Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Have Shimano fixed the "XTR trail" axle snappage??
  • maxtorque

Last week, 3 pedal strokes into my ride, my XTR trail pedal separated from it’s axle. Not the first time it’s happened to me, so back to the car and i fit my “2nd” set. Well, today, about 5 strokes into my ride, ping, yup, that set went the same way! (amazing they failed so close together)

So, if i buy some new ones, have shimano fixed the issue? (looks like the axle snaps at the base of the threads where the retaining nut sits, so must be a fatigue cycles effect working in from the sharp edge of the threads)

(old pedals had little gold collars, new ones seem to have silver ones, so i think they might have been changed?

sillyoldman

I’m assured it only affected the early M985s (they had allen head bolts securing the binding mechanism to the alu body) later M985s have been fine (Torx bolts rather than allen bolts). M9020s fine too.

Take them back though. Should replace with new ones no problem. Standard XTR warranty is 3 yrs, but expect they’d be lenient on this issue if they’re older.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The topic ‘Have Shimano fixed the "XTR trail" axle snappage??’ is closed to new replies.