Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • Have we done "Apple Stole My Music"?
  • bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Link without Facebook referral:

http://www.imore.com/no-apple-music-not-deleting-tracks-your-hard-drive-unless-you-tell-it

It should be noted that iMore is Apple’s #1 apologist when they get shit wrong. So always take what they say with a pinch of salt.

I will agree with the bit of the article relating to Apple’s clunky services, and ties in with my thoughts on Apple as a services provider, in that they just seem to always hit a brick wall when it comes to delivering proper well thought out solutions. Compared to how Dropbox etc work, photostream, icloud music library etc seem so unnecessarily convoluted.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I agree Apple are not great at creating simple and effective cloud solutions; it’s always nerve-wracking turning stuff like this on. However, they are addressing the problem differently from someone like Dropbox. Correct me if I’m wrong, but Dropbox is “just” cloud storage, whereas Apple are tightly integrating their apps with their cloud service which brings with it additional complications both for user and, judging by the mistakes they seem to make, Apple.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Northwind – Member

“everyone says there’s no apple viruses and there’s a reason for that, hackers just can’t compete with apple’s own coders”

Sadly it’s simply not true, Apple computers do get viruses, I’ve seen one and everything!

The reason they get so few is that yes, Apple does make a lot of effort to stop them, but mostly because there are 60 PCs sold for every Mac sold, and that ratio is even greater with the numbers of PCs being used today compared to Macs. So if you’re going to invest the time and energy into writing a Virus or some Malware etc for criminal gain or just because you’re a bit odd – then you get a lot of an audience for PCs.

Apple is no more Immune to Viruses than Linux, there’s just not that being created for such a small ‘market’.

wwaswas

stilltortoise – you’;re right Dropbox is a ‘usb drive in the cloud’ – Apple stuff is ‘an integrated app and proprietary cloud storage’ soltution.

seadog101

TBH, the music mysteriously vanishing from my iPad isn’t too big on issue, it’s all on my (non-Apple) phone. It’s losing the mass of podcasts too! I had downloaded loads before coming away from home…. 🙁

squirrelking
    Free Member

Viva la Winamp!

Northwind

P-Jay – Member

Sadly it’s simply not true, Apple computers do get viruses, I’ve seen one and everything!

Never let the obvious truth get in the way of a joke.

lapdog
    Free Member

Hmmm…..there is something satisfying about owning ‘physical’ music – vinyl, cassettes and CDs. Less convenient of course but we seemed to do ok with Walkmans in the day.
    Analogous to fiat money vs physical gold I reckon. Gold will once again have its day when the GFC Mach 2 hits (it will be worse than Mach 1). Just as vinyl will have its day when the next big solar flare wipes out most of our electronics.

epicyclo

I have had a heap of music disappear off my iMac after an iTunes upgrade.

I don’t remember doing anything unusual like wanting to stream (I prefer local storage).

It’s a bloody nuisance because I’ll have to reload it from CDs – I never bother backing up music because it’s not that important to me, and I have the physical disks anyway.

metalheart
    Free Member

Years ago I was loading itunes on a windows laptop (cant for the life of me remember why, maybe I wanted quicktime to watch dome climbing video or something, or maybe I’d just bought an iphone more like…). Anyway, it started to convert all my mp3’s to some apple format ‘all by itself’ (well, I certain never requested it to do that).

As a consequence I’ve pretty much avoided anything music related from apple ever since.

I guess I’m a Luddite at heart though. Having had hard drives fail (and I’m not the most rigorous of backer uppers out there) I prefer to have a hard copy (cd).

wwaswas

Looks like there may be a bug in the software, it’s not people just ticking the wrong boxes.
    http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense/2016/05/12/proof_that_apple_music_is_deleting_mp3_files.html

jambalaya
    Free Member

Apple confirm it is a real issue

MacRumors

DezB
    Free Member

Cool. Shame ah, that erm, video is uh, so um, long and er tedious (why don’t people practice before they upload?!)
    But looks like Aplle have some fixing to do!

richmars

Music is removed, not deleted!

jambalaya
    Free Member

I started my career in software development, we used to call a bug once documented, a feature. Why spend money on “mac clean up” apps when iTunes can do it for you 😉

Not sure how Apple can make this good, if you delete someone’s music how do they get it all back ?

richmars

Yes, I’ve used a ‘feature’ to explain lots of bugs! Fortunately I don’t write much software.

scaredypants

I think you’ll probably find it’s curated, not removed

mikewsmith
    Free Member

And certainly your fault

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

I think you’ll probably find it’s curated, not removed

I knew this would be Zane Lowe’s fault somehow.

jambalaya
    Free Member

“Curated” brilliant !

jambalaya
    Free Member

If its deleted surely its in the trash? Apple have really ballsed this up

CountZero

Anyway, it started to convert all my mp3’s to some apple format ‘all by itself’ (well, I certain never requested it to do that).
    As a consequence I’ve pretty much avoided anything music related from apple ever since.

If you mean it converted to AAC, then that’s just Apple’s name for MP4, which is the music codec developed for video use by the MP3 foundation, and which produces higher quality files than the older MP3 format, and neither are Apple formats; Apple has to pay a license fee to use them, just like everyone else does, as they’re proprietary formats.
    Apple Lossless is open source, and anyone can use it.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Apple released a new iTunes along with OSX, iOS yesterday. ITunes chnages include cosmetic but also a reference to the “deletion” bug which they say they cannot replicate thus cannit conclusively fix

Link

Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Have we done "Apple Stole My Music"?’ is closed to new replies.