Viewing 33 posts - 41 through 73 (of 73 total)
  • Have we done amateur doper's yet?
  • xyeti
    Free Member

It never ceases to amaze me how the STW forum has such massive differences in opinion. I know we are supposed to represent a broad spectrum of sosciety itself but as we are all on a Cycling forum you would think we could at least agree on something cycling orientated.

I don’t intend banging on about doping myself as I harped on enough in the other related thread.

It is interesting though to see that whilst some couldn’t give a shit either way dope or don’t dope others who are competing at National level are. I do have a mate in BC who mentioned doping at amateur level including junior level and I was shocked. Nothing concrete figures wise or proof but empty Vials and syringes during and after events.

ferrals
    Free Member

I do have a mate in BC who mentioned doping at amateur level including junior level and I was shocked. Nothing concrete figures wise or proof but empty Vials and syringes during and after events.

This is what worries me. Having a kid on the way and being involved with a club that has a stong youth presence I’d rather that sort of pressure/option wasn’t available.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Apparently Millar is there to make sure they don’t get caught. Or something.

xyeti
    Free Member

Please don’t make me go through the whole David Millar debate again…..

The contributing factor or the deciding factor here for me is the Parents, if you can condone that then no amount of drivelling on by an Pro captured but done good is ever going to rectify the issue.

flange
    Free Member

Which is the sad bit about the Gabriel Evans case – someone must have been advising and helping him to either buy or administer the PEDS which is frankly shocking and the most sinister part of it.

I’d like to know how many Cat3/4 riders are on something. Money clearly isn’t an issue going off the kit they ride, its not a stretch to think that some of them are doping..

Northwind

I race a little bit, but ineffectually… A place here or there makes no difference really. But if there was a proven safe performance booster I could get, I’d take it. Ride further and harder at the weekends, sounds like a win tbh. Only real concern is the added erosion.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Hardly a debate though is it. Got caught. Took the blame. Served his ban. Reinvented himself as a remarkably ineffective zealot. Earned even more money.

Unsurprising really when you consider the business his sister is in.

soulrider
    Free Member

I am so screwed,
    alcohol, caffeine, Vitamins I and P … I am riddled.. and they let me achieve the occasional top 10 placing at various non events….and the occasional top 20 at more populated events…

*sits waiting for ban paperwork to drop through the letterbox..

aracer
    Free Member

That’s a fair point – me and the other chap I was talking to both retired from that at about the start of this century (I then competed at a higher level in a sport where AFAIK there’s only ever been drug testing at one event globally). I guess things have changed a bit – though I presume you’re still talking top end amateur?

Wow – now there’s another side to the debate. PEDs which genuinely enhance your life without harming anybody else!

tpbiker
    Free Member

The second link in the Ops post suggests the chap wasn’t even racing. So if hes just a recreational cyclist then sure he shouldn’t be allowed to complete, but hes done nothing wrong so not sure why its even a story.

I’m pretty sure some of the lads I cycle with would fail a UKAD test….given they don’t race either its not really a point of concern.

FYI..I think drugs in sport are BAD…

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

The second link in the Ops post suggests the chap wasn’t even racing.

Yeah, you appear to be right. Just joined BC for insurance i guess. I saw (at the time) quite a few snippets suggesting otherwise, but mostly just club/closed events. Nothing that BC would have been interested in. But he was still signed up to BCs anti drug thing, same as everyone else with a licence.

FWIW I was recommended to hand my licence in when i started on a course of medication and treatment for my back about 3 years ago. I’d never have got a TUE and wasn’t ever likely to race at any sort of level again. Just walking for more than another couple of years was looking like being unlikely.

Sort of National/european series elite level then a similar sort of thing at masters. So yeah. Lots of top flight ex-pros. Quite a few have been busted in the last few years as well.

Drac

Me, y’all, with a def OJ

Edit: Drac edit knackered that.

Sorry.

fifeandy
    Free Member

But if there was a proven safe performance booster I could get, I’d take it. Ride further and harder at the weekends, sounds like a win tbh.

There is, its called a Turbo Trainer 😛

nickjb
    Free Member

Wow – now there’s another side to the debate. PEDs which genuinely enhance your life without harming anybody else!

What about taking something to aid dropping your mates on the climbs? A little bit of harm to pride maybe but probably worth it 🙂

There is, its called a Turbo Trainer

Don’t be daft! You’ll suggest eating fewer pies and cakes next

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Sounds this needs merging with the xc numbers down thread.

aracer
    Free Member

That’s called an e-bike 😉 Though I’m not quite sure who’s pride is harmed in that case.

Actually that does make me think that one of those seat tube motors would be quite cool to have.

greentricky
    Free Member

Interesting he had a failed test for Modafinil, I have wondered before how prevalent that is on things like the transcontinental and RAAM

Northwind

fifeandy – Member

There is, its called a Turbo Trainer

Tried that, too many negative side effects.

deviant
    Free Member

Ok cards on the table.

I’ve used Clen, Ephedrine, GW501516, GHRP6, Dianabol, Anadrol, Winstrol, Anavar, Testosterone, Trenbolone, Nandrolone, Insulin etc……

I don’t race from one year to the next, I don’t feel I’m cheating anybody…..part of it is my job, went to an extremely aggressive patient who was in my face….twice my size, top off and ready to go….no police attendance obviously.
    I quietly and out of earshot of his wife, my cremate and his kids told him he was ‘fat, old and I’d break him…. he thought better and backed off.

Not proud but I’ve been doing this job 16 yrs, I’m nearly 40 and would like to do another 16 yrs…..if some PED use and regular exercise means I stay safe and come home to Mrs Deviant then I’m happy with that.

Let the moralizing begin.

ferrals
    Free Member

what job do you do? 😯 If a denist possibly overkill

greyspoke
    Free Member

Are there any sports other than bodybuilding where doping is legal?

nickjb
    Free Member

Is it actually illegal in any sport or just against the rules?

deviant
    Free Member

Paramedic….it’s rougher than when I first started 16yrs ago….police cut backs don’t help.

mickmcd
    Free Member

I can see how it’s very easy to get caught doing this

go out and have a bit of music ,a gram or two of nu nu on Saturday night

you never know what your local drug lord is chopping his marching powder with but Sunday it’s probably not out of your sytem

On a serious note when I was studentish I knew a lad who did amphetamines before a race sometimes he would win other times we had to go find him having a party for one in the woods

thestabiliser
    Free Member

there was a (locally) famous rugby league case a few years ago. Lad who was a coalman was using something to keep his back together from hefting 50 kilo coal sacks and rugby training, banned for life (i think). Not always as straightforward as it seems but yeah someone pushing it on a youngster is seriously dark and the ban hard on the kid if they were being coerced (might not have been like). If you’re a mamil using PEDs just to climb the ranks of the distinctly average you maybe need to settle some issues with your mummy and re-evaluate.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Deviant aside, who do we reckon’s using on here, then? 😈

I think my results point squarely to my innocence.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Are there any sports other than bodybuilding where doping is legal?

Strong man type stuff and some power lifting bodies. Not explicitly ‘legal’, but not mentioned in the rules. Which I guess means there will be lots of sports on the fringes where it’s not banned.

ferrals
    Free Member

deviant – Member

Paramedic….it’s rougher than when I first started 16yrs ago….police cut backs don’t help.

Can imagine that can get sketchy, esp. late at night

martinhutch

The second case (where the bloke wasn’t actively competing) is an interesting one. The PEDs concerned might offer a performance advantage in cycling, but that wasn’t necessarily why he bought them.

I’m slightly uncomfortable with UKAD’s ability, as a quasi-judicial organisation, to publicly shame someone who isn’t actually competing in a sport.

Perhaps there has already been an actual proper criminal case around the importation of these drugs – I’d be more relaxed if this had happened and was reported in the UKAD press release, rather than the idea that someone who hadn’t been convicted of any criminal act being dealt with this way.

ferrals
    Free Member

As posts on social media say – its am extreme way to get a strava KOM!

I cannot concieve of someone doping who wasnt at least considering competing in future, it would be just bizarre

Also, apparently, as a BC license holder he signs himself up to no doping,

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Is it actually illegal in any sport or just against the rules?

It’s not illegal to take drugs for sport. It’s against the rules.

What is illegal (depending on where you live) is owning/taking drugs that require a prescription, without having the necassary paperwork, or doing things with drugs that are controlled in other ways. Like importing prescription drugs carries big fines and jail time in some countries.

You can also be prosecuted for fraud if you’ve been caught and can be considered to have financially gained (sporting fraud, mainly France and Italy IIRC).

There are some specific, local laws about cheating, mostly tied into whatever the sporting fraud thing is actually called. IIRC the altitude tents are covered by this in France, but not anywhere else. So owning one in France, if you are a professional sportsman, or hold a licence to compete, is an offence. I’m not 100% on this, but i think i can have one, as i don’t have a licence, so am not a professional or elite athlete.

Not 100% on the detail as i’ve not looked into French (or Italian) rules for a couple of decades!

5thElefant
    Free Member

What is illegal (depending on where you live)

Not illegal buying or using in the UK (for most PEDs). Selling them is though.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

So something like possession with intent to distribute/supply”? or some other legal jargon.

Probably what the second bloke on page one got done under some derivative of.

Viewing 33 posts - 41 through 73 (of 73 total)

The topic ‘Have we done amateur doper's yet?’ is closed to new replies.