Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Have the moles drowned….
  • JEngledow
    Free Member

….during the recent wet weather and flooded fields? I appreciate that they have the option of moving to higher (un-flooded) ground, but where they can’t or haven’t will they have drowned or do they have a way of surviving? Thanks.

Rockabilly
    Free Member

I too would like to know.
    its one of “those” questions. well done that man.

Please, enlighten us.

Klunk
    Free Member

they are probably not stupid enough to live on flood plains.

totalshell

dint they all go to russia in the 60’s

rich-c
    Free Member

No they’re alive and well and making molehills where there wasn’t any a couple of days ago and they’re frozen hard…a bloody trip hazard as I found out on tonights run, ended up laid in very cold wet /mud laughing to myself.

RustySpanner

They’ve joined forces with the badgers.

Ever seen a fully equipped battle-mole riding an armoured badger?
    No you haven’t, because they have EXCELLENT camouflage.

Not quite sure who’s going to be culling who next summer……

JEngledow
    Free Member

Bump for Monday, as I want to know if the little moles are OK!!

Stoner
    Free Member

why? I want to know that the verminous little excavator in my lawn has curled up in a watery grave.

rudebwoy
    Free Member

a number will have drowned, many more will not, do you think that some have developed escape chambers in their tunnels ?

as for lawn enthusiasts bemoaning an animal doing its thing, are you telling me a lawn is a thing of wonder ?

29erKeith
    Free Member

Dig down 6 inches in my garden and you’ll find water, yet the bloody mole is still alive making a mess of my lawn which is only 6 months laid 🙁

I recon the little sod’s got some scuba gear down there

29erKeith
    Free Member

not any more rudebwoy but it was 🙁

JEngledow
    Free Member

do you think that some have developed escape chambers in their tunnels ?

No, but I don’t know if they manage to trap air pockets, hibernate or just hold their breath for a long time!! 🙄

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

I was wondering something similar a week or so back about all the snakes that go into hibernation & then the floods come, what happens to them? Do they wake and move or does the cold water slow them down so much they cant really.

Lots of adders around the local pond and all the surrounds are excessively wet at the moment

ohnohesback
    Free Member

mudshark
    Free Member

Then there’s the flip side – do fish stick to where the rivers normally flow or do they venture into open ‘land’ only to get trapped in receding waters?

rudebwoy
    Free Member

fish are fairly mundane, so will stick to their patch, eels however are a different kettle…….so will wander anywhere thats wet…

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

On a similar note are all the reservoirs now full again or were these storms the ‘wrong type of rain’? You tend to only hear about the levels getting low and as I don’t very often pass a reservoir you never hear if they’re recovering.

nukeproofriding
    Free Member

noooo not the moles. They’re so cute. Holes in the lawn for a few months of the year are not the end of the world unless you own cattle/horses/sheep – tis’ just nature!

Drac

They can swim and yes of course they live in flood plains but stay above the normal water table. Of course some will probably drown.

rewski
    Free Member

They dig down deeper, so deep in fact that they reach the earths magma, they re-appear with super powers and come back to the earths crust through molecanoes, causing fires and devastation wherever they go.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Then there’s the flip side – do fish stick to where the rivers normally flow or do they venture into open ‘land’ only to get trapped in receding waters?

Most stay at the bottom of the river in the slow moving water amongst the weeds. No self respecting fish is going to hang arround in the shallow water of a flooded field waiting for a bird to get them.

anotherstan
    Free Member

only a month or so back on a club night ride, we found numerous fish flapping about in large puddles on a local towpath that had been flooded the previous day.
    slung em back into the river, well, the larger slower ones that we could catch.
    the more evasive nippy little buggers will have made a light snack for the birds the following morning 🙁

elzorillo
    Free Member

The banks of our sailing club are normally overrun with bunnies.. The banks have for a week been sat under up to 5m of flood water as far as the eye can see.. poor bunnies 🙁

fasthaggis

Never mind the moles ,how about these mongoose

🙂

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Have the moles drowned….’ is closed to new replies.