• This topic has 22 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by nonk.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Have Shimano groupsets all moved up a notch?
  • SaxonRider

I am in the market for a new road bike, and have found that some bikes are using 105 at the £1000-1500 range, while others (particularly Cannondale, Ghost, and a few more) are only speccing Tiagra at that price point.

What’s with that?

Has Tiagra improved so much that it is now the new 105? Or has 105 always been reserved for the closer-to-£2000 range?

And while I’m at it, even Campagnolo’s Veloce seems to be out of range on the few bikes that carry it.

aP
    Free Member

20% devaluation of Sterling = things from abroad are more expensive.

scotroutes

Have prices gone up – yes.

Has Tiagra improved – yes.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mikewsmith
    Free Member

The advice I got was tiaga 10sp.was basically the old 105 10sp now it’s gone 11,tiaha works for me but I’m not. On the world tour

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Tiagra was old 10 speed, but now it’s new 11 speed turned into 10 speed.

Rorschach
    Free Member

You know when they said stuff was going to be more expensive…..they were’nt kidding.

molgrips
    Free Member

Get in quick, is the answer, before May devalues your bike shed even further.

simondbarnes

Shimano (amongst other things) prices have gone up massively.

4700 tiagra is very nice to use these days, has had trickle down from the 11spd groupsets but still 10spd. Quite useful if you want / need to replace a groupset on an older bike but don’t want to splash out for an 11spd compatible rear wheel.

simonbowns
    Free Member

Agreed, the trickle-down has been quite noticeable with Shimano over recent years.

Matt24k
    Free Member

I have 4700 Tiagra on my road bike and it shifts just as nicely as the XT M8000 on my MTB.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Shimano have hiked up prices big time, as have Schwalbe, due to the Brexit vote (devaluation of Sterling) and then wanting to fleece the UK popultion a bit more on top.

Just like Toblerone and many other brands, instead of simply charging you more for the same spec you are used to, they are giving you lower spec for slightly more money than you used to pay.

wwaswas

You’re buying a commodity whose components are priced entirely in dollars.

this is how Sterling has done since Brexit.

A £1600 bike would now be a £2000 bike if nothing else changed.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve got a Cannondale R500 that’s not 12 years old, it originally had tiagra gearing and cost about £850-£900.

The current Cannondale Synapse Tiagra (they don’t do a cheap CAAD12) is £999 (and the 2016 CAAD8 105 is in the sales cheaper).

So inflation isn’t that bad actually.

kimbers

OP the sound of your whimpering is pure pleasure to this man

breatheeasy
    Free Member

It also depends on what kind of frame etc. is on that £1000/1500 bike – a cheaper alloy frame could mean 105 is affordable for the price range, but a better carbon one might mean pennies have to be saved to hit the price point and thus Tiagra pops up. Or you get Tektro/own brand brakes.

Problem for bike makers at that range is that its a jump from 10 to 11 speed. A bit higher up you can get away with the old trick of putting on an Ultegra rear mech with 105 shifter/front as they are both 11 speed, but you can’t mix and match Tiagra/105.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

but you can’t mix and match Tiagra/105.

I think you can.

i.e. you can run 4700 sti with 5800 derailleur for a 10 speed setup, or a 5800 sti with a 4700 derailleur for 11 speed

devash
    Free Member

All you Remoaners on this thread banging on about price increases make me laugh. Just wait until Chairwoman May signs trade deals with Uzbekistan and the Democratic Republic of Congo, then we’ll have access to some fantastic cheap bike kit from those countries which will blow away any of that Japanese junk you are currently riding.

(*disclaimer – sarcastic undertones, may not represent forum member’s actual political views)

postierich
    Free Member

above 😀

benpinnick

You’re buying a commodity whose components are priced entirely in dollars.

Actually with shimano it’s all priced in yen. If you think the dollar chart is a disaster zone you should see it for gbp v jpy although gbp has recovered some ground in the last couple of months.

shermer75
    Free Member

Fake news! Everything is actually cheaper and everyone is going to buy our jam!

cookeaa

Fake news! Everything is actually cheaper and everyone is going to buy our jam!

Damn straight! Uncle Donald just promised us and everything!

larrydavid
    Free Member

I’ve got a Cannondale R500 that’s not 12 years old, it originally had tiagra gearing and cost about £850-£900.

The current Cannondale Synapse Tiagra (they don’t do a cheap CAAD12) is £999 (and the 2016 CAAD8 105 is in the sales cheaper).

So inflation isn’t that bad actually.

I’m pretty sure those era Cannondale were still ‘Handmade in USA’ and were always significantly lower spec’d than the equivalent priced Giant or Specialized (etc.). It was only once production switched to the East prices got more competitive.

nonk
    Free Member

Loving the fact the most visible pic on the wall is the playboy cover 😀

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Have Shimano groupsets all moved up a notch?’ is closed to new replies.