Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 218 total)
  • Have skills courses become the latest de rigueur accessory?
  • jimjam
    Free Member

I’ve noticed a trend on here over the last while where anyone looking to improve any aspect of their riding or their bike will almost invariably be told to go on a skills/training course.

I’m not questioning the potential benefits of some of these courses – I’m sure most riders could gain from a bit of coaching, but I’m wondering if these courses have become a bit of a fashion accessory/ talking point? They certainly seem to be portrayed as the solution to all problems on here at least.

It is too easy to focus on the bike/kit when trying to fix problems but the easiest way to improve your riding is surely just to ride more. It’s far from impossible to improve on your own, or by riding with mates, better riders etc.

peachos
    Free Member

yes. very much so. especially on here.

thomthumb
    Free Member

It is too easy to focus on the bike/kit when trying to fix problems but the easiest way to improve your riding is surely just to ride more.

assuming you don’t pick up a bad habit and then compound it.

It’s far from impossible to improve on your own, or by riding with mates, better riders etc.

not impossible. much easier to learn from someone who is good and can impart that skill than bimbling around on your own. also some ‘good’ riders have poor technique them selves.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

or by riding with mates, better riders etc.

This will also work… especially if you spend the time looking at better riders and sharing your knowledge with those wanting to improve.

philconsequence
    Free Member

i’m booked on a skills course, but only because mrsconsequence hasnt stopped raving about it since, its improved her riding and confidence massively…. i watched her do a small jump and get some air on sunday… i can’t do that…. yet 🙂

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Mountain biking has become a bit of a fashion accessory.

nickf
    Free Member

but the easiest way to improve your riding is surely just to ride more

Au contraire, Blackadder.

I’ve been riding for 20 years, and am happy to ride down stuff which is as steep as you like. Jumps, however, are a different kettle of fish. I’m just rubbish at them, and no amount of attempting has improved this.

Someone talking me through what/when/how to do is what I need. Even if it’s something really easy, it’ll be worth the amount.

FWIW, I went 6 seconds faster at Bedford Autodrome with an instuctor than without. Same day, almost identical car. For me, training pays.

jameso

I used to windsurf – it’s totally normal to start with a course to learn the basics.

I climb a bit – it’s normal to learn via a more experienced climber, or by going on courses. it’s rare to teach yourself trad climbing..

So why not with biking? Just because we learn to ride as children doesn’t mean we can’t learn from a good instructor later in life. It’s probably become popular as (I expect) there are really good courses available now.

And to be brutally honest, the way I see many riders tackling descents at xc/enduro events there’s a good market for skill training (and I could do with learning more in some areas where i know i’m not good). I was shown a few lines by a faster downhiller at Aston Hill a while back, i’d not realised how they could work out to be faster and smoother. That was a mini-skill course.. I’d see no reason not to pay for a day of that kind of advice from someone who’s good at what they do.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

the easiest way to improve your riding is surely just to ride more.

Riding more on its own will not yeild skills improvements – riding the same stuff at the same speed will just mean you ride more. I spent years trying to get faster at DH racing just doing more runs, with no real improvement.

Riding with targets and goals is much more likely to lead to an improvement.

I just ride for fun but if I can’t do something, I’ll keep hitting it until I can (unless I decide it’s beyond me).

mboy
    Free Member

Some people are happy just riding their bikes.

Some people are happy riding their bikes, but would like to improve their skills.

Some people aren’t happy with their riding as they feel their current skillset is holding them back somewhat and really want to improve fast.

If you’re in either of the latter 2 groups, some skills coaching is going to make a serious difference, and to be honest, even if you’re just happy as you are now some coaching can still make you enjoy your riding more.

Put it this way, how many people go skiing or snowboarding without ever having had some lessons or coaching at least to start with? Why should cycling be so much different? Just cos it’s easier to “just ride along” on a bike than it is on skis or a board initially, having done all 3 sports I’d argue that when you get beyond the basics, Mountain Biking requires a significantly more complex set of skills to master than Skiing of Snowboarding, quite possibly due to the extra complexity of the machine but also the terrain and other factors too.

cupra
    Free Member

Riding more has just reinforced all my bad habits so that they are really hard to change now 🙄 skills course here I come. Speaking personally – fashion no, more benefit to me than some bike parts for the same cost, yes.

jameso

“Mountain biking has become a bit of a fashion accessory.”

Show me something in life that isn’t a fashion / staus accessory to some people.

…But if a lone rider rides in the woods and nobody sees him, is it possible for him to be fashionable? )

dropoff

Totally agree with what GG says. More fashion in MTB’ing than on the catwalk these days. Obviously the marketing works. As for training if you think you need it have it, just don’t forget what it’s all about … FUN

DezB
    Free Member

GlitterGary – Member

The fashion accessory to have on this forum 😆

Some people are happy just riding their bikes.
    That’s me, that is.

bazzer
    Free Member

I think skills courses would help more if done right at the beginning of peoples riding.

Once you have been riding for a while it is very difficult to change that. Most of us are not disciplined enough to let our riding level go backwards in order to go forwards.

I think once you ride at a reasonable level you need a lot of coaching to make a difference and it needs to be on going.

“…how many people go skiing or snowboarding without ever having had some lessons or coaching at least to start with? Why should cycling be so much different…”

Because most of us in the UK grew up riding a bike round where we live and picked it up as we went along.
    Skiing and snowboarding are usually done during limited time on an expensive holiday, so it makes sense to gain as much skill as quickly as possible to make the most of that time.

Do people who grow up in skiing areas go on skiing skills courses or do they just learn from experience the way we do on bikes ?

BadlyWiredDog

‘Totally agree with what GG says. More fashion in MTB’ing than on the catwalk these days. Obviously the marketing works. As for training if you think you need it have it, just don’t forget what it’s all about … FUN TELLING OTHER PEOPLE WHAT THEY SHOULD THINK.’

Fixed it for ya.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

You are not going to improve unless you know which area is lacking and how to fix it – and even if you do know how to fix it (from reading maybe?) it doesn’t mean that you will actually make the required changes on the bike without someone watching/videoing you to show you when you are doing it or when you just think you are.

If you try to make a change of A, most times you will change a small percentage towards A although you think you are making the full change.

riding more will just groove in the bad practises and make it harder to change.

I ski as well, started off with lessons, then read books, then developed some bad habits, recognised this and did some drills to try to drop them, then fixed it fully with more tuition.

cows_in_cars
    Free Member

De-rigueur or not, would say a good skills course is a great way to improve.
    I wasn’t really sure what a skills day could give me but got a voucher for christmas. I have been riding and racing for almost 20 years and fairly quick on technical terrain but a days skills course did so much more for me than I could have hoped. Lot more confident and ‘stable’.
    Perhaps others on the skills day I was on, with less experience, learnt more new techniques than I did but conversely I felt I got the techniques sorted by the end of the day rather than still learning (although still think a lot of the learning happens after the course, as the instructor said). Think just having some one point out your mistakes and know how to correct, correctly them really helps.
    I went from feeling confident on terrain, to feeling like a pro/expert rider, totally amazed at what I learnt. So would say money on a skill day is well spent, much better than the latest this or that..

Gilesey
    Free Member

No other accessory has improved my riding as much as a skills day did. After five years of ‘just riding my bike’, like what he said up there, I came back amazed at what I learnt. (Jules Fincham at Laggan – still owed virtual pint!)

soobalias
    Free Member

post a thread asking how to do a wheelie.

1. read a load of people trying to explain in words how to do it
    2. watch a video of someone doing it
    3. do it
    4. practice it

skills course takes care of 1 & 2 and makes sure you do it right at 3, leaving you to simply practice

in reality everyone knows that a half drunk can of cider in one hand and a ciggy in the other, riding either a hot bike or BSO is the only sure way to achieve the wheelie.

dropoff

BWD you’re barking up the wrong tree. I was telling people what I think 🙂

Stevo210
    Free Member

I cant ride to save my life so Ive booked on to a fashionable course too.
    Lets hope he can work his magic and suggest some colour coded accessories to make me better.
    I’ll update upon my return 🙂

ps. I genuinely do travel faster when my gloves match my jersey!! And I can run faster in new trainers FACT!

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Coaching, for anything, is not an accessory. If folks on here enthuse about their favorite cycling coach it’s because they genuinely feel it was worthwhile and want others to experience the benefit too. You cant show it off, like a flash new bike, but you can impress yourself with some new skills and confidence.

but the easiest way to improve your riding is surely just to ride more

Nope. Not riding will make you worse for sure, but just repeating what you know will not improve you.

Everyone plateaus at some point, at anything, and some earlier than others. Coaching helps those who want to progress beyond their current plateau.

1. read a load of people trying to explain in words how to do it
    2. watch a video of someone doing it
    3. do it
    4. practice it

Mental stuff yes, but this rarely works for me with anything physical. I struggle to translate what I’m seeing and reading into how it works and how it should feel and I’m not physically brave enough to be relaxed about experimenting and falling off. Helping with all this is what a good couch does.

Even just one day of coaching with Stuart has made a noticeable difference to me, for the same price as an XT cassette. I want more, when I can find time.

snakebite
    Free Member

when you are a kid, you get ‘dared’ to step up, which you inevitably do and progress.

As you get older, you may improve with your group of buddies, assuming they are still pushing the envelope of course..

Most people who have been on said skills courses are more than impressed with what they have learnt.

Now if someone did a ‘how to manual all the way to the pub’ course, I reckon we’d all be up for that!

beanieripper
    Free Member

best bet for people needing a skills course is a hardtail, or a bmx..

beanieripper
    Free Member

not trying to offend anyone by the way..i just dont get it..you dont see skateboarders or bmxers doing skills courses,.. but then alot of them arent tubby middle aged weekend warriors..

13thfloormonk

I think in terms of what we spend on components, coaching is probably the best ‘upgrade’ you could ever make.

In the same way, I keep thinking I should get a fitting session (£200?) instead of spending the £500 I’ve earmarked for new wheels (500g saving?) for my road bike.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

not trying to offend anyone by the way..i just dont get it..you dont see skateboarders or bmxers doing skills courses,.. but then alot of them arent tubby middle aged weekend warriors..

Skateboarders and BMXers skills coures:
    http://www.teamextreme.co.uk/Shows/coaching.html

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Beanieripper- They can’t handle the truth! 😉

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Not proper ones!

soobalias
    Free Member

sorry beanieripper, it appears you are middleaged, clinging onto youth with a distasteful desperation. (it werent loike that in moi day!)

most of my lads friends have done bmx training of some sort – much like on here, once one tries it, it catches on and spirals out of control

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Yes, sort of, or probably a new alternative to golf that middle aged men can spend their cash on.

I guess the side of mtbing that appeals to these people is the more “extreme” side of things (downhill) since it appears more impressive when they’re describing it the lads in the office or down the pub.

However, due to catching the sport later on in life, its probably to difficult/risky to learn jumps without some form of guidance. Hence skills days and coaching.

I’m all for it, if I could be bothered then I’d go on a skills day myself.

xiphon
    Free Member

If someone has the money to spare, they will blame their kit, and seek advise about ‘upgrading’ it. Then they will pay to go on a course to ‘improve’ their riding.

Those who don’t have the money, just get out and ride – and learn it’s not about the bike 90% of the time – it’s the rider.

I’ll never go on a course… no chance…. been riding too long.

Arrogant… yes, perhaps, but I don’t give a monkeys.

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Will report back in a few weeks as I have just booked a course.

The only experience I have of coaching is of windsurfing. On the course all goes well but here in UK it can be months before you get to put the things leant into practise. Am hoping this is where the bike will score massively as I should be able to practise within a few mins of the garage.

To tell the truth I am quite excited but also a little nervous in case the course is full of riding gods and whippets leaving me lacking in every department.

TooTall
    Free Member

Anything that requires coordination and body movement will improve with proper coaching – even the most natural at any sport will improve with coaching. I played rugby at National Div 4 level. The club wanted to improve the players speed on the pitch. We started with speed training and fitness for a few weeks. It speeded us all up. We then plateaued. They brought the sprint coach in from the local athletics club who taught us all proper sprinting form. At least a second each improvement over the 100m.

Other branches of cycling use coaching from early on – don’t think that riding a mountain bike makes you a demi-god on your own – even roadies aren’t that up themselves.

jimjam
    Free Member

davidtaylforth

Yes, sort of, or probably a new alternative to golf that middle aged men can spend their cash on.

I guess the side of mtbing that appeals to these people is the more “extreme” side of things (downhill) since it appears more impressive when they’re describing it the lads in the office or down the pub.

First of all, you’re wrong. The side of mountain biking that appeals to “golfers” is definitely all mountain. They like the expense of the bikes, the various technologies and they like something that is fancier than everything else in the trail centre car parks. Of course they would be better off with an xc bike but they’ll buy a top of the range Cannondale Jekyll or Scott Genius etc because they need some skills compensation and they aspire to ride more technical terrain.

There is an implied derogatory tone in your post towards downhill which is prevalent on stw and it is pathetic. You talk as if dh was just show boating for self aggrandizing pub talkers and show offs.

It is the pinnacle of moutainbiking in terms of rider skill, bravery, technology and spectacle. It is inevitable that it should be attractive to people and thank god it is otherwise we would be stuck with roadies in drag mincing around fire roads and middle management tw*ts on ti singlespeeds poncing around bridleways.

kudos100
    Free Member

Pretty sure most people could benefit from a skills course. Rather than spending money on shiny bits, why not spend it on something that actually improves your riding?

‘Just riding’ isn’t the answer, I know lots of people who have ridden for years and may be fit, but have not got much better in terms of skill level.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

First of all, you’re wrong. The side of mountain biking that appeals to “golfers” is definitely all mountain. They like the expense of the bikes, the various technologies and they like something that is fancier than everything else in the trail centre car parks. Of course they would be better off with an xc bike but they’ll buy a top of the range Cannondale Jekyll or Scott Genius etc because they need some skills compensation and they aspire to ride more technical terrain

That’s not right – I was a keen golfer, then I gave up and bought an XC mountain bike purely for fitness, did 70 miles offroad a weekend all year round whatever the weather.

Took me 15 years before I bought an expensive FS, and then it is only short travel.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 218 total)

The topic ‘Have skills courses become the latest de rigueur accessory?’ is closed to new replies.