Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Have I knackered my fork
  • cubist
    Free Member

One of my caliper bolts had worked lose so I started tightening it and it just turned and turned. When I removed it I found a coil of soft metal was wound round the thread which must be the thread from inside the caliper mount on the fork.

Is this game over? If not what can I do?

faustus

Well, it’s not good for resale value, but a friend did the same thing on the post mount of a RS Recon fork. You can tap the thread out to a larger size (and the caliper hole made slightly bigger) and use a bigger bolt. It’s at the limit but it will work, just forget about warranties and stuff like that anymore!

faustus

For more cash you could also get new lowers if you’re feeling a bit more flush?

stevied
    Free Member

Possibly heli-coilable depending on the condition of the hole/amount of room around it. Go see an engineering company as they might be able to do it for you..

khani
    Free Member

Helicoil, or a slightly longer bolt..
    I’ve got a Fox fork with a helicoil and it’s been fine for over a year, I think the helicoils stronger than the thread was originally..

gixerator
    Free Member

+1 on Heli-coil

deano8
    Free Member

Plus one for heli coil, a local firm did mine after I bought a threaded fork of someone. He said they should all be sold heli coiled in the first place as they’re far stronger.
    Cost me £35 for both.

tomaso
    Free Member

Araldite? :mrgreen:

Are they IS mount or post mount? If IS mount you could sneak a nut round the back if there is space?

khani
    Free Member

It’ll be a post mount, all the threads are on the adapter on an IS mount..

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’ve fitted helicoils for a couple of mates now. Easy enough to do at home with some basic kit.

cubist
    Free Member

I think I will try a longer bolt first as its the top bolt it should be taking less force when braking. If I’m not 100% satisfied I’ll get it heli-coiled.

New lowers the week before Xmas is not something I fancy investing in…

cubist
    Free Member

PS Thanks for the advice

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Have I knackered my fork’ is closed to new replies.