Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Have i Broken or fractured my wrist?
  • lyons
    Free Member

Right basically 3 weeks ago, I had a slow speed crash where i put my wrist out. When i landed there was a very sharp pain, then it seemed to ache ALOT for 2 days. Iw ent to see a doctor and he gave me anti inflamatorys. After 3 days it more or less stopped hurting, and i went to my physio, he seemed to think it was a bad sprain. It kept on clicking for about a week after the crash, the one time it clicked loudly, hurt for a bit and stopped. After this, its just ached a bit if i use it alot,or jar it. Today i must have done something as it's started clicking again, and feels a bit wierd. It doenst really hurt, just cant move it fully and if i try to rotate it, it feels a bit uncomfortable.

WHen i first did it i had a small amount of brusing on the outside of my hand…

Any opinions? I think i shoudl try to get an x ray, but its hardly an emergency so where should i go to get it done? Doctors for a refferel?

Any opinions are appreciated…

Cheers, Andy

radoggair
    Free Member

pics?

If not, it aint broken thats for sure. Prob some bad muscle and tendon damage. Both my wrists click

stumpytrek
    Free Member

Hard to say either way. I'd see your GP. He can arrange xray or physio if needed.

jedi

i'd go now to xray. wont be busy 🙂

lyons
    Free Member

I have no pics, there is nothing to see, just used to be a bit of bruising

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Fractured means broken!

I doubt it but it is possible – there are a various small bones that you can put cracks in. well worth a second opinion – GP first – he can refer you for an x ray if needed. He / she should know a series of tests for checking for breaks in the small bones

Its no an accident or emergency so don't go to A&E

lyons
    Free Member

TJ – that is what i thought… How important is it to get checked? Should i call first thing in the morning and make an appointment ASAP?

I thought broken and fractured were slightly different! If it is, can they normally give you a cast with some movement, as I really cant be in a full plaster cast, I need to keep working.

Woody
    Free Member

Some bedtime reading HERE should put your mind at rest.

jedi

i read it for you lyons, it says cut it off with a junior hacksaw

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Its been 3 wks how important is it?

I really don't know enough but it don't sound that urgent to me. Make a routine appt with your GP unless it gets worse. No point in uneeded delay tho Thats what I would do. If you need a cast it is to immobilise the broken bit! I doubt you have broken it- sounds more like ligaments to me

lyons
    Free Member

TJ, thanks for the advice, it makes sense. I have ignored it so far, but its the clicking thats wierd and the fact it went away and came back… I'll call them tomorow just to be on the safe side…

Jedi – Will an angle grinder be ok? I snapped my junior hacksaw blade the other day…

jedi

use the small scissors on a swiss army knife

lyons
    Free Member

hmm, will nail scissors do?

jedi

yep, post pics 🙂

lyons
    Free Member

😕 I'm not sure i should follow your advice on this one mate… I'll see how I feel in the morning. I think i'll comprimise and settle for one of these that i have at work…

dr_death
    Free Member

As TJ says it's not an accident or and emergency so please go and see your GP. If it's been 3 weeks then it's also not an urgent GP thing. Get a routine appointment, he will poke and prod it and probly send you for an x-ray. If the radiographers (x-ray technicians wot take the photos) see anything obvious they will let one of the hospital docs know and get you sorted/an appointment there and then. If they can't see owt obvious they'll send you on your merry way. X-ray then reviewed by senior x-ray doc and report sent to your GP.

Sounds unlikely to be broken, probly ligament damage. (What is everyone's problem with the difference between ligaments and tendons – it really winds me up.) There are 15 bones all meet up at the wrist, held together by a multitude of ligaments and it's therefore pretty easy to damage one/some of them. They usually get better on their own but physio can sometimes help speed things along a little.

Death

grazedknees
    Free Member

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Lyons – bad news! It did look a bit nasty when you did it 🙁

Most breaks take about 4-6 weeks to heal – I'd leave it for a few more weeks perhaps strap it up, if it still hurts get down B&Q

grazedknees
    Free Member

Fractured Scphoid is the one to watch out for. Difficult to pick up on an xray, common mtb injury and can cause problems if left untreated so suggest you get it looked at sooner rather than later.

eckinspain
    Free Member

dr_death, what IS the difference between ligaments and tendons?

and fractured and broken are the same thing, right?

grim168
    Free Member

I fell off riding home from the pub a few years ago. Fell over clipped in and put hand out to break my fall. Got up next morning to quite a bit of pain so went to a and e. Xrays showed no break. One week later and pain getting worse so went back. More xrays showed a broken scaphoid. I'd allready researched on net and suspected that. Doctors appologised for missing it but after reading up I understood how easy that is. (In the states with their litigation they always scan rather than xray a suspected broken scaphoid) Three months later all was ok. Its a little bone with a crap blood suppply so takes a while to heal. It's also quite a common injury for cyclists due to putting your hand out to break your fall and your thumb extends back to far.

Graham

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Ligaments hold bones together, tendons attach muscles to bones

Fractured / broken mean the same thing. Those in the trade will tend to use fractured but the two words are synonymous

There is quite a good test for fractured scaphoid without x rays which is one of the things I would expect a gp to do. "Pain in the snuffbox" google for it if you want – Its hard to describe and I wouldn't want to get it wrong

lyons
    Free Member

I don't think it's the scaphoid as the pain is on the other side…

lyons
    Free Member

Right I've got an appointment at 10 with my rather hot gp… I'll see what she has to say…

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Post photos too! Of the GP (unless its a bloke) 😉

lyons
    Free Member

Bushwacked, good idea… Any tips on how to get HER to let me get the camera out?

Tim
    Free Member

If you can tolerate it (e.g. uncomfortable rather than painful) then its not broken 🙂

But good to get it checked regardless (although not at A & E)

In my experience anyway – broken a few bones in the past!

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Ask her to show you her boobs, while she's distracted get it out

lyons
    Free Member

Mmm, I'll be the one who is distracted if she does that..

lyons
    Free Member

Right, seen the very nice doctor ( I think I'm in love) and had an xray… It's all ok, no breaks, so I'm off to see my physio again tomorrow night

I'm preety relieved really…

ourmaninthenorth

Right, seen the very nice doctor ( I think I'm in love) and had an xray… It's all ok, no breaks

I'm sure there's a rude joke about broken wrists and attractive doctors in there somewhere…. 🙄

dr_death
    Free Member

eckinspain – what TJ said (although I prefer the catch all term 'Bust')

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Have i Broken or fractured my wrist?’ is closed to new replies.