter
    Free Member

This was the last time I laughed at Billy Connolly – I was fourteen.

He’s bad enough, but worse is Parkinson when he refers to him as ‘Connolly’.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlUb8jt0WP0[/video]

iain1775
    Free Member

Im going on Friday
    With an open mind
    any repeated material is a ‘greatest hits’ set

chewkw
    Free Member

He is shite.

Midnighthour
    Free Member

I would normally respect that in a person too. Not impressed the few times I have seen her advice though.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/profile/pamelastephensonconnolly?page=2

Exmple 1 – The wife feels rejected as she has discovered her hubby prefers a ‘moment’ in the shower to intimacy with her and is very hurt – so the answer to hubby is not to make the wife feel more valued as a person but to “show her new tricks to please you”

Another column (I just picked a couple from the newspaper web site) says
    “Fidelity” is not easy for anyone”
    Which is an inaccurate generalisation used to justify why a woman’s boyfriend is sleeping with another man while dating her and now wants her to have multi person romps.

You think these are helpful intelligent answers?
    I am just not convinced by this sort of ‘help and advice’ given to vulnerable people.

Mackem

He used to be quite good then seemed to run out of ideas. The latest I saw from him was travelling across route66 where he didnt seem to have anything interesting to say and just put on a big laugh hoping that would cover up some very stilted and painful interviews with the “characters” he met.

petrieboy

It’s certainly a phenomenon in all walks of life, at one point, you’ve got it, then you lose it. And it’s gone forever. All walks of life.

Brake-neck
    Free Member

Earlier this week, he was voted the UK’s most influential stand-up comedian of all time in a poll compiled by fellow comedians.

Taken from the BBC article about his walk off, this obviously confirms his shitness! Why can’t we all just like the same thing 🙄

Billy was bloody funny early on but he had good writers, one of which died in 1996 and the other fell out with him while ago.(Hamish Imlach and Watt Nicoll)
    Used to work with Watt on a couple of musical projects, said Connolly was a C**t.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Have we done billy Connolly yet?’ is closed to new replies.