Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Have i bitten off more than i can chew? (fork service content)
  • mattk
    Free Member

I’m planning to service my fox forks this week, and the service kit just arrived in the post.

I have never seen so many washers, seals, grommits and grub screws in my life. I’m now having second thoughts about the whole endevour.

Any words of wisdom, before i get the tools out?…

wwaswas

take it slowly.

print the instructions off so you’re not trying to uyse a laptop mid-service

get a large clear area to lay stuff on as you take it apart.

clean it all thoroughly

if you get confused/have trouble/aren’t sure walk away for 20 minutes and have a think, don’t just press on regardless.

use the right lubes/greases in the specified quantities.

don’t put the lowers on to the forks the wrong way round you’ll feel a right chump when you triumphantly remove the fully reassembled forkl from the vice and turn it the right way up again. *ahem*

theflatboy
    Free Member

Go for it, I did the same on mine recently having never done it before. It was an educational experience, but ultimately successful.

Make sure you have a bucket, towel and plenty of other liquid-protection beforehand for all the oil that will be involved!

bigyinn
    Free Member

Go to the fox site and look at the user guides, have a look on youtube etc.
    Have a clean area where you can set bits out as you removed them too.

Take your time, have a break if its getting too much and [list]don’t involve beer until the forks are back together and working![/list]

theflatboy
    Free Member

One other thing, every guide you read stresses how delicate the 26mm (or whatever it is) nut on the top of each side of the crown is. This is not an exaggeration – they are unbelievably cheese-like and will wilt and wither at the hint of a misapplied spanner. Treat them gently!

theroadwarrior
    Free Member

Grub screws..?

Sure you’ve got the right kit?!

On a serious note, don’t forget to check your sag once you get them back together- don’t just put the same air pressure in and assume the sag is correct.

sandwicheater

Youtube is your friend.

Grub screws are for the lowers I seem to remember.

gusamc
    Free Member

a generic taking it apart tip I got was get the camera out and photo it as you take it apart that way you can ‘remember’ what went where

plyphon
    Free Member

Get someone with clean hands to take photos as you take apart bits

It’s actually kinda easy.

Well, my RS Revs were anyway :p

mattk
    Free Member

Sure you’ve got the right kit?!

I presume so, I spoke to mojo over the phone and they explained exactly which one was needed.

I have the guide printed out(even put it in a ring binder) got the oil ready and a big work space. I like the photo idea, I might even film it.

I’ve done work on every part of my bikes including builds, a fork service was the one thing I’ve always put off. Right ill finish work early this afternoon and get started, here goes…..

mrblobby
    Free Member

Looks forward to an afternoon following a fork service thread with photos 🙂

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Have i bitten off more than i can chew? (fork service content)’ is closed to new replies.