Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • have i screwed up my new chain?
  • johnj2000
    Free Member

i have just attempted to fit a shimano HG74 10 speed chain to my new build. as i was pushing through the reinforced connector pin i went too far though. can this issue be fixed or am i stuffed and need to buy another chain?

cheers

j

Northwind

You might be able to fix it with what you have, but you can definately fix it by fitting a powerlink

RealMan
    Free Member

Can’t you just push it back in from the other side? Or take it out and use a quick link (which really, is the only way you should be joining chains).

johnj2000
    Free Member

tried pushing out but it appears to spread a bit as its inserted. What is this quick link or power link stuff? i have heard of it but thought it was only useable on SRAM or KMC(or something like that)?

andyl
    Free Member
    johnj2000
    Free Member

bought! just an eight quid mistake rather than a lot more. Cheers guys.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

good to carry a spare link on the trail as well.

lipseal
    Free Member

Just use a 9 speed link, it will work and it’s reusable not like some of the 10 speed ones.

walla24
    Free Member

cant you just push it all the way through and start again?
    provided you still have the rounded guide bit still attached…

johnj2000
    Free Member

because i am a useless muppet who is trying to get to grips with building a bike without any prior experience walla 🙂 i snapped off the rounded guide bit .

Northwind

KMC powerlink is reusable btw, and that’s the price for 2 so you’ll have a trail spare too.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘have i screwed up my new chain?’ is closed to new replies.