Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Have i broken my bike frame (numpty content)
  • Scamper
    Free Member

2009 Stumpjumper. After riding on Dartmoor this weekend while cleaning the frame this morning, i’ve only just noticed that the bottom of the downtube has been folded in on both sides with effectively two creases which are deep enough to crack the paint. I can’t believe i have not noticed this before. The only suggestion i’ve got is 2 weeks ago, in a rush post ride, i forgot to lash the tyres onto the car roof bike rack. When picking up speed the wind managed to knock the down tube securing bar backwards so that the bike was half way down the rear window. The crease marks are roughly where the carrier bar grips would be in this position.

Obviously i’ll get the LBS to check it out, but to prepare myself is it likely that;

a) the frame is dead

b) could the bike carrier grips really do this damage or can i hope its a frame failure, and if so what do I do

c) how do i break the news to my pregnant Wife I need a new frame when her perfectly good 08 rockhopper is sitting in the shed, unused.

GaryLake
    Free Member

Pregnant Wife you say? You’ll be lucky if you even get out on the Rockhopper once the little one drops 😉

z1ppy

flog the rockhopper quick, before you mention the stumpies issues to the wife… ergo no ‘spare’ frame for you to use & even a bit of spare cash to put towards a new one.

Scamper
    Free Member

As she has just taken delivery of two new sofa’s this morning, I may have a window of opportunity to negotiate.

therealhoops
    Free Member

a)frame is f##ked
    b)doesn’t matter, your frame is f##ked
    c)how far gone is she? have chocolate on standby

falkirk-mark

I am in the process of having a 2005 fsr xc frame replaced under warranty with a 2010 frame. When I was in the shop the guy told me of someone who had damaged a frame (that was not warranty damage) and the guy got a new frame at a serious discount (think £900 frame for £150) Spesh are really good to deal with.

Scamper
    Free Member

LBS don’t think its structural but want a second opinion from Spesh, but did mention the `cheap’ new frame route. Also i pointed out the small cracks on the chainstay which are much older but i had completely forgotten about, so we’ll see.

ahsf
    Free Member

crash replacment at trade price even if you have damaged it yourself they are keen to keep you riding on there bikes.

Bregante

Scamper – Member
    As she has just taken delivery of two new sofa’s this morning, I may have a window of opportunity to negotiate.
    POSTED 7 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

love it. You sit on the floor do you?

ratherbeintobago

Go to shop, buy new frame (on crash replacement scheme if poss); pretend to wife it was a warranty replacement?

Andy

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Have i broken my bike frame (numpty content)’ is closed to new replies.