Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Have I used too much rim tape?
  • mark88

I’m using Stan’s rims sealed with rim tape for running tubeless. At the moment I have a tube in the rear as sealant had gone off, and I’ll be switching to winter tyres shortly.
    I really struggled to get the tyre on when I put the tube in, needing a mate to give me a hand. I punctured at the weekend whilst I was riding with my gf and embarrasingly had to stop some guys on the trail and ask for help because I couldn’t get the tyre back on. After multiple efforts from all of us (thankfully proving it wasn’t just me with weak hands!) and a snapped lever the tyre went on but the tube must have been pinched in the process meaning ride abandoned.

I know it’s meant to be a bit tighter with tape and tube, but surely not so tights it’s impossible to get a tyre on alone, so is my rim tape too thick?

wwaswas

which tyre?

I had a nightmare with Purgatory’s on Stan’s rims.

daver27
    Free Member

how thick is it exactly?

jekkyl

get some of those large flat plastic levers that *click* together, don’t use the old style ones that are a quid for 3 from poundland.

CheesybeanZ

I’ve bought some spec ground control tyres – gave up trying to get them on a stans rim .
    I’ll try with a metal motor bike tyre lever now the slope fest is about to start .

DaRC_L

I have found Stan’s rims to be a nightmare for all tyres – particuarly first time on

retro83
    Free Member

Are you using this technique (@3:08 onwards)?

If so and it still won’t budge then I’d guess too much tape. Before I found that video I snapped a couple of park levers trying to wedge on a new nobby nic onto my stans flow.

mark88

which tyre?

Bontrager XR2, have had similar problem with Maxxis Ardent.

how thick is it exactly?

Not too sure, probably 2 or 3 layers

mark88

retro83 – No, didn’t do it like that, brute force and levers is my go to technique. Do you use toe straps like in the video?

shermer75
    Free Member

This video says that one layer of tape is enough

Stan’s website

retro83
    Free Member

mark88 – Member

retro83 – No, didn’t do it like that, brute force and levers is my go to technique. Do you use toe straps like in the video?

Nah, I would if I had any, but it seems to work well enough without them.

colournoise

Might be too much tape. Got Purgs on both Flow and Flow EX, and they go on both with just hands and come off with two levers.

Have you got the tyre down in the well of the rim before trying to get the second bead on?

mark88

That worked nicely, cheers Retro!

wwaswas

now pray you don’t get a puncture that needs a new tube when riding 😉

Gunz
    Free Member

I can’t watch the video but I’ve found that levers are no use with tubeless as they require too much slack to get the tyre on. I’ve only had success using thumbs bit by bit.

toppers3933
    Free Member

I can’t see that video but I assume it shows someone pinching the tyre so it settle in the well of the rim on the opposite side of the wheel to where you’re trying to push the tyre on?
    If it doesn’t then that is what you need to do. I can’t remember the last time I had to use tyre levers either to remove or fit a tyre (I do it for a living)!
    You need to make sure that the bead of the tyre isn’t trying to seat itself in the bead of the rim because if it does then you’ll not get anywhere. Not putting too much air in the inner tube helps here too because too much air in the tube tries to seat the tyre, which is bad.

jezzep

Stan’s rims for me too they are a nightmare to get tyres onto…
    Had the same issue with Nobby Nic’s and now Maxxis…I just brought some super strong tyre levers now…

JeZ

joshvegas
    Free Member

Stans are easy.

The Vision Team 30 rims on my road bike are next level.

aracer
    Free Member

That would suggest that like the OP you’re trying to use a brute force and tyre levers approach. I fitted Nobby Nics to mine without tyre levers using the technique discussed above of getting most of the bead into the well of the rim to create slack. This technique isn’t some mysterious dark art – Stans’ rims are specifically designed to allow you to fit tyres using it, with a nice well in the centre of the rim. Admittedly some rims are difficult because they don’t have a significant well in the centre, especially if you apply lots of tape, but that doesn’t apply to Stans. Stans are difficult if you try the brute force approach, because they’re designed to be tight when the beads are seated.

retro83
    Free Member

mark88 – Member

That worked nicely, cheers Retro!

No worries 8)

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Stans and Dampfs were effortless for me.

kerley
    Free Member

One layer of tape should do it. What would adding more layers achieve?

People who bodge it with non tubeless rims add loads of layers to build it up/form a seal between tyre and tape but if using Stans rim that isn’t necessary.

Put a new Conti tyre on an Alpine rime 2 days ago and went straight on, no levers needed.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Have I used too much rim tape?’ is closed to new replies.