Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Have I just seen the ISS?
  • zippykona

A constant white light that moved towards the east and then disappeared.
    About 9.50 over Surrey.

matthewjb
    Free Member

It was due over at about 9.48 so I would guess ‘yes’

Cloudy here sadly.

maxtorque

Yes, i just looked, tracking it on line. It was VERY bright tonight, about 75 degrees above the southern horizon and moving pretty much from due west to south east

ElShalimo

maxtorque – have you got a link to the tracking website?

andytherocketeer

http://www.heavens-above.com

saw it earlier

got another pass that goes almost perfectly overhead, here, in 2 days time.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

From 2 nights ago

andytherocketeer

have a look for iridium flares too (they’re on the heavens-above site – but you need to put in an accurate location)
    way brighter sometimes, but only last a few seconds

seadog101

I saw it when I lived down in New Zealand. One of the shuttles was attached at the time, and it made it even bigger and brighter than usual. Maybe I was kidding myself, but with the binos I could make out the two shapes clearly.

zippykona

What time can we see it next, will it be in the same place?

andytherocketeer

in surrey?

17th: 21:02 – 21:08 going from West to East (looks like that’ll be a good one)
    18th: 21:50 W to E, but not so high up
    19th: 21:02 same

http://www.heavens-above.com stick your location in there, and it will tell you. click on a list entry, and it gives a sky map, so you can see which constellations it passes through (although the best ISS visibility is when it is not properly dark, so may only be a few brightest stars, plus Jupiter etc. visible)

crazy-legs

What time can we see it next, will it be in the same place?

It has an irregular orbit so it covers the whole earth surface. So sometimes you can see it every day for a week, other times it’ll be out of sight for a month.

Have a look at the tracking websites, there’s also an Android app called Satellite AR that’s worth a look – tells you all the satellites that you can see from your location at any given time.

In the UK, ISS usually goes from West or South West to East or North East. Usually a very bright, fast moving light.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Have I just seen the ISS?’ is closed to new replies.