Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Have I bought the wrong headset? (HOPE)
  • organic355
    Free Member

Frame Turner Flux 2011
    Headset Hope Conventional 1-1/8

Doesn’t seem to fit although I am sure I have seen fluxes with these headsets on before. I have normally had integrated headsets, but this one needs a headset press right? (Stupid question I guess, but help me out, this type is of headset new to me). I guess if it needs a headset press its to the bike shop with it, unless there are any bodges? 🙂

Also it comes with one of those expansion bolt jobbies that I thought were for carbon steerers, but my (non carbon) forks have got a star nut in them. Can I just screw the bolt and top cap into the star nut or should I hammer the star nut in and use the expansion bolt? I trust the star nut more than one of those expansion bolts TBH

Any advice appreciated. Its only easy if you know how right?

simondbarnes

but this one needs a headset press right?

Ideally, yes

Can I just screw the bolt and top cap into the star nut

Yes

mtbfix

You could probably fudge a headset press with those free weights on your floor. Or a hammer and a lump of wood. Or take it to a shop to be done properly. Headset looks right though.

organic355
    Free Member

anyone close to Dundee got a headset press I can borrow?

making one, hmm now theres a challenge!! I am off to see what I can throw together.

seriously though can you just batter it in with a bit of wood and a rubber mallet? or will skeewiffness result?

organic355
    Free Member

interesting homemade ones here:

http://forums.bicycletutor.com/thread-922.html

IA

can you just batter it in with a bit of wood and a rubber mallet?

It’s probably possible, but if it goes wrong it doesn’t go squint, you crack the frame. You need a fair bit of force.

To the bike shop with you!

MSP

I made a press with some big washers and a length of threaded rod, but it can be a pain getting the headset in straight if its a bit tight, patience is definitely a virtue.

Not what you mean about not trusting the expansion bolt, what’s not to trust? its only there to apply the minimal of pressure while you tighten the headset bolts.

andyl
    Free Member

I also thought about using those weights.

But in an expensive frame if I hadn’t done one before I would just get a shop to do it.

And yes, the top cap is only used to pre-load (lightly) the headset and as soon as the stem bolts are done up it has no more function other than filling a hole. Do not really tighten up the top cap bolt as it will put too much load on the bearings and with the Hope ones the bolt will snap as it is aluminium.

organic355
    Free Member

what are the 3 x 0.4mm shims that come with the headset?

it says to install them “if necessary” very helpful indeed!!

wwaswas

Go to park tool.com and look at instructions on headset fitting and set up.

Pay attention to bit about trimming fork steerer!

organic355
    Free Member

my forks are already trimmed, went through that trauma and probably similar post of stupid questions on here lat year 🙂

I so want to bodge the headset on tonight so I can get the forks on, but I think I will take to local bike shop in the morning. This will be my last bike build for a very long time as the Flux and my crosslight are all I will ever need so buying a headset press isnt an option.

andyl
    Free Member

the shims are to shim up the top cap to reduce the rub of the seal around the edge.

Mackem

No such thing as a stupid headset question. Tricky little buggers.

dantsw13

I hammered in my last headset with one of those cricket -ball-on-a-stick things for breaking in cricket bats – into a carbon frame too!!!!

RobHilton
    Free Member

the Flux and my crosslight are all I will ever need

Famous last words :mrgreen:

Northwind

Rubber mallet time.

ahwiles
    Free Member

i use a bit of wood, i’ve got a headset-specific 2ft piece of pine called ‘the sword of dobber’

it’s never failed me yet, but i’m blessed with a super-human level of mechanical empathy.

take it to the bike shop, with some biscuits.

RustyMac

ahwiles

I feel so insecure now!

Firstly my wooden headset press doesn’t have a name and secondly it is only 1.5ft long now as the other 0.5 is used as a support block for the opposite end of the headtube. 😳

topcat88
    Free Member

LBS all the way. No point risking it, I’ve fitted more headsets than i can remember and its such a painless task with a press.

Wood and a hammer worked for rough handed BMX days though…

tomhoward

No such thing as a stupid headset question. Tricky little buggers.

Do they come with crown races?

oldnick

Sticking the cups in the freezer can help get them started in the absence of a press, they are so lightweight though that you have to be quick before they warm up. My ex was resigned to the freezer and the oven being used to ease MX parts together, or maybe that’s why I’m the ex…

organic355
    Free Member

All installed!!

mtbfix

I think you need more kindling in your garage.

organic355
    Free Member

me too but Ive got nowhere to put it, got about 4 pallets and some off cuts from my joiner friend to chop up. This lot should see me through next winter though!

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

It may be me or just the picture but those forks don’t look as though they are sitting correctly in the bottom headset cup and the top headset cup doesn’t look as though it’s in as far as it will go .

simondbarnes

Not sure I’d want to clamp a thin walled aluminium tube there :-/

davidjohn
    Free Member

“Not sure I’d want to clamp a thin walled aluminium tube there :-/ “

+1

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Have I bought the wrong headset? (HOPE)’ is closed to new replies.